Clearing out old Tech - Computers & Stuff (FREE!)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

NostalgicRCB
Drunken Constructor

Clearing out old Tech - Computers & Stuff (FREE!)

Post by NostalgicRCB »

I have too much stuff. It's been fun messing around with the hardware I've horded over the years but I have to let some of it go. I'm doing different things these days so it's time to pass this stuff on to anyone who is interested. Most of this stuff was bought for a few bucks or given to me. The only thing I spent money on was the servers at the bottom but ended up never using them.

If anyone is interested in this stuff contact me over skype. Username is: Battlezone486

From left to right its a mixture of 486, pent2, pent3 era stuff. With the exception of the two heavy & heavy HP mainframe style servers at the bottom. Both of them work fine but need SCSI hard drives which I can provide if needed. They actually came from a Government surplus auction. They have an IRS sticker on them. :D

The hacked up device with the LCD monitor is actually a video recording unit out of a school bus. It was modified to fit a standard power supply and accessory outlet for a car. It works really quick with XP installed on it. If you have questions about anything else I would be happy to answer. Everything in the stack still works but 2 or 3 may need an OS reinstalled and at least one machine there may need a capacitor. I would hate to bring all this stuff to the curb but I need this space for something else.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: Clearing out old Tech - Computers & Stuff (FREE!)

Post by MrTwosheds »

It is highly recommended that you first "modify" all the hard drives with a large hammer, identity theft is far more profitable than selling second hand tech.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

I like sdelete for wiping files and/or empty space on HDs. Free, works well.

-- GSH
NostalgicRCB
Drunken Constructor

Post by NostalgicRCB »

None of the stuff is mine so I could could less about the contents. A few of them I reinstalled either 95 or 98 on them. I will not destroy working computers. I know a few ebay sellers that can get $300 for retro computers. But they are pristine and often built with new but vintage parts. Some people still like having those old voodoo cards in a legacy windows 98 box. Dosbox suits most of my needs now for when I'm feeling nostalgic. It's much easier than keeping those old rigs running forever.
Last edited by NostalgicRCB on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The hammer makes data recovery very very difficult to do, its fun too. :D
You might find a technology museum would be interested in the 486. Or a TV/film props department...
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:It is highly recommended that you first "modify" all the hard drives with a large hammer, identity theft is far more profitable than selling second hand tech.
FFS just write random 0s and 1s to the HDD.
Roscoe
Rattler

Post by Roscoe »

If that Packard Bell still functions without smoking, you may have a miracle in your closet.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

MrTwosheds wrote:You might find a technology museum would be interested in the 486. Or a TV/film props department...
I forgat how it is, but there are several versions of the 486, some are worth a lot more than others.
About 15 or so years ago I found out about this when selling an old 486 and ended up buying a few others to sell them the same day for about 100% profit :)