Debt

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Red Devil
Recycler

Debt

Post by Red Devil »

It'd be funny if they voted to raise the debt ceiling and then nobody bought any :lol:
TwinShadow
Sabre

Re: Debt

Post by TwinShadow »

This is really my own personal opinion, but is this really the best place to talk about it? I know the US is $14.7 trillion in debt, but what to do with it and the cieling can become a political debate, which thus can get heated way too fast. Unless things can be kept civil, but fat chance that'll ever happen on forums.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Yeah, was this really a necessary topic?
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

I think MrTwosheds laid it out best.

But referring to the subject. . .this, like the mortgage crisis, is just another of the small waves coming in as everyone in the world stands around calmly on the beach of our world economy debating why the ocean has receded hundreds of yards further out than ever before.
Iron Maiden
Sabre

Post by Iron Maiden »

Its a lose-lose situation either way, much like the aformentioned Tsunami.
Froo
Sober Scav

Post by Froo »

Well, I just hope Congress resolves this. Yes, political conversations get heated fast. I most always
try to avoid them like the plague. Ugh

So anyway.

Have a great weekend folks
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Debt is rather an odd thing, considering that money itself is a purely cultural concept, something we all imagine into existence in order to structure our societies, its negative, debt is also imaginary, so really we could just imagine it away again. Not that many people would go along with that, to many money is everything, what they live for, they thrive on gaining imaginary value while being oblivious to things of true value.
I have this image in my mind of a world denuded of life, littered with billions of banknotes just blowing around in the wind, their value no greater than dust now that those who made them are no longer there to imagine their value.
Our real debt, our real poverty, grows with every species that falls beneath our feet as we stampede around the world chasing figments of our imagination...Money is a cultural mental illness.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

MrTwosheds wrote:". . . debt is also imaginary, so really we could just imagine it away again.
It's imaginary till the local loan shark brings his baseball bat vigorously down across your kneecaps, then it becomes very real. :shock:

But seriously, here's a very interesting 15 minute podcast introspective on debt, inflation and any monetary system called, "The Lie That Saved Brazil"
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

Yup ;-)

Well, you guys can politicize it if you like, but it's still just money. Okay, your money. Okay, your money and your kids' money. Okay, your money, your kids' money, their kids money, and so on, ad infinitum.

i still think it would be funny :D all that wrangling and it winds up being like that quote i heard once: "What if they threw a _____ and nobody came." :lol: Nobody growing and selling food (for what? ), no transportation of it even if they did, and, hence, empty shelves, no gas/diesel/propane/natural gas, and *gulp*, no beer...

hmm, maybe not so funny after all... :?

:P
squirrelof09
Sabre

Post by squirrelof09 »

and *gulp*, no beer..
Oh man. Lol :D. No Vokda for me >_>
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

That imaginary money is what gives the lazy hordes incentive to DO. Do what zax? Fill in the blank.