Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Battlezone 3 needs Support!

Post by Ded10c »

S.cavA.rmyG.en wrote:
LtFEED wrote:New Vid with detail on the Razor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmB0555C ... 3fXjwb7wI=
boring junk I did not need to know.
You did not have to watch the video. What may bore you may interest somebody else.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

S.cavA.rmyG.en wrote:
LtFEED wrote:New Vid with detail on the Razor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmB0555C ... 3fXjwb7wI=
boring junk I did not need to know.
No, he's onto something. I can't say no offense because this next part will doubtlessly offend, but whoever voiced it (the project manager?) has an insufferable voice. It was like the guy who voiced Eisenstein in FE but his was done for comedic effect. The razor video was his natural speaking voice. Had to turn it off.

Too many dead moments with just a picture on the screen and exposition. Then some footage that we've already seen and some stills.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

As I suggested at YT, I'm really hoping the control physics is an absolute top priority.

These BZ games are nothing without their particular control physics. BZ has its nuance, BZ2 and BZE has theirs. Each has pros and cons, and each has its fans. Without the control physics you love. . .or can grow to love. . .all these BZ games would be distilled to stilted and awkward DMs and average complexity RTS'.

So far the Bionite graphics appear ok for UDK, certainly nothing ground shaking by any measure, so control physics will be the critical.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

found out how to adjust them on the fly, so that should be fun
Gamer1
Drunken Scav

Post by Gamer1 »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:
Zax wrote:Some of my favorite scenes were the AI pilots slowly advancing backwards from a fury, taking potshots at it. Ken will have to say if that was intentional. IRRELEVANT! Space soldiers just don't work in bz universe because being on foot in space surrounded by death machines just doesn't work.
I would have thought the parallel to any kind of sensible reality and the BZ/BZ2 universe was settled.

BZ2, and to a slight lesser degree, BZ1 are so fundamentally in the Saturday morning cartoon realm, making sense of it as compared to any sort of reality is useless.
IMHO.. Games are supposed to be FUN... Reality is NOT fun.. and Saturday Morning Cartoons ROCK! This is fundamentally the draw of BattleZone. To have a massive machine at your control to blow stuff up AND it's futuristic so it's agile and can be fast and can float / fly.. all things we would LIKE to do in Reality but can't.. Make it look real, make it plausible so you can immerse yourself in the fantasy. But don't take away the FUN of it! This is the mantra that those developing BZ should embrace.

[steps down off of soapbox]
S.cavA.rmyG.en
Sabre

Post by S.cavA.rmyG.en »

IMHO.. Games are supposed to be FUN... Reality is NOT fun.. and Saturday Morning Cartoons ROCK! This is fundamentally the draw of BattleZone. To have a massive machine at your control to blow stuff up AND it's futuristic so it's agile and can be fast and can float / fly.. all things we would LIKE to do in Reality but can't.. Make it look real, make it plausible so you can immerse yourself in the fantasy. But don't take away the FUN of it! This is the mantra that those developing BZ should embrace.
I could not say it better if I tryed.
but I would have said some thing about anime instead of cartoons.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Gamer1 wrote:
Psychedelic Rhino wrote:
Zax wrote:Some of my favorite scenes were the AI pilots slowly advancing backwards from a fury, taking potshots at it. Ken will have to say if that was intentional. IRRELEVANT! Space soldiers just don't work in bz universe because being on foot in space surrounded by death machines just doesn't work.
I would have thought the parallel to any kind of sensible reality and the BZ/BZ2 universe was settled.

BZ2, and to a slight lesser degree, BZ1 are so fundamentally in the Saturday morning cartoon realm, making sense of it as compared to any sort of reality is useless.

[steps down off of soapbox]
As far as I can see, nobody's taking the fun out of anything. But we do like the story of Battlezone to be gounded firmly in science fiction rather than science fantasy.

And bear in mind we're not actually talking about a Battlezone game in this thread, just a spiritual successor.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

I have no problem at all with a total fantasy game environment. All I was referring to is you cannot try and relate to any sort of fantasy premise on one hand, then expect the player to believe it relates in any way to the real world on the other.

The original 1998 BZ did exactly that by using the mid 60's space launch and historical dialog in the intro. In a sense BZ2 removed itself from that connection and fully immersed itself with literary likes of Jonny Quest, Space Ghost and the Transformers.

It's a bit like the on-going confusion most people have differentiating between fantasy/speculative fiction and true science fiction. There's a special type of inward groan when you have a conversation with someone and they compare the 'science' of writers like Ray Bradbury and hard science fiction writers such as Issac Asimov.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

people confuse games with simulations. in a game, i expect alien bosses who are 50 feet tall; not so much in MS Flight Sim.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

There's a special type of inward groan when you have a conversation with someone and they compare the 'science' of writers like Ray Bradbury and hard science fiction writers such as Issac Asimov.
Science Fiction, fantasy, classical literature, actually there is actually very little difference. Hard science fiction writers like to dress up their stories with fictional science that seems plausible and often incorporate new theory's, usually reality catches up with it and reverts it back to fantasy, non of this matters, what matters is a good story.
Personally I find hard SF is frequently a bit dull as it often goes into far too much detail about its fictional science, Please spare me the grim details of your imagined under-space calculus, it is not good reading. Just pulp some hideous alien heads with huge cybernetic fists and get on with the story. :D
Remarkably I have just re-read nearly all of Neal Ashers magnificent books, Usually I never read a book twice, but these are so much fun and so interlinked that I just couldn't help myself. Such a wonderful mix of revolting alien biology, high tech gadgits and mad bad guys with huge guns. They're a must read for any SF fan.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Hard Science Fiction is entirely different from a Fantasy story with a fake Science Fiction backdrop. I like things between the hard and the midway to hard range. I despise stuff like Sta Wwars which is just a fantasy movie with Scifi props.

Hard Scifi normally attempts to make you think about the future, Fantasy Scifi is just about imagination.

Oh, and the new thing, Action Scifi, is just about explosions.
S.cavA.rmyG.en
Sabre

Post by S.cavA.rmyG.en »

Oh, and the new thing, Action Scifi, is just about explosions.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I was talking about books, they are about stories, doesn't matter if they're scientists, wizards , gods or Aliens. Homers odyssey was the science fiction of its time.