copy rights

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

Killer AK
Rattler

copy rights

Post by Killer AK »

i just read that battlezone had it's copy rights bought by a small company from bankrupt atari?
anyone have any thoughts about this?
maybe a battlezone 3 is on the way one day?
i thought there was a lot of copy right holders for this game? how does that work with activision involved, electronic arts-pandemc, evolve, and atari?
Ded10c
Recycler

Re: copy rights

Post by Ded10c »

To the best of our knowledge Rebellion knows the name Battlezone and the intellectual property for the 1980 game and its later clones (including the PSP and XBLA versions). The rights to the PC FPS/RTS games are in Activision's IP Hell.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Killer AK
Rattler

Post by Killer AK »

i wrote rebellion on facebook and e-mail from thier website asking for any battlezone news and if they owned all the rights to bz1 and bz2.
they yet to reply but if we were able to show some support it might encourage them to release some news.
rebellion is currently advertising sniper elite 3 on facebook. check it out and don't forget to submit a battlezone question ;)

(thanks Ahadley, that was a great reply. hopefully more news will come to light.)
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

It'd be nice for Battlezone 1 and Battlezone 2 to get onto Steam and/or Good Old Games.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

That reminds me - vote to get it on gog here! (The big problem with that is that the huge number of entries, so best vote them all up)
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Killer AK
Rattler

Post by Killer AK »

Steam is of the devil. That would suck so bad. That would be like EA making Battlezone 3 and publishing the game unfinnished, yet again.
RubiconAlpha
Rattler

Post by RubiconAlpha »

Ultraken wrote:It'd be nice for Battlezone 1 and Battlezone 2 to get onto Steam and/or Good Old Games.
If someday GOG or Steam makes one or both of the BZ (PC) games available, would it be just the stock versions or "official" patched versions of the game or some current patch version?

Would the current copy holders and/or GOG/Steam even do much to make it playable on modern PCs or leave it to our current community's "un-official" patches and updates to keep the game playable?

As subdivided groups has been a constant with the history of either game (mostly centered around patches) what community would be created with a download version of the game?

Just a thought.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i'm thinking they'd do the minimum and let gsh and ken keep patching it, maybe for a few bucks on the side.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

It's only sensible to supply the original version, doing anything else just removes choice and makes life more difficult for end users, rather than less. You cannot un-patch and all of the updates are designed to work on the original version.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.