The DELICIOUS Recipe Thread

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Spawn
Scrap

Re: The DELICIOUS Recipe Thread

Post by Spawn »

So, I'll just post something I made recently, and it's pretty simple. If you eat the rotisserie chicken first or use it in another recipe (chicken salad?) this is a great way to use the carcass instead of just throwing it out.

Lazy chicken soup:
1 onion (cut into eights)
2 celery (stalks cut in half or thirds)
2 carrots (same as celery)
1 rotisserie chicken, mostly eaten (you can leave however much of the meat you want, just save all the bones and skin you don't eat)
spices, whatever you have on hand is fine, this time I used some fresh sage, rosemary, thyme, a 2-3 dozen black peppercorns and a few bay leaves

You may want to put the spices into a cheese cloth if you don't want to pick them out later on.

Step one: throw everything into a crock pot and cover with water
Step two: set pot to high and come back in a few hours, but I left mine on low overnight and it was still tasty
Step three: once the chicken is falling apart and the broth smells good, turn the crock pot off and wait for it to cool down

If you have ever made chicken soup from scratch the next part is the most annoying, pour the soup through a strainer, separating the broth from the solids. Pick through the solid parts, you only want whatever meat was left, as the vegetables are mush they aren't very useful, but still tasty if you are hungry at this point. Add meat to the broth, heat it up and you have soup! Or, if you have no meat because you or a friend already ate it, the broth is still tasty and homemade.

At this point there is a lot you can do if you want something more complex, you can take some vegetables, cut them up then heat them with the soup. Nothing too tricky, just heat them till they are soft enough for you to enjoy. Adding noodles or rice is good too, but there is a trick to those. Take some of the broth (I use two cups broth to one cup other things) and cook the noodles as described. Add some noodles to your bowl then put the main batch of soup on top. The trick is not to add the noodles to the rest of the soup, as they will just absorb all the broth. I just keep two containers in the fridge.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Spawn? Old Spawn or new Spawn?
Spawn
Scrap

Post by Spawn »

I'm not that old, but hi n1.

Another recipe I made recently, bacon fettuccine alfredo. Pretty simple, but tasty and easy.

Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 to 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
1 or 2 teaspoons dark rum/amaretto (optional)
3 pieces thick sliced bacon, cut in half
1 pound asparagus, bottom inch of stalks removed and chopped into bite sized pieces, however big you want (I did about an inch to an inch and a half)
1/4 to 1/2 pound spinach (1 or 2 big handfulls)
1 pound fettuccine noodles, or whatever you want for pasta really

What you do:
Melt the butter in a frying pan with a thick bottom, then add the bacon. Cook to desired crispiness. Be careful not to burn the butter.
While that is cooking, start making the pasta. Actually, you should probably start boiling water before you even melt the butter, as that can take a while.

Once the bacon is done to your liking remove it from the pan, and pat it dry.
Now add the cup of cream to the pan with the butter that you cooked the bacon in, mix it together and heat it up, but be careful not to boil it.
You really don't need to cook this very much just kinda heat and stir until it is mixed well.
Once well mixed add the cheese and keep stirring until the consistency is what you want. About a minuter before it is served add the rum if you have it and mix well, but don't really want to cook it out.

Pasta is pretty simple, follow the directions on the box, you have the water boiling already, right?
About three minutes before the pasta is done, add the asparagus to the water with it, this should be enough to make it tender.

Once you strain the pasta asparagus combination, put it back in the pot or a bowl you can easily mix it in.
Add the spinach on top, mix it together slightly, it should wilt and become soft, but if it doesn't quite get there that is okay. The next step will fix this.
Pour your completed sauce onto the noodles, mix well and serve.

I put the bacon on the side, three half strips per serving, gf wanted to eat it separately, but I crumpled mine into the pasta.

This made about four servings total, so if you want to feed more than two people cook more bacon separately somehow. I would advise against cooking it in the butter, as your pasta will get quite greasy. You could always use less butter though, but I think the easiest thing to do is make it separately, in the oven or microwave, unless you like having three things on the stove at once.

That's it. I am not responsible for any grease burns or heart attacks :lol: