Bionite: Origins needs Support!

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Bionite: Origins needs Support!

Post by General BlackDragon »

Yeah, you don't want a "Bionite Forever".
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

The cryengine does sound like a good alternative, i'll have to contact them to see how the commercial liscence works. If we switch engines it will be to continue with the PC version. We will continue to use the UDK for the iOS version. UDK just charges way way too much money for an editor that is way under documented and FULL of bugs. From what i understand, there is only a one time fee for Unity for each platform to distribute commercially, with UDK they want 25% of everything after the first 50$K. Switching to Unity would probably be easier to do now, before the MP and RTS elements are added. THe biggest issues with UDK is the bugs and the language they use, Unity doesnt have these problems.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

If you are changing engines that means you are about nowhere in the coding process, or a mad man.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

i really dont care what your opinion is nielk1.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

LtFEED wrote:i really dont care what your opinion is nielk1.
Yea, you tend not to care about the opinions of people that have an idea of what they are talking about. In fact, you normally resort to slander to try to demean anyone who doesn't agree with you, though there is a chance you actually believe half the stuff you spout.

Good to know you are never going to finish this project, I just feel sorry for anyone who donated to the project.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

Have a nice day, Nielk1 ;)
TwinShadow
Sabre

Post by TwinShadow »

Lol, I'm actually laughing, with no real intentions of sounding offensive, but.. man I knew this would of happened.

Let me tell you something about games on not only iOS, but Android as well. I read a TON about Android, and those same news sites also report occasionally about the iOS platform. Games 'sometimes' sell better on iOS because you can't really get "free" on iOS due to Apple's locked-down policy of their app store. Android is a bit more open, and some games not only have a premium variant, some also provide a free, ad-supported version for their game.

This has not always been the case though. Some developers on Android lately have switched to a more IAP (In-App Purchase) model which can work if done correctly.

However, both models can sometimes not be profitable at all. Big name companies will probably have their followers, others will genuinely like a game to buy it. Basically, N1 is right about quite a few things.

Like I said before, I think the Battlezone series should just be left the way it is and not try to make a "sequel" to it or reinvent the wheel. Instead, focus should probably be spent more on trying to make something a bit more original (what's original anymore when everything is a copy of something already done..) for a FPS/RTS hybrid.

PS: Don't expect the iOS version to bring in a whole lot of money, especially if Apple charges developers to make any apps to put on their app store. When users see a lot of 1/2 star reviews, chances are not likely people will download/buy an app. I've avoided quite a few on Android like that.
If you happen to be looking through my posts, I have completely dumped all things related to Battlezone. Do not contact me, do not bother me. Been harassed enough as it is and am done entirely.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I'm trying to imagine playing a bz style game on my little samsung android phone, but I can't, I can just about misspell simple text msg's with it... Only certain types of games work out for hand held devices.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

yep, theres no way to play a bz type game on the phone, and we didnt even test it on the phone. Its strictly made for the tablet. If we release a version for the phone it will be boiled down to reduce the keys to a minimum.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

TwinShadow wrote:Lol, I'm actually laughing, with no real intentions of sounding offensive, but.. man I knew this would of happened.
I'm not laughing, but assumed the same end-result.
But thats usually a standard, look at the mods that have been advertised the most, look at their status atm ....
I could name a few, but I think everybody can guess as few.
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

Based on LTFeed's posts in the last page or so of this thread, it's sounding more and more like this is his first ever project.

This will be an expensive, prolonged car crash that will be enjoyable to watch. It reminds me of when TJ did the "I'm not content with this being a mod, I'm going to make it a whole new game!" thing on the face of it, but TJ saw sense pretty quickly.

I have no such hope of LTFEED.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

maybe you havnt played the last alpha that was released a few months ago:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4knU4_ ... sp=sharing

its an alpha and needs some work with the front end and the firing mechanism, but for the most part its a whole game. It is my first project, but for those of you whom think this will fail, you need to see the last alpha. Im working on converting this alpha into a PC MP beta right now, and the game will be available on the app store. Im working on the minimap and once the MP beta is done I will put the game back up on Greenlight. I never said the game was finished, it could be in beta for another year.

I dont understand what the big deal is, eveyone knows this is my first project. UDK is still in beta and its full of bugs. Switching engines is mostly a MONEY issue. What more do you need to see before you get over the fact that this will be finished. During the time i have had this post on this forum, i have gone from zero knowledge and experience to a 95% finished game and a version on the app store. Maybe some of you need to do a reality check and ask yourselfs "what have I done during the past 2 years" Unless your hiding your project from the public, i havnt seen anything.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

LtFEED wrote:I dont understand what the big deal is, eveyone knows this is my first project.
Dont get upset Lt, most people here have no intention to bash you or your work, at most your methods or seemingly lack of planning. Combine that with a rather headstrong community and you should be able to understand most comments.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

I know Red Spot, you and most of the people on this forum have been supportive and cool people. I super appreciate the support from this community. But some people just dont have any idea what it takes to accomplish something like this.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

LtFEED wrote:I know Red Spot, you and most of the people on this forum have been supportive and cool people. I super appreciate the support from this community. But some people just dont have any idea what it takes to accomplish something like this.
Yes and no. Some people here know exactly what it takes to accomplish something like this, and that is the reason you receive criticism. At the same time, as I already mentioned, people here have a tendency to be rather headstrong and like to argue eventhough they already closed(dont mistake this for 'formed') their own opinion.
So you do need to filter out a fair bit of bias, but overall some pretty decent advice has been given to you. In the end however it is your call how to persue things and nobody has the right to bash you for it. People are free to 'respectfully' give their positive and negative opinion though.