New PC, looking for suggestions

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: New PC, looking for suggestions

Post by Nielk1 »

Well, it seems I am being pulled in 2 relatively different directions. Moved away from that Mobo in the first post as it had mixed reviews. The barebones PC was a bit bad on the review side while the mobo was bad customers but good reviewer groups.

My main 2 opposing sides are either AMD/ATI ready for Bulldozer (this means waiting for an AM3+ socket) or Intel and nVidida. It looks like I am going to end up in the middle with an Intel i7 and an AMD/ATI GFX card. I have gotten suggestions from a few ppl and there are points were they agree and points where they do not. In any case the thought is that the i7 would do what I need for a long time to come. So unless an AM3+ socketed Mobo comes out, tomorrow, I will probably end up with an i7.

I have to go though it all but there are some interesting differences between what I was suggested to get. Steeveeo suggested high power output for the PSU while Bull Dog suggested high quality but minimal output (make it exactly what is needed and not more). Then again Steeveeo also has me looking at things which probably draw more power and make more heat than Bull Dog has be looking at.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

The old stand-by method of bumping a PCs performance that is easy, relatively cheap, and requires no knowledge, has been to pop in more RAM. That's why SSDs will soon be the new standard performance boost. Removing as much mechanical devices that are in the process elements are always something to strive for. The snag with them are, they require considerable more PC knowledge to install on an established PC, and most especially to replace the HD that has the OS. But as I said earlier, IF it's a new install, it's almost a sin not to.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Nielk1 wrote:I have to go though it all but there are some interesting differences between what I was suggested to get. Steeveeo suggested high power output for the PSU while Bull Dog suggested high quality but minimal output (make it exactly what is needed and not more). Then again Steeveeo also has me looking at things which probably draw more power and make more heat than Bull Dog has be looking at.
Perhaps just bad luck, but I find that when buying a PSU 'for the job' it wears down in about 6-12months. The one I'm currently using is about 30% more of what I need and it has been going strong for the last 3+ years (it also helps to not try to save a couple of bucks on this 'trivial' piece of hardware).
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Oh, there isn't as much of a price savings with the lower output PSU as you would think. It looks like a pretty well made one.

Later I will try to get a parts list up.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Yes, never cheap out on power supplies. I used to buy $20 case + power supply from Fry's in the 90s, and they'd be dead in 6 months. Lately, I've been buying Seasonic modular power supplies, and they've been solid as a rock, nearly silent, etc. Recent Seasonic review here. Like a quality monitor, these Seasonics will probably last 2-3 computer builds. (24" Dell or HP IPS panel monitors for the win, btw)

One quick way to judge power supplies is by weight. If it feels like it's made of tinfoil, it's probably garbage. Good PSs have a lot of metal in the transformers, regulation circuitry, etc.

-- GSH
-APOCALYPSE-
Rattler

Post by -APOCALYPSE- »

maybe a stupid question but, do you think they will make power supplies for a HP ProLiant DL380 G3 Server?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

GSH wrote:for the win, btw
For some reason it is very odd to hear GSH say this.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Gotta lower my specs a bit. Need to fit some HDDs in there still.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

AHadley wrote:
GSH wrote:for the win, btw
For some reason it is very odd to hear GSH say this.
Cant judge, however:
win = feeling succesfull
win != pummeling someone else

Just to be clear on it :D
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

And "Duh-Winning!" means you THINK you're successful, and once were, but now you're fooling yourself as you plummet into obscurity.