Delete thread

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Delete thread

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Nothing but useless fighting
Last edited by XxHAMADEHxX on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Python vs Java

Post by Ded10c »

The only language I've learned to program in is C#, and eventually I plan on migrating to C++ so I'm more useful to BZ2.

I've never tried Python, but I'm apprehensive about Java. I realise it's popular for a reason but it just seems clunky to me, and it doesn't help that I've never seen a Java program that doesn't suffer from fairly major issues or a Java game that doesn't have horrific memory leaks (I'm looking at you, Minecraft)
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Godwilling sounds great =D

Where did you learn c#?

Minecraft was made in java?

Thanks
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I learned C# during a two-year college course. And yes, Minecraft is programmed in Java.
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Cool

Maybe ill look into java then.

The problem with python is I dont see alot of stuff done with it. I dont even see alot of smaller games.

So probably its not good for games in general but I will keep researching Godwilling XD
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Vassili
Thunderbolt

Post by Vassili »

Minecraft was made in java?
Minecraft IS made in Java.

Java is more accessible for your customers, but he is very heavy (for your proc and RAM), one cause is he need a virtual machine.
Python is (for me) good for do scripts for GNU/Linux and others free OS.
So my opinion is, if you will do little fun games, and you don't care of people modify it, use java; if you will do advanced games, use C/C++ (and not C# who is krosoft), you will have a multi-platform native language (lot of OS are do in C themself), who have great performances.

Yes, C++ is complicated compared to Java (but when i see Java code compare to PHP, i think it's better to learn C++ rather than Java (i don't know Java and C, and i know PHP who are easy).

A good solution for do games in C without learn it, but still coding it, is to use ruby, he his veeeeeeery easy, it's near zero syntax problem.
---
For the anecdote, you can also do games(1) in PHP/HTML/CSS :P.
Nobody never do it, so i have start a project on that.

EDIT: (1): video games
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Vassili wrote:not C# who is krosoft
Being associated with Microsoft is not the best of reasons to avoid something; C# is free to use and works on Linux and Mac too if you use the right tools. It's also extremely closely related to XNA, which is designed specifically for video games. Anti-corporatism can be a good thing in small doses... take it too far and your employability and usefulness in the industry gets crippled.

The reason I learned C# is because it's used a lot in industry and is a good way of teaching basic knowledge that can be used for both C and C++. It's because it's Microsoft that it's so important; it's a cornerstone of the .NET environment and that makes it particularly important in game development (alongside C++ and whichever engine-level language is being used).
Vassili
Thunderbolt

Post by Vassili »

hum hum..
Can you repeat .NET is open and multi-platform? Yes you don't said that but that was close.
Can you say the "right tools" are not recent and made by open source communauty for stupid people who will not use something other of krosoft products?
Can you repeat "What is used in industry is necessarily better."?
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Well, the thing about using something like C# is that Microsoft actively wants to lock you into using their ecosystem (.net, windows, directx) and using their products so will offer as much synergy between their products as possible. If you ever hope to port your game over to anything that's not a windows machine (or xbone) then good luck because you'll need it.

Reminds me of this company that wanted to do some revamping of my company's IT setup. He proposed it but his company appears to be spoon fed by MS. Using MS for everything possible, even though while MS offers good solutions here and there, there are certainly better alternatives (i'm not talking FOSS necessarily, but plenty of commercial solutions as well).
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Actually I dont want to learn C# because its Microsoft stuff. The only reason why I use windows is because, I need some certain software from it.
(including bz =D)

As for using C++ instead of java the problem is I don't know a place that can teach it to me in a way that I will understand.

I understand python because when I enter a command I understand what it's referring to when I enter commands.

My biggest problem is its hard for me to learn from books(Sometimes If they have pictures its ok). For example one time I opened up the blender manual and closed it within 5-10 minutes of looking at it. After that I went to youtube and BAM! I figured out how some of it worked.

Btw can you tell me more about ruby?
Vassili
Thunderbolt

Post by Vassili »

XxHAMADEHxX wrote: My biggest problem is its hard for me to learn from books(Sometimes If they have pictures its ok). For example one time I opened up the blender manual and closed it within 5-10 minutes of looking at it. After that I went to youtube and BAM! I figured out how some of it worked.
And you don't found tutorials for C? It's strange. And it's normal you don't always do a link between what yo uwrite and what that do, if you don't test it when you learn it... When you read a book, test all things who are writed,and adapt it for do non-writed things, for to be sure you understand it.
I know a very good website where people do free tutorials for alot of programming language, but it's french...
XxHAMADEHxX wrote:Btw can you tell me more about ruby?
Ruby is a language published by Yukihiro Matsumoto, alias Matz, in 1995, all is object in this language, who are interpreted in C.
The translate from ruby to C make him a little less fast of C, but it's ok (when it's pseudo-compiled, it's too fast for close an infinite windows loop XD).
The objective of this language, who is successfull, is to be a very lower programming language, in fact that make you can use all the power of C, with more facility of PHP!

50 lines of C++ can often be replaced by 20 of Ruby, without syntax from hell.
You can found tons of Ruby implementations, like Ruby on Rails who are a web language, Jruby for convert in java classes, etc...
Actually it's very hard for do multi platform video games (with hidden code) with Ruby (by my own experience) because alot of good libraries are abandonned, i think that will change soon. For example my last program made in Ruby work only in Windows because the library for colored shell text is windows only, and for the multi-platform (semi) hidden code i wanted use Java, Jruby have like 1% of Ruby existant libraries.

Ruby is progressing every day, like GNU/Linux you can see it everywhere but you don't know it.

I can learn you some basic Ruby if you will, add me on Jabber.
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Sweet

and sure but whats jabber?
Vassili
Thunderbolt

Post by Vassili »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Jabber may refer to:

The original name of the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP), the open technology for instant messaging and presence.
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

So would steam work then? XD