Fallout 3 (and more than likelly also Fallout: New Vegas)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Red Spot
Attila

Re: Fallout 3 (and more than likelly also Fallout: New Vegas

Post by Red Spot »

I agree, but at the time I did enjoy the game. But I never played any class beyond a true warrior type and trained myself in the caves around the starting areas. After a while you find out you actually become too powerfull for the game to remain fun.
Having played Morrowind I never played Oblivion beyond a single walkthrough, it felt basicly as a more refinend Morrowind, which is probably also the reason I never picked up Fallout before.

Having said that, Fallout clearly is different game than the other 2, eventhough it clearly is build on the legacy of the others. But in Fallout the start is also pretty difficult, I believe it also made a reference to being too weak to do anything at start. Getting owned at start by a couple of wildlife creatures proved that :)

Since reaching lvl 4 or so and having gotten a very nice selection of small guns it became a true blast though. Though I can imagine it is not a game for everyone, certain things may feel a bit like a chore.

edit: A few screenschots - click
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Some things get less chore like as you go up the levels, collecting bits of junk becomes less important, and you just collect the higher value items like weapons, after a while you end up with a lot of caps and there is not much to spend them all on. Charon is a good purchase.
Really it needs some sort of clever code that inserts new missions and characters to interact with later in the game, You certainly run low on characters to murder if you choose the path of evil. :twisted:
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

But I do not, I'm a sweatheart!
And Charon is that 'zombie' isnt he? If so, you shouldnt have to buy him when you're evil, just follow his current owners quest ;)
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

He's neutral and you have to buy him off the guy in the museum bar. "good" companions seem a bit stroppy to me, they get a bit funny if you accidentally kill too many innocents. After you buy him he shoots the bar owner and if your sneaky you can steal back your caps. :)
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Spoiler ..

Talk to the bar owner, he wants you to kill his competition in the bar across the hall, then he will give you Charons contract for free.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Hmm, I thought it was the one where you had to kill 3 people (or get their keys) I might be confused, it was a while ago.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Thats a quest to get a specific type of armor. That quest is given in the bar who's owner needs a slight bit killed in order to get Charon .. for free.

If you ask around the museum you'll find out you dont need to kill the 3 people who have the keys (just get the keys from them), but you do need to kill Tenpenny. But you can screw him over and keep the keys for yourself and so get the amor for yourself, but that probably also has some consequences.

Edit: I dont think I'll have issues killing Tenpenny though, eventhough I'm playing the saint - click :evil:
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The karma system seems a bit imbalanced to me, If you do too much good/bad, its very difficult to get it back down again.
Some girl in megaton was so impressed with my saintly karma that she got really annoying, giving me stuff I didn't want every time I went out...I had to reload from save quite a few times after shooting her out of pure irritation. :shock:
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Thats not completelly true 2Sheds, you even have quests that give you 1000/2000 karma so you can completelly reset your stance. But there are also quests that are painfull if you want to go either way, like the 'Blood ties' quest, which apparently always gives 300 good karma for completing it eventhough you killed the entire 'Family'.

I do love Megaton though, just standing in town I keep getting Med-X, ammo, etc - just cause the people love me so much. I do have (near) 1000 good karma though and am 'Very Good'. The side effect is that I have 2 parties giving out contracts to kill me, which can be very painfull.

Yesterday I left 'the Family' into the wastelands and was wearing normal clothing to give me speechbonusses when I got surprised by 3 Mercs with laser 'rifles', that does sting a bit. But sleeping for an hour makes it all good again :)

Concerning karma, just steal to bring karma down, and give away clean water/donate to churches to bring it up again. In regard to churches, every bottlecap gives you 1 karma, so donate 2000 bottlecaps and you can go from Very Bad to Very Good. (Re)Kill some essential characters and you can easilly bring it down again :D
-
Threedog here bringing you .. bang bang .. 'you lost Karma' ... Threedog here br... bang bang .. 'you lost Karma' .. :twisted:
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I'm considering a 3rd replay...with the wanderers edition mod.
http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/2761//?
Not sure if I can really do it all again though.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Specially in games like this I dont use mods. If I end up believing the game has issues I'll mod it myself, or accept that it is that way.

Not sure if I will ever replay the game though, lets first of all finish it. Than try New Vegas, and afaik there is talk about a Fallout 4 (not sure though). So plenty of new stuff to shoot :)
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

If I really like a game I usually replay them at least once, First time is fun because you don't know whats going to happen, the second is fun because you do... :)
I tried the martsMutantMod but didn't like it, nor did my pc.
Ill try this one out, it sounds good, if it isn't i'll stop.

edit.
Actually it seems I won't try it, as I am unable to dl all of it intact. :cry:
DuoRanger
Thunderbolt

Post by DuoRanger »

man, the best way to play Fallout 3 these days is using the Tale of Two Wastelands mod
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

For {Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Skyrim}, I've gotten 60-100 hours of playtime with just one character. Then I finish the main quest, and generally stop playing. That's plenty of bang-for-my-buck.

-- GSH
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

DuoRanger wrote:man, the best way to play Fallout 3 these days is using the Tale of Two Wastelands mod
No it is not. The best way to play games like this is how you like to play them. ;)
GSH wrote:For {Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Skyrim}, I've gotten 60-100 hours of playtime with just one character. Then I finish the main quest, and generally stop playing. That's plenty of bang-for-my-buck.

-- GSH
I think I may have 40 hours in Fallout 3 by now, and still havent done Threedogs part of the main quest. Not sure how far that gets me in the main quest, but I like to think its fairly little. I just love to explore the world and get a good feel for the game/environments/etc.
I've really come to love my new dog, specially when wandering around the Wasteland.