Dirt3

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Zero Angel
Attila

Re: Dirt3

Post by Zero Angel »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:I think race games can teach fundamentals like where and how to approach the apex of a curve, how weather is generally going to alter the control of the car, how to pay attention in a cluster. But you're right, there are so many other aspects of driving, a sim can't yet simulate. One of the most important is courtesy and paying attention.

By the way, another driving game that is blowing me away is the new Codemaster simulation, F1 2011. It easily matches Dirt3 in graphical amazement. It's about time ultra-realism was here. ;)
Gran Turismo taught me about how weight transfer affects handling and what to do in certain situations (ie: wheel slip) -- it felt distinctly different from other, more arcadey, games such as Need for Speed and Ridge Racer.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

It's about time ultra-realism was here.
Hmm you have just given me an Idea for an 1/2 ton arcade machine, that when you muff the driving big time, very suddenly launches itself at you at 60mph...You could charge people to watch people playing it to :)
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

If anyone is considering a wheel, I have discovered something unique about the SRW-S1.
I realize controllers like the Wii may have a similar aspect, but I've never seen it in a wheel before.

The wheel relies on it's orientation to the perpendicular vector (artificial horizon) to a perceived god's g. I've found during a turn, or rotation of the wheel, you can jerk or quickly move the wheel laterally and add another layer of enhancement to the turn.

I'm just beginning to use the technique subtly enough to be successful with it.

Since the SRW-S1 doesn't have force feedback, this is a nice little addition I've discovered, however I'm sure I'm not the first.

That, and the ability to hold the wheel at any pitch angle the wheel perceives as flat, makes it MUCH more comfortable than being pulled up to the edge of a table with a mounted wheel.