how you make model

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Zax
Attila

Re: how you make model

Post by Zax »

NURMs my friend, the cheap and easy detail 8-)
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Col Klink wrote:Exactly the same? Why would anyone be using MAX if GMAX was so useful for BZII?? They're still different enough bro where BZII is concerned.
He specified the difference.
Col Klink wrote:Plugging TS? Truespace, is a way better choice then MAX in several ways including cost. How's that for a plug?
That was a plug too.
Col Klink wrote:TS, is a speed modeler. I'll bet TS can run circles around both GMAX and MAX in terms of getting models created in less time with less complexity even by people who never touched a 3D modeling software before.
It is only a speed modeler when you make things as crude as what is pictured in Feenix's avatar. The same models could be made extremely quickly in MAX. In fact, the same models could be made faster in MAX.
Col Klink wrote:MAX, is over rated for a game like BZII, and people who buy it soley for BZII model creation paid way too much for the priviledge.
Max is far from overrated. If you got it for JUST BZ2, you still can use it for other things, including rendering movies and making prototypes.
Col Klink wrote:But hey, everybody is in entitled to their own opinion right? :mrgreen:
Apparently not. If anyone dares mention the advantages of MAX and how in their opinion it is the best and why around you you go nuts.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

KingpinAkaDaRapper wrote:how do u make a 3d model and export into bz2 like .xsi model??
I was thinking if you want to just try MAX go to Autodesks website and check out the demo version for yourself. It has some limitations I'm sure but it would give you an opportunity to kick the tires on MAX and decide without any up front costs. If you like it then you could always but the full version later on. Don't waste time with GMAX it's simple not optimized for BZII and you'll just get frustrated trying to improvise ways to get BZII models converted and working properly. Blender and Truespace are decent free modelers if you choose that route. Good luck bro.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Nielk1 wrote:
Col Klink wrote:Exactly the same? Why would anyone be using MAX if GMAX was so useful for BZII?? They're still different enough bro where BZII is concerned.
He specified the difference.
Col Klink wrote:Plugging TS? Truespace, is a way better choice then MAX in several ways including cost. How's that for a plug?
That was a plug too.
Col Klink wrote:TS, is a speed modeler. I'll bet TS can run circles around both GMAX and MAX in terms of getting models created in less time with less complexity even by people who never touched a 3D modeling software before.
It is only a speed modeler when you make things as crude as what is pictured in Feenix's avatar. The same models could be made extremely quickly in MAX. In fact, the same models could be made faster in MAX.
Col Klink wrote:MAX, is over rated for a game like BZII, and people who buy it soley for BZII model creation paid way too much for the priviledge.
Max is far from overrated. If you got it for JUST BZ2, you still can use it for other things, including rendering movies and making prototypes.
Col Klink wrote:But hey, everybody is in entitled to their own opinion right? :mrgreen:
Apparently not. If anyone dares mention the advantages of MAX and how in their opinion it is the best and why around you you go nuts.
You bring up some very good points I agree with some of them too. Unfortunatley, you too plug MAX with almost every comment. Plugging seems to be standard fare these days.

I tried GMAX and found I did more reading about how to actually use it then actually creating models and props. I didn't like the user interface on GMAX so I'm sure I wouldn't like the MAX interface either. It's a fine modeling software but like Blender it's a bit too complicated to actually use.

When I plug Truespace it's not for the benefit of MAX users but simply for new modelers looking for a model making solution more or less. The crude models I make for BZII are just that. BZII, is crude game by modern videogame standards and high poly models and BZII don't go together in the same sentence.

For $3000 I would hope that MAX users use it for other projects then BZII otherwise you screwed yourself and paid too much for your 3D modeling software.
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

Now you're just grasping for straws. I'll leave it at that.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Nielk1 wrote:
Shadow Knight wrote:I'm not entirely sure why you think that's worth saying "DEFINITELY DO NOT GO GET THIS SOFTWARE".
Because if you get GMAX you are not getting his favorite software, and how can he get any help and support if no one but he uses said software.

GMAX is very good. It has lots of mod-packs that add more formats, so there are a great many conversion paths.
There's also the free demo version of MAX which doesn't cost anything to try out. That would be a better choice then GMAX. Truespace is a free full version with both version 6.6 for BZII and version 7.61 for newer applications.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

3DS Max is good. I use it and most will agree I make some pretty nice models in it, and it doesn't take me that long either. There's a reason Max, Maya and Softimage are the most widely used commercial 3D Modellers. Next to ZBrush if you class that as a modelling program. (I class it as one of the hardest frikken programs to use ever).

