Game with a 13GB patch

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

GSH
Patch Creator

Game with a 13GB patch

Post by GSH »

See this. Now that's excessive.

I bet they precalculated a bunch into huge local files, and couldn't figure out a binary patch setup. MS will be incentivized to do that ... eventually. I guess. Xbox one seems very half-assed for something 7 years in development

-- GSH
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: Game with a 13GB patch

Post by MrTwosheds »

No doubt its all the DLC you can buy...wether you actually bought it or not, that way nobody gets bad asset problems and all they have to do is activate it once you pay up. :)
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Not even Guild Wars 2 (an MMO) has patches that big. A 13GB patch sounds like straight up bad design, especially since you're not going to be pulling in 10+ GB of art assets normally (unless maybe they recompiled all their models or switched to a new texture format or something).

UPDATE: Yup, confirmed. Twosheds is right. It's DLC stuff being crammed into the patch.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
DarkCobra262
Sabre

Post by DarkCobra262 »

Zero Angel wrote:Not even Guild Wars 2 (an MMO) has patches that big. A 13GB patch sounds like straight up bad design, especially since you're not going to be pulling in 10+ GB of art assets normally (unless maybe they recompiled all their models or switched to a new texture format or something).

UPDATE: Yup, confirmed. Twosheds is right. It's DLC stuff being crammed into the patch.
Well I guess I'm late to the party, but IMO, that's a bad way to do business... but ofc people are STILL going to buy it
Modding/Modelling like a noob...
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

That's the thing about consoles, once you paid for it you then have to buy its games... it can't do anything else. Can't dl 13 gb on a dial up connection? bad luck.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Actually, what has changed this past generation (Wii, X360, PS3) is that consoles have added non-game apps, such as Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/Amazon Streaming. And those have proven very popular with consumers -- see reports like this. There's also the Xbox One's ability to have a HDMI "passthrough" (HDMI in port, with XBox One rendering some stuff on top of that) to try and manage cable TV boxes (US only so far) as a way to try and put that console always in your face for media, not just playing games. The PS4/WiiU appear to be more "traditional" consoles in that they focus more on games, don't try and manage your media, but they still do have non-game apps.

Only Microsoft has chosen to try and monetize such non-game apps, with a requirement for Xbox Gold (MSRP $60/year) in order to use Netflix on X360/Xbox One, or Skype on X1. That's not the only benefit of Xbox Gold, but Sony and Nintendo have made it fairly clear that they do not intend to charge to use their console as a gateway. As consoles used to be more of a sell the razor for cheap and make the markup on the blades (i.e. subsidized console, and get $8-10 for each game sold), hours spent in non-game apps meant less profit for the console maker. There may be less of an initial loss on hardware this time around, not sure.

I suspect that there may be some more non-game apps this generation (WiiU, Xbox One, PS4). Whether trying to charge an additional cost to use is a good idea (for overall profits) or bad (turning people to free competitors).

-- GSH
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

DarkCobra262 wrote:... but ofc people are STILL going to buy it
No, they already bought it .. then got surprised by the size of the update :)
Makes me think of Swords of the Stars 2, great concept, crappy delivery .. now they'll make you pay for 3-4 DLC's before you actually get the full game .. after months/years of patching.