Bionite: Origins needs Support!

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: Battlezone 3 needs Support!

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:I was talking about books, they are about stories, doesn't matter if they're scientists, wizards , gods or Aliens. Homers odyssey was the science fiction of its time.
Trojan Horse of Troy maybe.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

As you might have guessed, I much prefer science fiction on the harder side. However, I will admit when you enter the realm of ultra hard-core sci-fi such as the likes of Greg Egan, where fairly advanced knowledge of cosmology and computer science are pretty much required, it can get painfully tedious.

When published and marketed, I personally don't consider a good percentage of work labeled as 'science-fiction' true Science Fiction. When speculative/fantasy fiction is categorized as sci-fi, it kind of irks me because the work, research and knowledge is just not there. Sure, the author may have whipped up a world view and reality from scratch, but then the only challenge is to stay consistent and interesting, nothing more. Like Anne McCaffrey novels (who just died a few months ago BTW).

Trouble is, staying consistent in a physical reality that is similar to ours, is the problem for many speculative writers. Again, I fully appreciate there are those who want to 'get away from it all' at least regarding science-based constraints.

A few authors are able to bridge the gap successfully. One novel that comes to mind is Vernor Vinge's 1993 Hugo award winning 'Fire Upon the Deep'. In that novel he rationalizes FTL and other 'unknown' technologies are based on our surrounding density of dark matter. He calls these areas of altered physical possibilities the 'Transcend' (areas of non-existent, or very low dark matter density, usually well out from the galactic center) the 'Beyond', and the 'Slow Zones' (areas of high and extremely high dark matter density, very close to the galactic center).

I am not trying to poo-poo speculative/fantasy fiction. I have loved many nonsensical novels. As I said in another post, I loved Burrough's Barsoom series of novels. And since I sort of sounded like I frowned at Ray Bradbury, I should say his novel, 'The Illustrated Man' is a masterpiece of short stories about the human condition. And his short story All in a Summer Day is as timely as ever considering all the national conversation we have had lately concerning bullying.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

Just an Update:

We've had the honor of meeting with one of the original game developers of BZ to discuss Bionite. We really hope to add him to our Team as a designer. He has some really radical ideas about how BZ should look in 2012 and we plan to follow his ideas in creating Bionite. If I get the ok, ill let you guys know who it is, but until i get the ok 'mums' the word.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

That would be great to have Stahl on the project. ;)
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I get the feeling it's either Stahl or Pickering...
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

LtFEED wrote:Just an Update:

We've had the honor of meeting with one of the original game developers of BZ to discuss Bionite. We really hope to add him to our Team as a designer. He has some really radical ideas about how BZ should look in 2012 and we plan to follow his ideas in creating Bionite. If I get the ok, ill let you guys know who it is, but until i get the ok 'mums' the word.
Any negotiations to use some of the kickstarter or other funding to get license to name?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I hope not. It may have conceived as a BZ game, but it's too far along to be BZ3 now. We (the community) knew from the beginning it was going to ignore BZ2 entirely.

NB: Not speaking in writer capacity
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I could ask Jayden who he had talked to way back. One of them was interested in doing that genera of game again.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

I'm the only woman on the dev team so far................................................................................................................................................................... Image
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

AHadley wrote:ignore BZ2 entirely.
Something had to.

---

While I will admit bz1 didn't leave many plot holes open for a sequel (the fury rock hitting something, spreading biometal to a new world could be one) but we already had a conspiracy theory with bz1's moon landing, didn't need more.

BZ2 has even less sequel hook potential. What can you say that hasn't already been said? You'd have to gut it and reboot the story completely to even get something going. FE was great and all, but it kind of had to bring an entire civilization that blew its own planet up back to life. You can hang a mod on that storyline, but a sequel to the game itself would have been a tenuous hook.

Good luck to the team, I certainly couldn't think of a way to sequel bz1, but I must say I do cringe when I hear "rebel faction" since that is almost as contrived as it gets, was done once is bz1 and twice in bz2 on both sides to little effect.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Zax wrote:Good luck to the team, I certainly couldn't think of a way to sequel bz1, but I must say I do cringe when I hear "rebel faction" since that is almost as contrived as it gets, was done once is bz1 and twice in bz2 on both sides to little effect.
I rant about it in our meetings whenever I see the story guys fartin' around. He comes up with the stupidest crap ever. But nope, nobody listens to a woman... she obviously knows nothing.

We all individually know this game is going to be a piece of ****, (I do at least), but collectively we think otherwise, to the fullest extent.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

And by rebel faction, I meant the CCA. Except their entire side switched to join the greater cause.
BZ2 had the initial Scion rebels, explained by, well... they ummm, rebelled and you know... arbitrary enemies I guess. Then the ISDF rebels which is apparently what you become on the ISDF side of things.

FE Hadean rebels, and...well let's say BZ2 is known for rebellions.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

*ignores rantings and ravings of females and gives support to male-dominated gaming lords*

:P
Mortarion
Griefer

Post by Mortarion »

Zenophas wrote:I'm the only woman on the dev team so far................................................................................................................................................................... Image
(Comment edited for language - GSH)
Zax wrote:And by rebel faction, I meant the CCA. Except their entire side switched to join the greater cause.
BZ2 had the initial Scion rebels, explained by, well... they ummm, rebelled and you know... arbitrary enemies I guess. Then the ISDF rebels which is apparently what you become on the ISDF side of things.

FE Hadean rebels, and...well let's say BZ2 is known for rebellions.
AAN vs Braddocks new regime?

Also, makes no sense why the cold war plotline was abandoned in BZII, everyone suddenly became happy with one another after they defeated the furies? Bullshit.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Mort, you're just getting yourself in hot water here if you keep replying like that in every topic.