What is the last movie you've seen?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Zenophas
Bull Dog

Re: What is the last movie you've seen?

Post by Zenophas »

Gonna set my eyes upon some Marquis (1989).
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Baconboy wrote:Anyone seen Looper yet?
Nielk1 wrote:Going to guess that Primer (2003), made on $7,000 , will probably remain a better movie.
I have Primer in my collection. But I have a big problem, to the point of not being able to maintain immersion with pretty much all 'same timeline' back-travel movies.

There's just no way around the paradoxes, no matter how clever the script. And you just don't see too many multi-reality, (MWI) films. I suppose it's because the inter-relational conflict is greatly reduced. Primer did try hard, but it too didn't escape the paradox issues. "Staying away" by hiding in a motel room during the travel-arc time period so you don't effect your own self or others doesn't cut it, and shows the writers in Primer, ultimately, didn't think any deeper than your 'Back to the Future' or the vague time traveling of 'Donnie Darko'. But then, most films are written by "Hollywood" script writers who have some idea, "Oh this will be coo!", and rarely by established, serious sci-fi writers.

And of course, sadly for the intelligence of this solar system, time travel paradoxes greatly reduce the likelihood of FTL.

But. . .I will watch Looper when I have the chance. :roll: :lol:

On a side note; Does anyone remember the so-called highly attractive "twins from Sweden" that were determined to commit suicide, all caught on tape? Their researched history was vague at best, and it was widely speculated by the conspiracy community that this was a doppelganger caught in the same reality and were attempting quickly correct a cross-connect conflict. The "proof" offered was that they could not seem to actually kill themselves no matter how hard they tried, and that they had the strength of several men, EVEN after being hit by vehicles going 70+kph.
DarkCobra262
Sabre

Post by DarkCobra262 »

Tron: Legacy
Modding/Modelling like a noob...
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

The Green Mile :cry:
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:
Baconboy wrote:Anyone seen Looper yet?
Nielk1 wrote:Going to guess that Primer (2003), made on $7,000 , will probably remain a better movie.
I have Primer in my collection. But I have a big problem, to the point of not being able to maintain immersion with pretty much all 'same timeline' back-travel movies.
Technically Primer spooled off new timelines every time someone time-traveled. There are 9 distinct timelines noted:
http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2011/ ... or-primer/
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Marquis (1989) was amazing.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Spotted SMILEY (2012) on /b/ today, might check it out since it's supposed to be a terrible film.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

50/50

Really good. And hilarious. :lol:
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Phsychic TV's "The First Transmission"

Closest thing to an actual snuff film that I've seen yet. Lovely underground sleaze, mmm mmm MMMM.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Finally got around to Prometheus. Was good, but nothing as good as I was expecting. The tongue-and-cheek references to 2001, and former Alien films took away from the film IMO.

I also thought the Prometheus TED Talk teaser clip was a weak justification for using a young actor play an old man. Makeup, even in this day of outstanding CGI, cannot compete with real age, and I thought a 'real' old man playing Peter Weyland would have more immersive.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

I thought the movie was pretty good, but the end was rather dissapointing imo. Everything is done in detail (more or less) and I got the feeling they where just rushing through the end, as if they wanted to hold it all back for a sequal. Which isnt particularly clever as I first need to become interested in it and the movie 'more or less' had the opposite effect on me.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

My first stark realization that the film wasn't going to be epic and trans-formative was when they had the classic 'first meal' after coming out of hibernation or stasis. Weyland pays "a trillion" for the trip, yet has a rag-tag bunch of goof-balls as crew. . . who by the way, have no idea what their there for and have to sit through a power-point presentation to the mission in fold-able chairs. As one entertainment blogger said, 'What if they had awakened and were told they were hired to be subjects for sexual interaction for a newly discovered type of pre-human-like primate?' The other big break in immersiveness is when two of the goof-balls start screwing with the cobra-like life-form, thinking it was cute.

If you're familiar with Ridley Scott, you'll know he's a big fan, and has great respect for, grand classic science-fiction novels. With all the symbolism to the story of Prometheus, you can see he attempted a future cult favorite, yet I'm afraid it's far from it.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

I agree completelly with you, but I do feel the 'errors' in the first bit could in some (scifi) method possibly be somewhat viable. They at least didnt turn me away from the movie.
Couple of days ago I again saw the movie, at home this time, and I just quit watching when the 'cobras' came into play ...
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Just got around to watching Dark Knight Rises and actually thought it was pretty awful.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:My first stark realization that the film wasn't going to be epic and trans-formative was when they had the classic 'first meal' after coming out of hibernation or stasis. Weyland pays "a trillion" for the trip, yet has a rag-tag bunch of goof-balls as crew. . . who by the way, have no idea what their there for and have to sit through a power-point presentation to the mission in fold-able chairs. As one entertainment blogger said, 'What if they had awakened and were told they were hired to be subjects for sexual interaction for a newly discovered type of pre-human-like primate?' The other big break in immersiveness is when two of the goof-balls start screwing with the cobra-like life-form, thinking it was cute.

If you're familiar with Ridley Scott, you'll know he's a big fan, and has great respect for, grand classic science-fiction novels. With all the symbolism to the story of Prometheus, you can see he attempted a future cult favorite, yet I'm afraid it's far from it.
Yeah I thought Prometheus fell flat too.