Sober Scav

Re: SSDs and write endurance

Post by DutchBoy »

Wonder how fast an OCZ SSD would have dropped out of the test lol
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

I've had an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (128GB) in my main box at home for over 2.5 years now. No problems noted.

Important files (e.g. BZ2 source code & data files) are backed up on my FreeBSD fileserver at home, with 3-copy ZFS replication.

-- GSH
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Sounds like its time for the remaining 3 to take the 'exabyte challenge'
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
DutchBoy
Sober Scav

Post by DutchBoy »

GSH wrote:I've had an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (128GB) in my main box at home for over 2.5 years now. No problems noted.

Important files (e.g. BZ2 source code & data files) are backed up on my FreeBSD fileserver at home, with 3-copy ZFS replication.

-- GSH
So what you're say is, i shouldn't believe everything i read on the internet haha. Oh well when i was upgrading to SSD's, I kept reading negative reviews from multiple sources so I stayed away, glad to hear it's holding up well for ya.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

I don't doubt some had problems with early SSDs. However, for any next/replacement SSD I buy for home, the winners of the petabyte challenge are on my shortlist of ones to buy. When my wife's box got a SSD at home a year or so ago, I bought a Samsung 840 Pro, which happens to be one of the winners of that challenge. That gives me more confidence.

My general rule of thumb: do NOT buy the cheapest items in tech. Don't buy the most expensive either. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot. Right out of college (mid/late 1990s), I bought a few $20 case + power supply deals from the local Fry's. Cheapest thing there. However, they were dead in 6 months. I bought a $40-50 power supply, it lasted 5 years until it was obsoleted by the AT -> ATX changeover. Lesson learned.

-- GSH
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

GSH wrote:My general rule of thumb: do NOT buy the cheapest items in tech. Don't buy the most expensive either. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot.
As a very general rule of thumb I do agree, but at the same time I do buy cheap and expensive depending on what I am aiming at.
For instance all my monitors are the cheapest I could find based on the criteria I had for them. They all are German made and costed me about ½ of what an equal Philips monitor costs (statwise my monitors are even better). Sound systems I go the other way around, I do buy Philips and I shed some cash, which tends to work out very well, imo. In PC-land I tend to buy cheapish, balance my system, then overclock the crap out of it. My current PC is with me for the last 8 years and runs nearly 24/7.
I do tend to buy things with in the back of my head the idea it should last untill I feel like replacing it. Like I feel its time for an upgrade for my PC and now that my MoBo has started to act up the timing couldnt be much better. :)
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

When it comes to tech, I always assume the manufacturers big corners in order to come out with a product for people who are looking for the absolute cheapest thing. I don't mind paying 20% more than the cheapest thing to get something that performs 50% better or lasts 50% longer.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Update: they're all finally dead. Pretty impressive, actually.

-- GSH