Xp preservation...

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Xp preservation...

Post by MrTwosheds »

Slovenly luddites, still using win xp, despite MS-threats. May find that their antiquated old equipment seems to have stopped working today.
Like you cannot login and your pc seems to be either locked or the mouse does not work. But it still works in safe mode...
Microsoft security essentials, seems to have updated MS antimalware, so it will not start anymore, wait 10 minutes or so after login click and it should give up trying.
Then.
restart your computer in safe mode
execute regedit
go to hklm/system/currentControlset/service
look for MspsSvc
change the start value from 2 to 4

reboot
Ms antimalware is now disabled, so your nasty old out of date xp install can now start properly.
Uninstall MS security essentials and go find another AV program. (so you can continue to watch it not find any viruses...)
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
GSH
Patch Creator

Re: Xp preservation...

Post by GSH »

According to this, Microsoft Security Essentials for XP is still supported thru July 2015. I know that on an XP box at home, the MSSE taskbar icon went red, saying "unsupported operating system" but didn't otherwise impede any work. Do you have the latest version installed?

-- GSH
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

As far as I know. It worked last night, today I click login and nothing happens for 10 minutes, Searched the events for clues, found ms antimalware timeout, figure out how to turn it off, problem gone. It was updated last night by msse. (I turned windows updates off a few days ago)
Not saying they did it deliberately... :lol: XP is unsupported now...
Might be that msantimalware needs windows update to function properly, but I got fed up with the msgs telling me to buy a new computer because my 3.2ghz duel core pentium cant run win 8. I expect it will be able to run linux though. ;)
Full marks to MS for trying to boost the economy. :D
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

MrTwosheds wrote:I expect it will be able to run linux though. ;)
Full marks to MS for trying to boost the economy. :D
^That.
I'm not even going to bother giving any motivation for it, but MS wont be getting any more of my money.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Yeah there is no shortage of options when it comes to linux distros. Ubuntu just released 14.04 which is a lts or long term support build.

I wouldnt expect many games to work though. If they do work in wine, expect fps hits.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Plan is to duel boot with this xp install, got too much useful stuff working on here to just bin it all. Use linux for browsing etc and xp for the few old games I still play. Ill get a new computer when I want or need to, not when MS just decide they want some more money. To be honest Windows is now so focused on commercial software (the protection of) that I sort of get the feeling that it isn't actually my computer anymore, more like something I just borrowed on credit and then pay a subscription to keep it working.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Yeah. It's a shame that Microsoft can't be held liable for any damage as a result of an exploit they refuse to fix. If they don't want to support xp, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would. Look at Linux's various communities.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I think they overhype the risk, Msse hadn't found a virus for nearly a year on this install. I uninstalled it and used avast free instead. It found 3 "risks" 2 of which undoubtedly came from my previous xp pc and the other was some IE thing. They were never found by msse... I figure the black hats moved on long ago, where's the fun in attacking out of date systems?
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

They would be useful in setting up botnets, as the OSes are no longer protected. Other than that, there is really no point.
Juggernaut
Thunderbolt

Post by Juggernaut »

MSSE is and always was a very poor AV solution. I had similar problems with a few XP client machines recently as the OP that also had MSSE installed, which needed to be uninstalled manually. As far as free goes, Avast gives the best protection, Avira is pretty good too. AVG free used to be good as well, but seems to be problematic now over the past few years and not recommended.
Specs:
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz CPU
16GB DDR31600 Corsair RAM
MSI Z77A-G41 MOBO
Crucial 256GB SSD | 500GB WD HDD
EVGA REF GTX-970 4GB ACX 2.1 GPU
27" LG D2743 Cinema 3D IPS LED @1920x1080 60Hz
ASUS Xonar DGX APU
Cable Internet - 35Mb/6Mb
Raven
Scrap

Post by Raven »

Commando wrote:Yeah there is no shortage of options when it comes to linux distros. Ubuntu just released 14.04 which is a lts or long term support build.

I wouldnt expect many games to work though. If they do work in wine, expect fps hits.
Hmmm. I used to run EvE Online (and WoW) under Wine a couple of years back. I think that might have been on Ubuntu 12.04 on an older PC. Believe it or not it actually ran astonishingly well. I'm not going to say there was no frame hit because there was when compared to just booting up Win7, but running a game (comfortably) like EvE maxed out under Wine was astounding. Especially when considering the native mac client for EvE, WoW, TF2, Portal etc were all so awful (can't comment if they still are, I got rid of my mac.) I'd imagine its even better now, though all of my Linux "boxes" are VMs so suffice to say they're not the best things to use if you're gonna start running games.

Speak of the devil.
http://i.imgur.com/Lgn0fjx.jpg
*Clicks "Ask me later"*

Personally I have no need for XP any more. I have nothing that requires it to run. Everything I have either runs on Win7 natively or will run fine under compatibility mode. Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines works fine, and that thing was released in 1998!

What truly terrifies me is the sheer amount of PCs we have across the estate(s) at work that are still in WinXP (and a good chunk on NT and NetWare.) The few Win7 clients we do have are virtual and run under Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop. And its a very, very bad implementation that naturally we had no control over due to the sheer size of the company.
~Raven