Gun Ownership

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Clavin12
Bull Dog

Re: What Have You Learned Today?

Post by Clavin12 »

So he was an idiot for defending his home and family?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Well you've seen the video. Presumably he would be aware that he is engaged in activities that might draw the attention of the police, So when you get woken up by what sounds very much like a police raid (they are quite distinctive, I have been in one) A clever family man might reconsider grabbing his gun, a soldier however may not. All in all he made some Bad career and leisure activity choice's.
Surely it must be common wisdom in a gun owning society that if you respond to a police raid by picking up a gun, you are going to get shot.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

It was my understanding that his wife woke him up and told him about the strangers out front. All the same, it should not be that way.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

MrTwosheds wrote:sounds very much like a police raid (they are quite distinctive, I have been in one)
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

How about a more definitive authority: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Guerena_shooting

In any case it was a pointless killing. He was innocent, and they killed him far too readily.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

They made themselves fairly obvious. He chose to pull a gun on them, he made himself a threat. They reacted appropriately. Would you wait for somebody to shoot you before you shot back?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Armed officers have to make snap decisions in situations like this. Letting off grenades in the back garden does seem a little unorthodox though. Had they been attempting to detain an armed robber, murderer etc then the techniques they used may have been appropriate, using a swat team to bust someone for possessing weed... its just ridiculous. The Marijuana laws are essentially political, it is not particularly harmful or a great societal problem. It is people of one outlook oppressing those of another, this Marine is just another victim of political dogma, your jails are full of other victims of it too.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

I'm not protesting the SWAT team shooting him for having a gun, as I am the SWAT team in general. Major overkill, especially for Marijuana. The guy was innocent.
Last edited by Clavin12 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

the underlying theme in all of this is that it's okay for the police to shoot you whenever they like, but it's not okay to protect your home and family.

this is one of the reasons the American colonies revolted against authoritarian rule and created a new form of government.

now it has devolved back into what it was before.

"submit to my authorita!"
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red Devil wrote:the underlying theme in all of this is that it's okay for the police to shoot you whenever they like, but it's not okay to protect your home and family.
The underlying theme from my perspective being that it's not OK to own a gun without first jumping through a ridiculous number of very small hoops. Violent crime is much lower in the United Kingdom than it is in the States, and our gun laws are one of the major reasons. In this country, even former or inactive members of the military do not necessarily have their own firearms, let alone personal assault rifles.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

I learned that Kyon is a douche. I always feel ripped off when my favored character in an anime is urinated on due to another character's weird thinking.

Oh well, time to find another anime or manga to indulge my attention span with.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

Any nation that will give up a little liberty to gain a little safety, deserves neither and will lose both. -Ben Franklin
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

How ironic.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Zenophas wrote:I learned that Kyon is a douche. I always feel ripped off when my favored character in an anime is urinated on due to another character's weird thinking.
ZA can't understood. The nice man was just giving the girl back a sheet of paper. He is a fine upstanding person of society and should not be called such crass, vulgar names.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Zero Angel wrote:ZA can't understood. The nice man was just giving the girl back a sheet of paper. He is a fine upstanding person of society and should not be called such crass, vulgar names.
Actually, in the anime, the girl was really shy and had some rather fragile emotions, as well as a love interest in him. He completely disregarded this to go back to another reality that would rewrite the one that girl resides in. Thus, erasing her and replacing her with some kinda alien robot that doesn't do anything but sit and read books. Not only that, but giving a sociopath complete godly control over the world, simply because he finds it more fun for himself and doesn't consider the fact that MAYBE the world is better off normal and actually safe.

Upstanding citizen my arse.