Pilot respawn height in Strats

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

How should the STRAT pilot respawn height be changed? (Pick one from each half)

Toggle: No toggle
6%
Toggle: On/Off toggle
28%
Toggle: Variable range multiplier
34%
Default: As is
22%
Default: None
3%
Default: Comment
6%

Total votes: 32

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Pilot respawn height in Strats

Post by Nielk1 »

I heard from Vearie, Purplehaze, Sly, and Darkwarrior directly that the re-spawn height in a STRAT is detrimental to play. I had heard uttering of this from other STRAT players but simply because I was talking to these people at the time they were in a game was I able to hear it for sure. While one suggested removing it, another suggested a toggle or option.

An option would be easy to do with a DLL and CFG edit, but I want to put some feelers out on this. Someone please go post this on BZ2Maps or ask some of their members to come and seriously reply to this topic and vote in the poll.

If I hear support for this, I will move forward in engineering the change and submitting it for the 1.3 patch. (No promises of course.)

EDIT: For note, the height is based on your distance from the Recycler. This makes it so the attackers have a longer wait to get back in the fight and the defenders less so. Or so I surmise. I feel it is unlikely this was related to acid cloud, though it is possible that the base height might be related. I could easily factor in time alive to make a fast re-death = a higher spawn height.
Zero Angel
Attila

Re: Pilot respawn height in Strats

Post by Zero Angel »

High respawn height is something that's annoying in a strat environment. A toggle would be nice, if not lowering it altogether.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Zero Angel wrote:High respawn height is something that's annoying in a strat environment. A toggle would be nice, if not lowering it altogether.
Any opinion on what default would be preferred? I set the poll up to allow re-voting because of how unorthodox it is to have 2 polls in 1.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Nielk1 wrote:I heard from Vearie, Purplehaze, Sly, and Darkwarrior directly that the re-spawn height in a STRAT is detrimental to play.
Count me in.

A toggle would definitely be great.
darkwarrior
Drunken Constructor

Post by darkwarrior »

Thanks for making a post, it is nice to see this addressed.
Vearie
Griefer

Post by Vearie »

Anything that doesn't exceed 70 meters is good, seeing your base get helplessly destroyed while falling down for 20 seconds is never a good feeling.

Spawn killing with acid cloud or pulse stab is not a problem, if it were at that point and the other team isn't finishing, just leave.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

pretty sure its height is related to distance from base when killed to counter getting a quick trip back to base when killed, which makes sense to me.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

To be more specific, IMO the best choice would be an on/off toggle where "on" = 1.2 respawn height and "off" = 1.3 respawn height. Variable meter would just mess things up unnecessarily and cause too much of a fuss with especially newbie hosts.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Fulmen wrote:To be more specific, IMO the best choice would be an on/off toggle where "on" = 1.2 respawn height and "off" = 1.3 respawn height. Variable meter would just mess things up unnecessarily and cause too much of a fuss with especially newbie hosts.
That is a good point. The happy medium might be an Off/Half/On 3 button combo or some such. This would allow for reduced penalty if so wished. This of course depends primarily on what others say on the subject.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Fulmen wrote:To be more specific, IMO the best choice would be an on/off toggle where "on" = 1.2 respawn height and "off" = 1.3 respawn height. Variable meter would just mess things up unnecessarily and cause too much of a fuss with especially newbie hosts.
On and off aren't the same entities in that case. 1.3 uses a coefficient I'm assuming, 1.2 does not.

Being able to change that coefficient would be good, with the current coefficient being the max.

Also working on getting all pilot weapons to disable for 5 seconds after death... no accidental jetpacks into orbit, no accidental wasted snipes IMMEDIATELY after death (where you didn't think you died when run over but actually were, how many times does that suck....>_>
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

An excellent point about the jet-packs Zax. That might be more an engine solution but I will consider it as an issue to look into.

Off would be the removal of the co-efficient and the creation of a static re-spawn height. I prefer any solution that adds options, but not too many options to be confusing, and has the default as what the players at large would want.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Nielk1 wrote:An excellent point about the jet-packs Zax. That might be more an engine solution but I will consider it as an issue to look into.

Off would be the removal of the co-efficient and the creation of a static re-spawn height. I prefer any solution that adds options, but not too many options to be confusing, and has the default as what the players at large would want.
Low medium high would be good..with low being nearly off or a coefficient of 1.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

hey, why have any wait at all? just respawn in a ship. :roll:
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Red Devil wrote:hey, why have any wait at all? just respawn in a ship. :roll:
I don't know why you're trying to have input into this. You don't even play strat.
APCs r Evil
Sabre

Post by APCs r Evil »

I actually like the respawn height in 1.3, it never really seemed detrimental to me. Still, if it's bothering people, I say give it a toggle switch.