Bionite: Origins needs Support!

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Bionite: Origins needs Support!

Post by General BlackDragon »

You don't want to call a unit factory, a unit factory? I'm pretty sure "Factory", and "Armory" arn't names that are copyrighted by Activision, and it would be awkward to rename them.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

good point GBD! we could use those names, but if we could come up with unique ones, maybe we should IDK.

id say if we get stumped on names we can always fall back on those names, but if we do some brainstorming we could come up with some unique names.

I wonder if Recycler and Scavengar arnt universal enough to use also?
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

Nielk1 wrote:Doesn't that seem a bit big? HUDs generally should be minimalistic. The best situation to be in would be one where you could edit the locations of widgets, but if you make the entire UI one giant widget you don't have that option.

i hadnt considerd that neilk1, good point :)

it is big, but i was concerned about visibility of the status widgets for the bots on the F key icons. when you say "edit the location of widgets" do you mean having the ability to locate those custom based on the players preference. If so, that is a GREAT idea and one that we should look into developing further. :)
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

LtFEED wrote:
Nielk1 wrote:Doesn't that seem a bit big? HUDs generally should be minimalistic. The best situation to be in would be one where you could edit the locations of widgets, but if you make the entire UI one giant widget you don't have that option.

i hadnt considerd that neilk1, good point :)

it is big, but i was concerned about visibility of the status widgets for the bots on the F key icons. when you say "edit the location of widgets" do you mean having the ability to locate those custom based on the players preference. If so, that is a GREAT idea and one that we should look into developing further. :)
Here is an example of what another game has:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nielk1/scr ... 1201408972

If you allow for scaling or choice between a few different options (small more compact options for example) that should allow your UI to be acceptable by nearly all. Of course, have defaults that you can click to restore the entire UI if you do this.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

Here is the Constructor Model, done by Nostromo:

If you allow for scaling or choice between a few different options (small more compact options for example) that should allow your UI to be acceptable by nearly all. Of course, have defaults that you can click to restore the entire UI if you do this.
Thats a great idea Nielk1, the scaling would be great for different sized screens. Have a defailt compact UI would make it easier for pilots. Im wondering if having a way to save UI layouts would be a good idea also. From a coding stand point, that would be relatively easy to implement. Im going to add that to our game design. :)
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

Heres it the WIP tech tree the design crew came up with:

we plan on expanding it alot, ideas and suggestions are welcome :)

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j44 ... 32f742.jpg
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Level 4 and 5 are hard to read because CONTRAST.

My suggestion, fire your image designer.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

thats not really much of a suggestion, GBD.

It is a little hard to read if not zoomed in, but do you really think that is grounds to fire MJ?

you dont think that would be a little harsh?
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

The firing thing was a joke :)
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

ahhh ok :)

please look at that Tech Tree and let me know if you have any ideas, we need to expand that :)
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Can your game upgrade weapons like BZ2 yet? additional weapons are a good opportunity to fill in tech tree unlocks.

OFC I'm partial to BZ1, where you can just build anything u want, if you have the resources.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

We are working on a couple new elements for BIONITE in addition to the RTS elements. First, were working on a modular building system for pilots to 'fabricate' their own vehs. Second we are working on a way to create custom weapns. After referencing the BZ Tech Tree, we want to provide a weapon upgrade method that is similar to BZ2. I like having the weapons available in BZ1, but having the weapon upgrades contingent on the assets in game adds another dimension to game play. We havn't got as far as setting up the weapon upgrade system just yet, so any ideas or comments about that are welcome.

ALSO, here is the download link to BIONITE, revision 5 if anyone wants to check out the new Mars map, BIODOME 24. That map is currently setup for a singleplayer preview:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4knU4 ... sp=sharing

If anyone hasnt voted for the game on Greenlite, please do. Also were asking people to tell their friends about the game on Greenlite: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =265930812
mjl09
Scrap

Post by mjl09 »

General BlackDragon wrote:Level 4 and 5 are hard to read because CONTRAST.
My suggestion, fire your image designer.
I demand an Investigation !!!!
Who resized it ? Maybe they should be fired ??
But anyway this version should hopefully be easier to read
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/14/94/43/84/techtr14.jpg
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

much :)
mase
Thunderbolt

Post by mase »

Looks like you can't build turrets right from the start..