Guide to Emulating Rise of the Black Dogs

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Ded10c
Recycler

Guide to Emulating Rise of the Black Dogs

Post by Ded10c »

From talking with Goomba it seems most people either haven't tried emulating Rise of the Black Dogs or gave up when it didn't work. So here's a guide to get it to do what you want it to.

Obviously, the first things you will need are an emulator and a ROM. The emulator I've used is Project64, the latest version of which should be fine. I don't remember the source of my ROM but any one of them should be fine.

Once you've installed Project64 and have it set up (the default settings should be fine) you'll want to try running your ROM. The first thing you'll notice is audio stuttering, which you can fix by going to the audio plugins dialog. Check "Sync game to Audio" and you should be good to go.

Before you jump into a game, the first thing you'll want to do is disable the cockpit, because all they leave you with is a glitchy mass over your view. You can get to that via Options > Game Options > Display Cockpits.

The second problem is the flickering. It's intermittent, so you might not spot it straight away, but it's there. I get it quite reliably in most of the single-player missions. Unfortunately, the fix for this is a bit of a tradeoff; by repairing the flickering you'll break your radar. If you want to use it, the option is in Graphics Configuration (Rom Settings > Direct3D Clear Mode; you want this set to "Only per frame").

Once all that's set up, you should be good to go.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!