Tried truespace and GSL, didn't like them. Preferred 3DS Max, I get stuff done quicker, and to high quality I think most here will agree. I model for Unreal Engine and for BZ2, 3DS Max is superior for both in my experience.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

TheJamsh wrote:3DS Max is good. I use it and most will agree I make some pretty nice models in it, and it doesn't take me that long either. There's a reason Max, Maya and Softimage are the most widely used commercial 3D Modellers. Next to ZBrush if you class that as a modelling program. (I class it as one of the hardest frikken programs to use ever).

Tried truespace and GSL, didn't like them. Preferred 3DS Max, I get stuff done quicker, and to high quality I think most here will agree. I model for Unreal Engine and for BZ2, 3DS Max is superior for both in my experience.
You know what's kind of funny? The original poster posted only twice and the rest of these 4 pages of threads and counting have been nothing more then 4 pages of bashing each other about how GMAX is or isn't of any use for BZII. I've got get a life and from the look of it so do some of you other guys. LOL. :lol:
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

More like four pages of BNG multilogging to stir up the forum. You really do need to get a life.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Shadow Knight wrote:More like four pages of BNG multilogging to stir up the forum. You really do need to get a life.
It was just a joke to lighten up a thread which seemed to be sinking into yet another flame fest. What get's old though is giving lame advice to someone new to the forum asking for some direction on how to make BZII models and convert them to XSI for the game.

Why the advice to just get the demo version of MAX instead of just saying get GMAX didn't come up is a real shame? Now, that I think about it more; I really wish that when I was new to modeling back in 2005 why didn't existing MAX user's just simply recomend that over GMAX? It wouldn't have made much difference in my case as I still find the MAX user interface odd like that of many other 3d modeling software. Here goes another plug; sorry I can resist pluging it. TS, is easy learn and use by average people. It supports animation unlike GMAX for BZII. I also like it because it has 2 full free versions of Caligari Truespace.

BTW, if you get TS 7.6 don't mess with it for BZII use the Truespace 6 tab to create your models models and export them as DirectX and check the Text box in the exporter box. In the settings dialog, put an X in the following export setting panel> export geometry> export textures> triangulate all faces> inlined material> convert resolution to> Closest 2^n size> export animation; all the other settings can be left alone. You can visit my modeling forum for more help @ Leroy's BZII modeling forum.

Call me crazy if you want to but I really can't afford to give up a left bun just to make some simple 3D models for a now really old video game. I'm basically a starving artist as it is now no pun intended. I work for a non profit organization here in Texas, so my 3D modeling options are pretty limited. I would imagine though that I'm not only one either. You all should factor that in when you diss people for their preferences or label them as trouble makers. ;)
Last edited by Col Klink on Sun May 22, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

I have 4 versions of 3d Studio max that I use for different things. I use 3dmax version 1.1 (yea oooold) because it's the only version that works with the model exporter for this game that I make lots of stuff for. I use 3dmax V3 mostly for just exporting BZ2 models because it's the best exporter for BZ2 I've used so far. I make my models in Blender and then export and import into 3dmax v3 to setup hardpoints and export for BZ2. Then I have 3dmax v6 which I've played around with. I also have 3dmax v9 I believe it is because it's the only version that will work with another exporter for a game that I've made a few models for. I'm pretty sure I have Maya around here somewhere but I haven't really played with it yet. All those 3dmax and I still use Blender for making all my models lol. I'm slowly learning more and more in 3dmax but I usually just stick with Blender which seems to get better and better with the newer versions. It would be nice to be able to just use one of them for everything but I don't think that's going to happen lol.

It seems like there is usually a way to get a model into BZ2 somehow no matter what 3d modeling program you are using. Use which ever one feels right for you I suppose. That's why I stuck with Blender and I'm learning new things all the time with it.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

If you're a student at a university and have an email address that ends in .edu, then you can get any Autodesk software for free, from them. It's really neat.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Yes, whatever works best for you.

I started with Sketchup 10 years ago and am relieved it caught on and has a ton of plugins avaliable through Ruby code.

I know a little 3D Max since it's tied to Autodesk and I use Autocad daily, but my brain's hardwired to SU now.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

[s]I'm scared to leave my max 7 behind for 10...is it a good idea to upgrade? Worth it..?[/s]

They have 12 now. Dear God, is the exporter even compiled that high?
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

What version of Blender was OM's XSI exporter script using? I thought it version 2.28, but I can't remember anymore. I tried using it with 2.40, but Blender complains about a version mis match. Thanks.

I found a site with pretty much every version of Blender including the latest version. Anyways, here's the link to the Blender download site. Older Blender Versions.

Disclaimer: A word of caution that anything you download should be scanned prior to installing anything on your system with a reliable virus scanner just to be sure. Let common sense be a golden rule.