64-bit?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

General Hoohah
Drunken Constructor

64-bit?

Post by General Hoohah »

A friend of mine is having trouble getting BZ2 1.3.6.1 to run on her machine, using Win 7. I have no idea how to help her. I don't know anything about 64-bit systems. Can someone explain all the steps to take to get it to run properly?
Ded10c
Recycler

Re: 64-bit?

Post by Ded10c »

Run the setup program in D:\Setup\Setup.exe. The launcher is a 16-bit application and so won't work on 64-bit, but the installer itself is 32-bit.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

He said having problems running, not installing.

We need some information.
1. Where is it installed "C:\Programs\Battlezone II" or another location.
2. Does she get an error message? If so, what is the exact error?
3. When does it crash? Is it during launch or install?

I run Bz2 on Windows 7 64 bit professional and Home Premium x64 with no problems. It is not an incompatibility with bz2 and Win 7 x64.
appel
Drunken Constructor

Post by appel »

Try to run in compatibility mode.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

No. Do NOT try to run BZ2 1.3 in compatability mode. You'll get weird MS shims in that can break things. BZ2 1.0-1.2 in compatability mode might work, but if you run into problems, I'll just recommend you get a patch made this century.

The underlying issue is that a CPU running in 64-bit mode just cannot run a 16-bit application without dropping into "legacy" mode -- i.e. throwing out all the 64-bit enhancements. BZ2 (the game, every version) is 32-bit mode, which runs fine on 32 & 64 bit Windows versions. However, due to some inane braindamage at Activision (who put the CD together), the installer on the CD is a 16-bit app. That 16-bit app just can't run on a 64-bit OS. That's why you should go into the setup folder, and run the setup exe, directly.

-- GSH