What happened to Dark Reign 2?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Ded10c
Recycler

Re: What happened to Dark Reign 2?

Post by Ded10c »

forgottengames wrote:
Is there an active DR2 community?
There used to be, until the official servers were shut down in November 2008. Afterwards, what remained of the community resorted to VPNs and other means of online multiplayer. If we could fix the code somehow, we just may be able to revive the underground DR2 hype, the same way GSH kept BZ2 alive after an early death.

And by the way Nielk1, enlighten me: What exactly is a dedicated server?
A dedicated server is up and hosting constantly, and the hosting machine normally hasn't got a player on it (if it has, by my understanding, it's a "listen" server).
Echo 343
Rattler

Post by Echo 343 »

I still play it occasionally. That being said, I have it loaded with mods. Path-finding is still bollocks.
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

It's so bone-aching to hear that a once monstrously-popular cult favorite has sank into the abyss of underappreciated and forgotten games. We now have its source code, mysteriously made available by an unnamed face, but it seems there is little hope for its future.

UPDATE: I'm sending emails to Greg Borrud and Miller over the weekend. Hoping for a response.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Bump, because nobody's posted this yet: Dark Reign, Rise of the Shadowhand, and Dark Reign 2 are all on GOG, and fully compatible with Windows 7. If you get them, be sure to vote BZ and BZ2 up on the wishlist!

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dark_reign_expansion/
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dark_reign_2/
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

Thanks for letting me know! I'll be getting those over the summer, that's for sure!
BZ2 is now upvoted.
It's a cold world and THIS IS ICE
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i got them awhile back and it asks me to insert my cd whenever i click on campaign
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
grasmanek94
Scrap

Post by grasmanek94 »

forgottengames wrote:It's so bone-aching to hear that a once monstrously-popular cult favorite has sank into the abyss of underappreciated and forgotten games. We now have its source code, mysteriously made available by an unnamed face, but it seems there is little hope for its future.

UPDATE: I'm sending emails to Greg Borrud and Miller over the weekend. Hoping for a response.
It's no mistery, I admit I realeased it, I got some contact with ex-devs of DR2 and nicely asked them for the source. If any 'viruses' in it then It's not included by me. One thing I have to say: I am able to just unpack the rar with source code, open the project with VC++6 and compile it, it compile fine, I placed the compiled executable in my DR2 directory and it also works nice (+you have the DEV menu enabled! instead of stupid command to enter the map editor you can use a button =D).

Anyway I am just looking for someone who can make a chat lobby server and masterlist server for DR2, the LAN play works so maybe we just copy paste some code from that part? (styxnet, as far as I know)

The WONAPI DR2 used a api called TitanAPI and the won servers were called "TitanServer(s)". I can't find any info about those API's.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

The virus alerts I got are probably just an overactive Antivirus, but when that happens I tell others to air on the side of caution. Of course none of it stops me from messing with it, I know how to use sandboxes.

I suggest that for chat you implement IRC and use a room on gamesurge.net, which is what BZ2 1.3 did.

The game list would be a smidge harder to replace as you need to set up some sort of server no matter what you use unless you somehow get it put on gamespy. I mean, you could run it though an IRC bot or something but that's a misuse of IRC really. A listing server probably wouldn't get much traffic though if all it was doing was listing games and taking heartbeats. I can't offer such a thing since my host doesn't allow daemons.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

got the campaigns (dr2 from gog) to run after sticking in an old cd i found.

if anyone know how to use the cheats, i'd appreciate you telling me.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
grasmanek94
Scrap

Post by grasmanek94 »

Nielk1 wrote:The virus alerts I got are probably just an overactive Antivirus, but when that happens I tell others to air on the side of caution. Of course none of it stops me from messing with it, I know how to use sandboxes.

I suggest that for chat you implement IRC and use a room on gamesurge.net, which is what BZ2 1.3 did.

The game list would be a smidge harder to replace as you need to set up some sort of server no matter what you use unless you somehow get it put on gamespy. I mean, you could run it though an IRC bot or something but that's a misuse of IRC really. A listing server probably wouldn't get much traffic though if all it was doing was listing games and taking heartbeats. I can't offer such a thing since my host doesn't allow daemons.
If I could do that I would've done that, I'm not a c/c++ programmer ; x I just know the basics of that language, maybe even not all basics.
Red Devil wrote:got the campaigns (dr2 from gog) to run after sticking in an old cd i found.

Well there are no built-in cheats as far as I know but I can make a trainert for 1.3, if you ave another version then send me your executable so I can make a trainer for that specific one.

But ok , no-one here able to program in VC++6 ? :X
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I could but I don't want to. I also don't have the time.
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

UPDATE: It appears that the source code was actually "leaked." There is no official statement that it was released under the LGPL license. Activision's head would probably be spinning right now if Pandemic was still around. :mrgreen:
It's a cold world and THIS IS ICE
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Did DR2 use the aip code that is in Bz/Bz2 and if so, was it a newer version then Bz?
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Apollo wrote:Did DR2 use the aip code that is in Bz/Bz2 and if so, was it a newer version then Bz?
DR2 and BZ2 share some aspects of rendering engine. That is pretty much the limit of that.
Echo 343
Rattler

Post by Echo 343 »

Red Devil wrote:got the campaigns (dr2 from gog) to run after sticking in an old cd i found.

There are none. You could copy and paste the campaign maps into multiplayer if you're having trouble with certain levels. It should be noted that if you've patched the game to 1.2-1.3, IA will be harder due to AI building two of every production building.
:.Lingering Echo.: