Zenophas
Bull Dog

Re: Interesting article thread

Post by Zenophas »

Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

Known on FF.net as John Mccallistair, link provided below if you're interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5916137/John-Mccallistair
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I would suggest that undertakers and funeral directors might consider this a good opportunity to advertise their services and yes indeed even a tune writing service for those about to depart from another world.
I don't disapprove of the one way mission concept, but a colony? of suicidally inclined astronauts? Doesn't sound like good TV to me.
The Twosheds guide to eating out in the solar system, lists the following establishments...
None at all. Don't go to Mars to eat, unless you like rocks.

Genius Idea of the day...Edible spaceships.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

MrTwosheds wrote:Genius Idea of the day...Edible spaceships.
Explain yourself.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Iron_Maiden wrote:Who writes the theme song?:

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19262671/g ... settlement
Already happened. . . look similar?

Spend the rest of your life in an inflatable kevlar-like or graphene balloon? Yea ok

And you thought doing a stint in Ethiopia with the Peace Corps for two years was extreme.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Explain yourself.
Humans don't thrive well on a mineralist diet, so the brave but suicidal Martian colonists would need to take as much organic food with them as they can. So constructing your spaceship/lander from edible materials is the most efficient method. Some research into radiation resistant proteins, structural pasta, low intoxication fuels, and souper conducting materials would probably be required, although I imagine ordinary Tofu would suffice for the re-entry heatshield. :lol:
Critical systems such as the oxygen generating plant and water mining equipment would need to not be edible of course.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

MrTwosheds wrote:
Explain yourself.
Humans don't thrive well on a mineralist diet, so the brave but suicidal Martian colonists would need to take as much organic food with them as they can. So constructing your spaceship/lander from edible materials is the most efficient method. Some research into radiation resistant proteins, structural pasta, low intoxication fuels, and souper conducting materials would probably be required, although I imagine ordinary Tofu would suffice for the re-entry heatshield. :lol:
Critical systems such as the oxygen generating plant and water mining equipment would need to not be edible of course.
I like this idea.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The one way trip idea is viable, but I had always considered it to be a one man mission, a noble sacrifice in the search for knowledge as it were. Televising the demise of a group and their replacements is a bits sick really, there are plenty of people needlessly starving to death on earth, if that is actually what the program makers want to film.
Methods for Human exploration the solar system have been imagined in great detail, mostly in fiction, not many of them required people to die in order to save on costs.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

I've read the article, but havent read anything about any 'demise'. Last paragraph even mentioned how nasa would be sending supplies to the team if they would do it. Why would Mars One do it any different and let people die on international television?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

See how quickly it all comes down when made from edable materials?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE5ecIpTEb4

Just something I found fun posting, love this game :D
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

sounds like the narrator from BZ1, but older.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I've read the article, but havent read anything about any 'demise'. Last paragraph even mentioned how nasa would be sending supplies to the team if they would do it. Why would Mars One do it any different and let people die on international television?
One way trip means just that. To a place without any organic life or breathable atmosphere... Supply's, good!, ride home? not mentioned, not planned, not coming. Part of the deal. It could be done with dignity by a single explorer. More than one and you are going places most viewers won't want their kids to watch.
If they were planning a serious "colonisation" you would start with a self sustaining Earth orbiting station and space based vehicle manufacture, then extend that working model to Mars, then you just might be in a position to retrieve "colonists" from the surface.
What they are proposing is a suicide mission. Mars is not a nice place for human beings.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

'Big Brother' sold well, so will this. Parents have no idea what their kids do, but thats a different story.
If you do send people, who go out of free will, you'd better send a group. One person cant fill all roles that need to be filled and would probably start eating him/herself after several months of living in solitude. And as long as supplies do keep coming, more people could be send afterwards .. etc
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

I could imagine the novelty being really cool for maybe a year. Possibly the science keeping your interest for another two. After four, you'd be as nutty as Jack Torrance in The Shining.

Remember, there's not going to be a whole lot of travel. Maybe an expedition a few miles out from your bubble community for a day or so every few months. I was on an SSBN in the Navy, I was cooped up for an average of 100 days at a time, and I can tell you, it indeed has an effect on your personality, even with lots of others around.