BZe/1.5

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Re: BZe/1.5

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

As I said, spork's fighting the good fight in his mind. It doesn't matter, and has never mattered, if he makes sense or attempts a rationale, honest discussion. He's like the little kid who ate the last cookie with crumbs on his face but denies eating it to the end.

Spork will always be just another of the confused kids that hacked the game to death for their own enjoyment during a period when BZ was at a critical juncture.

To me spork and the others who hacked either didn't care at all about the game. . . or. . . did care about the game, but were too stupid to recognize the damage they were doing.

Either way, that's why I rarely answer the flock directly. I truly believe they simply don't have the moral values and/or intelligence to have a real discussion.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Apollo wrote:
Zax wrote:For any bz2 players reading this thread: I was labeled "BZ2 Player" as my forum 'personal message' the same way some guys are labeled griefer here. This was considered a bad thing, a star of david for me. Heh, those were fun days you had with roboto!
What happen to the roboto book that was supposed to be released? I must have missed it or you never got around to it.
Come to think of it, GBD released some funny stuff, i never did get a chance to read it all.
...I graduated that school, realized it was a huge, pointless waste of time, and pitched my notes. I did save one large document with a bunch of points on it but when I reread it it looked like the same stuff we already know, just a bit more thoroughly lined out. Also, over the years, most of the more intricate stuff slipped my mind, and life goes on I suppose. Of what I do remember, never ever underestimate the power of a herd. Me going in knowing everything I knew about it was becoming susceptible. Playing amongst them, conferring, asking for justifications and stuff...you can really easily be wrapped up in it all. I think the label "bz2 player" is what pulled me back to the land of the living but I was almost lost in it for a while :ugeek:

Back to computers.

Memory sanitation is hard. If that's the way the hacks are coming in, best bet is to just ban the perps individually that know how to do it and use it. Yes, this is one of 2 cases where banning is justified.
◥▶◀◤ row row, fight the powuh
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

So far the bulk of effort has gone into detecting asset changes on disk and in the memory cache, which does go a long way towards stopping casual hackers. Unfortunately, BZ has only rudimentary protection against more determined or technically-inclined memory editing.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Banning is justified at the server level only if someone is trying to disable the server in some way, as someone in the old days did DOS attacks on Activision servers but Dredd said the kid was arrested for it.
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

same thing as putting a lock on your front door; keeps the annoying neighbor kids from coming in and squirting you with a squirt gun, etc.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Dredd is not a name I have heard in a while. First him, then coldfusion, then the whole magging genre died when they all left.
◥▶◀◤ row row, fight the powuh
Odyssey
Scrap

Post by Odyssey »

Apollo wrote:On another note, why do you berate new members like this?
http://www.battlezone1.org/why-do-peopl ... t2624.html
That one kid's comment referring to themselves as 'old pros' and then saying he joined the community in '2010' made my jaw hit my desk. Talk about feeling old! Sometimes I wonder what would happen if these new age 'pros' had to run with the big dogs back in the day. One thing I do know, it's a helluva lot easier to proclaim your 'pro-ness' to a room of 6 than it is a room of 200 lol.

I have not heard those names in years, too. Brings back good memories of starring at black and green glow til the wee hours of the morning! :D

*RIP magging genre. :cry:
* Fixed a bad calculation after a unit took damage from its own weapon and attempted to flee from itself
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Odyssey wrote:That one kid's comment referring to themselves as 'old pros' and then saying he joined the community in '2010' made my jaw hit my desk.
I been in Bz since June 1998 on a daily basis and i only call myself an old timer or hard core bzer, maybe one day i can be a pro. ;)
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

That's almost exactly when I started MP. . . late June or July of '98. Played the SP for 2 or 3 months before trying online.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

I think i saw it on a PC Gamer demo cd and i found it at EB and got it, later i got the Gold version.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

For me, I found the Razor training mission as a demo on a game site and downloaded it as a fluke. The smooth movement and the physics had me hooked and went out and bought it.
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

I also recall the lack of smooth movement and the physics in Battlezone 2 being a big turn-off when the first public build of that was released. (I don't recall if it was the demo or some kind of public beta; I just remember the intensely negative response from the Battlezone player base.)
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

Apollo wrote:As far as changes go, i think the 1.5 APC changes ruined strat.
I'm going to try to do something about that.

(The first thing is to prevent APCs from reloading at an undeployed Recycler since that's definitely not supposed to happen.)
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Maybe the APC should return to a Cafe for soldier reloads and deduct soldier count like the Barracks works.

I never liked how the APC, Scavys and pilots give away the heading to the recycler.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

scavs go to silo if it's closer :D

apc's go to barracks if thats closer. I think pilots should too.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****