Rome 2 - Total War

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Red Spot
Attila

Rome 2 - Total War

Post by Red Spot »

I've been looking into this game and cant really decide if its worth buying it or not. It seems like an awesome game and since Rome - Total War is one of my favourite games I really want it to be worth it.
However, Medieval 2 was a huge disappointment for me. Lag, units that didnt work, features that didnt work, etc. Empires & Napoleon didnt seem very appealing either.

I'd really like to give Rome 2 a chance and so was wondering if anyone here actually got the game and could give me an idea if the patched game is actually worth it, or is Rome still the best out of the Total War-serie?

I've read some other reviews but those tend to go from 'stay away' to 'this rules' and generally arent too clear how far the game was patched they arent all that convincing.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: Rome 2 - Total War

Post by Nielk1 »

It depends on if they fixed the massive pile of bugs.

I am at work so I can't give you a link, but to see how bad it was at launch look for Angry Joe's and TotalBiscuit's videos on "Rome 2 -Total War". Actually, I honestly don't remember if TB even did a video, I know Angry Joe did and damn it was bad when it came out.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

I know, that is also the difficulty. Most reviews seem to be pre-patch 9. Where is see some talk about them fixing about 600-900(?) bugs in total.
But does that mean the game is now good, or will never be worth a thing.

I bought M2 (collectors edition) and even the Kingdoms DLC, but when they moved on while M2 was still garbage I just lost complete interest in the TW-games. With the first Rome they at least made it a decent game and the fans know you need to get Barbarian Invasion and use that to run Rome (launch BI with the mod flag, without pointing to an actual mod, which makes it load Rome itself with all the extras from BI). Seems it was the last time they actually spend enough time on their products to make it good enough.

Since I dont know anyone that actually has the game I basicly need to purchase it to try it out, but at €50+ thats a lot of money to potentially trow out the window. I already did that with M2 (gave it away for free).
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

I might be late to the party here but I own the game and thought I'd way in.

At release it was a massive insult to all those who were suckered in to pre-order it(me). In its current state it is substantially improved and many of the most glaring bugs are quashed, and their are some good mods out there for it that fix a lot of the lingering issues. If you enjoy total war it's not a bad purchase, but get it while it's on sale as any company that insults its fans as Creative assembly did does not serve that much of your money. Be advised that it takes a very high quality rig to run it max.

Hope this helps.
Known on FF.net as John Mccallistair, link provided below if you're interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5916137/John-Mccallistair
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Thanks IM. I kind got that idea already but thanks for confirming it.
I'm tempted to buy(build) a new PC soonish, not sure though since my current system does all I need it to. If I do I'll likelly hunt down a cheap copy of R2:TW, even if it is to remove any doubt.

This talk did rekindle my interest in RTW and finished an other Julii campaign .. :)