Interesting Article Thread v.2

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Re: Interesting Article Thread v.2

Post by Iron_Maiden »

Known on FF.net as John Mccallistair, link provided below if you're interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5916137/John-Mccallistair
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Its difficult to see where that is going isn't it? Taking the humans out of the market. Algorithmic economic warfare? an AI arms race? If it looks like madness, it probably is.
hmm, I expect there will be some very lucrative positions available for people able to induce subtle corruptions into the system, a whole new style of crime.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

MrTwosheds wrote:You have to spend some time working in a large well established organisation to really understand how everyone, from cleaner to CEO, only really have one major priority, making sure their own arse is covered until they make it out of the door with their pension package intact.
No you don't. If I put a foot wrong I loose a lot more than just my job.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:No, the why was a best guess by somebody, fits the circumstances perfectly. You have to spend some time working in a large well established organisation to really understand how everyone, from cleaner to CEO, only really have one major priority, making sure their own arse is covered until they make it out of the door with their pension package intact.
People are not out for themselves unless the life situation requires it. This situation is endemic to the current path of pretty much all the world's nations. While in the past people saw fit to do charity because it did not injure them, today helping others is worse for oneself then otherwise. The massive financial risk and legal dangers far outweigh the good feelings of helping your fellow man. These situations are not the creation of corporations as you believe but the endorsement of such behavior by corporations is caused by the current legal,political, and social climate. In all cases, it is ignorance that reigns supreme in all these situations. Going in for the quick fix, to make people feel good in the short term, to gain approval through the giving of goods rather than to earn your own personal respect. Despite this, many of us continue to be reverent and proper and help our fellow man despite the danger it might cause to us. Others like to talk about actions like they are solutions when instead they are repeats of past mistakes. History is rewritten by the lazy to justify the continued exploitative actions by masking their past damage and endearing their "benefits" to the public at large.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I mostly agree with that. Except the part about ignorance. The individuals concerned would obviously have been aware that this would cost people their lives.
This is only a small case, it could easily be resolved by honestly describing the institution concerned as a departure lounge rather than a care home, many people actually want such a service and would be glad to pay for it.
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:I mostly agree with that. Except the part about ignorance. The individuals concerned would obviously have been aware that this would cost people their lives.
This is only a small case, it could easily be resolved by honestly describing the institution concerned as a departure lounge rather than a care home, many people actually want such a service and would be glad to pay for it.
Free market only works with knowledgeable consumers. Being given things for free makes on not need to work or think, thus, they remain ignorant. For this reason, businesses with practices that are anti-consumer easily get away with it since no other companies crop up to correct it as no one knows/cares enough. That is how public ignorance factors in.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

One of the main purposes of forming a company is to protect the individual people working in it from such things as litigation, it is the company that takes the risk of bankruptcy rather than the individuals working within it, that is its purpose. Without this mechanism much of what we all take for granted would never happen in the first place and we would all still be living in hovels knee deep in our own mess. This company has sought to evade its responsibilities and place them back onto its staff who are clearly in need of a union at the very least. Realistically they should all have just realised that they are working for fraudsters, terminated their employment on mass and sought out their own lawyers.
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio sounds a lot better than "Pope Francis".
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:One of the main purposes of forming a company is to protect the individual people working in it from such things as litigation, it is the company that takes the risk of bankruptcy rather than the individuals working within it, that is its purpose. Without this mechanism much of what we all take for granted would never happen in the first place and we would all still be living in hovels knee deep in our own mess. This company has sought to evade its responsibilities and place them back onto its staff who are clearly in need of a union at the very least. Realistically they should all have just realised that they are working for fraudsters, terminated their employment on mass and sought out their own lawyers.
If no one renders aid, which is not illegal, everyone makes out (legally) best off. No risk. Social reactions rarely trump legal safety now-a-days because there is no expectation of the law to follow morality, which is the expression of social expectations. Companies are formed to protect their founders, not their employees. It is what allows them to get employees and do business without putting the creators in dangers. The business is not made to service it's employees, the employees are employed to service the business for a cost.
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

Roscoe
Rattler

Post by Roscoe »

MrTwosheds wrote:Realistically they should all have just realised that they are working for fraudsters, terminated their employment on mass and sought out their own lawyers.
Most people are up to their ears in debt and 2 missed paychecks from losing everything. This is how companies like Wells Fargo manage to retain the employees they abuse the hell out of while behaving criminally toward their customers and everyone else.

They are slaves to to their debt and fear.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The "Mass" bit was important, the company would either have to immediately alter their ways or be crushed by customer/staff litigations and a care home could simply not function without its staff. Immediate emergency government intervention would almost certainly result, in order to protect the residents and the companies reputation and value would be quickly and publicly destroyed.
People like to make industrial relations into a big political division, but actually these sort of disputes must happen if societies are to maintain their balance and reason, too much power in either direction is harmful to everyone. Here a company appears to have taken a decision that is very much not in the interests of its paying customers. The staff should have been in a position to pull a "big gun" on them for it.
Sadly (here at least) they often are not in that position, often not even actually employed by that company and utterly unable to form any kind of organised response to any self interested and immoral actions it may take. We have had government intervention in a care homes here recently, one just suddenly went bankrupt and the other was shut down for basically failing to give adequate care to its residents and thus endangering their lives. This issue will only get worse as the baby boomer generation fades out into lala land.

And yes, I did just walk out of my last job after learning that the director was stealing the tax contributions of his entire staff. I'm doing ok now.
The only thing we have to fear... :)
(ok, add greed and stupidity to the list too)
...No, HMRC did not catch him, or even make any attempt at all to find out where our/their money went. It seems that all they could think of doing was phoning me up to accuse me of working when I wasn't. Its a pity they couldn't manage to phone me up to tell me that they weren't actually receiving the tax I was paying while I was working.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

There is no staff/consumer litigation. As I have stated around 3 times now, they took the legally safest rout.