What it costs to make a videogame

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

GSH
Patch Creator

What it costs to make a videogame

Post by GSH »

And these are the smaller indie projects, not the 100+ employee teams that are the norm in the commercial AAA games space. Pandemic's last project, The Saboteur, had 100+ employees on it, plus external QA and other resources.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAn ... _Sales.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KevinMax ... eloper.php

-- GSH
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Re: What it costs to make a videogame

Post by LtFEED »

is that the cost in dollars or lives?
;)
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

:)
It all started out so simple...One geek with a vision, 2 colors and a lot of imagination...
These days the development process exceeds the life expectancy of the game and its platform.
I wonder if we will achieve full virtual reality programs before the sun goes out. :lol:
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

i wonder if thats why most of the large dev ccompanies are going under or why a Brand like Assissins Creed would switch to Unity?

since most of the companies in the US are drivin by profit, original games like BZ get left behind and it kills the creativity and uniqueness of games, imo.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

LtFEED wrote:i wonder if thats why most of the large dev ccompanies are going under or why a Brand like Assissins Creed would switch to Unity?

since most of the companies in the US are drivin by profit, original games like BZ get left behind and it kills the creativity and uniqueness of games, imo.
What are you talking about? AC Unity is just a name, not some sort of engine change, like all prior AC games and several other games it is made with the Anvil engine. Big publishers and devs have realized to survive that they need to start reusing their engines for more than 2 games and licensing them out to other studios and even indies. Of course, many are still making games with massive budgets that still fail to sell enough despite millions of copies sold.

The big thing that needs to happen is more well targeted experiences. Aim at a specific body of players with a specific budget. Or do what FarCry 3 did and reuse your engine and most of your assets to make a cheap additional standalone game. Work smarter, not harder.

Generas that were long thought dead are brought back by independent development, look at survival horror. A BZ like game could easily arise and bring the genera back to the forefront, but it will take lots of hard work, iteration, and probably a series of smaller releases along the way to acclimate the user base and the dev team.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

Those are some very good points Nielk1, and I agree with you. Working smarter and not harder is my motto. :)