RIP Steve Jobs

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Commando
Flying Mauler

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

Post by Commando »

Indeed a sad blow to entrapunurialship here in America and a sad time for many people across the globe.
Probably not so sad for those that have lost loved ones due to employees committing suicide to escape the wonderful working conditions at Foxconn or for the employee who was beaten then committed suicide at the same company.
blue_banana
Scrap

Post by blue_banana »

AHadley wrote:Also, I'd like the iPod Touch very much indeed if it weren't for the limitations.
if you want no limits, go jailbreak it. go google redsnow
sabrebattletank
Thunderbolt

Post by sabrebattletank »

Taxes aren't the jobs killer. Cancer is.
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

Commando wrote:
Indeed a sad blow to entrapunurialship here in America and a sad time for many people across the globe.
Probably not so sad for those that have lost loved ones due to employees committing suicide to escape the wonderful working conditions at Foxconn or for the employee who was beaten then committed suicide at the same company.
They'll just build more Dells and motherboards like the one in your pc... or do you buy only free-range, organic components?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

blue_banana wrote:
AHadley wrote:Also, I'd like the iPod Touch very much indeed if it weren't for the limitations.
if you want no limits, go jailbreak it. go google redsnow
Even jailbroken it still has severe limitations. I prefer Rockbox (on my Classic) anyway.

In 2000 we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.

Now, 2011, we have no jobs, no cash, and no hope.
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

I'm beginning to suspect that the reason apple doesn't do more to fight jailbreaking is that they've figured out how to make the jailbreak experience suck. The hackers wander off after they get the big prize, and aren't interested in dealing with all the little things that are left broken.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Do you reckon they've even realised the Classic was cracked?
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Can't wait to dress up as him for Halloween.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

AcneVulgaris wrote:I'm beginning to suspect that the reason apple doesn't do more to fight jailbreaking is that they've figured out how to make the jailbreak experience suck. The hackers wander off after they get the big prize, and aren't interested in dealing with all the little things that are left broken.
Actually there was a lawsuit in the U.S. and it was determined that jailbreaking your iPhone was legal. So at least within the U.S. Apple can't do anything about it.

I believe it was always legal in Canada (as many things are that might surprise you) but in either case it does void your warranty, as would flashing any custom ROM on your smartphone no matter what it was.
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

It's not so much that they don't go after people for it is that they make it so trivially easy to jailbreak, but such a pain in the ass to use your phone normally after being jailbroken.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Which is why I am no fan of the iPhone. Far too limited.
TwinShadow
Sabre

Post by TwinShadow »

I'm not a fan of the iPhone either, never will be. I use an Android phone which does what I want it to do just fine. Jailbreaking usually meant so you can use the phone with a different provider if you chose to do so (since the iPhone was locked with AT&T for god knows how long before Apple and Verizon signed an agreement). But now you have three choices for the iPhone, AT&T, Verizon, and now Sprint. So, I believe the only reason to jailbreak it now is to use apps that aren't on the iTunes App Store. With Android, you're not restricted to the Google Android Market, since you can install, say the Amazon App Store, or some other that you wish without having to root it (Android equivalent to jailbreaking).

Besides, main downside to the iPhone is that most people are too stupid to turn off auto-correct, and thus, you get sites like DYAC or whatever. XD I still don't know what the iPhone does for that and how it tracks the users input...

Actually, the main reason I'll never use an iPhone is not because of the brand or anything, but one of my friends (Sonic to anyone who recognizes that name) has told me that Apple has a very restrictive developer contract. Essentially, if you develop apps for the Apple iTunes Store, you're not allowed, AT ALL, to develop for any other app store except for Apple. So, if you're a developer for Apple, then later release apps on the Android OS, you'll have your developer status revoked from Apple. Its in the contract from what he has told me. But, that is why you jailbreak it, so... meh.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

TwinShadow wrote:Actually, the main reason I'll never use an iPhone is not because of the brand or anything, but one of my friends (Sonic to anyone who recognizes that name) has told me that Apple has a very restrictive developer contract. Essentially, if you develop apps for the Apple iTunes Store, you're not allowed, AT ALL, to develop for any other app store except for Apple. So, if you're a developer for Apple, then later release apps on the Android OS, you'll have your developer status revoked from Apple. Its in the contract from what he has told me. But, that is why you jailbreak it, so... meh.
I don't know if that's correct since there are developers creating apps for all three platforms (Windows, iOS, Android).