Unreal Engine 4 is now FREE!

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Re: Unreal Engine 4 is now FREE!

Post by LtFEED »

DeusExCeteri wrote:I neither believe that Steam will go the way of Atari nor that open source software for creating games is a bad thing. What I do think is a bad thing is the shear lack of quality control that would allow a game like Air Control to be sold for any amount of money.

I don't care if that was a "joke" or "troll" game, it was filled to the brim with stolen models, music, and other assets and the fact that it's creators actually made money is sickening. Steam needs to regulate what it puts on it's digital shelves before someone pulls something that has serious legal ramifications for the entire gaming market.

damn straight. Deus is absolutly correct on this issue. I would think that distributors like steam would be more careful about this issue, due to litigation.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

What I do think is a bad thing is the shear lack of quality control that would allow a game like Air Control to be sold for any amount of money.
I haven't seen or played that game, but I can quite distinctly recall having much the same feelings about a certain companies console games for their megadrive product. Being ripped off is nothing new in the world of computer games.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:
What I do think is a bad thing is the shear lack of quality control that would allow a game like Air Control to be sold for any amount of money.
I haven't seen or played that game, but I can quite distinctly recall having much the same feelings about a certain companies console games for their megadrive product. Being ripped off is nothing new in the world of computer games.
You have to see this game to believe it 2sheds. IM me or something, I have a copy I can send you.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I suspect I will be able to live without it. :)
I once took a sega cartridge back to the shop where I bought it, There Is No Game! I said, they only cared about it working, I did not get my money back.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:I suspect I will be able to live without it. :)
I once took a sega cartridge back to the shop where I bought it, There Is No Game! I said, they only cared about it working, I did not get my money back.
This is worse than that.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

MrTwosheds wrote:I once took a sega cartridge back to the shop where I bought it, There Is No Game! I said, they only cared about it working, I did not get my money back.
They were obliged to refund you, you realise?
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:
MrTwosheds wrote:I once took a sega cartridge back to the shop where I bought it, There Is No Game! I said, they only cared about it working, I did not get my money back.
They were obliged to refund you, you realise?
Depends on where you live.
I know the UK has the idea that items not fit for purpose need to be refunded.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

It does not unfortunately extend to a "game" being so badly made that there is no point, or fun in playing it. It did what the manufacturers intended it to do... get £40 out of my wallet.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Now I see what you mean. "There is no game" implies there was no game, not that there was a game you didn't find fun. That said, the goods are assumed to be "as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose". Satisfactory quality is heavily subjective.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I can't remember its name, it was a beat em up released around the same time as Mortal Combat, so it's not like they didn't know how it's supposed to be done. They just failed to develop the game into something worth playing before deciding to sell it anyway.
Sort of the same reason were all here now really :) "Time to market" was the management lingo, far more critical than product quality...

Hmm, that's done it... now I am going to have to go and play The Greatest Game Of all Time again. Star Control 1...If only there was just one person left who could stand against me!
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

DeusExCeteri wrote:Oh please, you mean to tell me that with games like Air Control, Starforge, and Minecraft Knockoff #487 that the quality of games on Steam is decreasing? That's absurd, you're seeing things, as if a huge influx of games with minimal quality control could ever cause the gaming market to crash, hah, that's ridiculous and certainly hasn't happened at any point in recent history, you're making that up.
Perhaps it is time you learn the difference between an opinion being expressed and a statement being made. Like how I expressed an opinion and receive an ignorant statement from your end.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I reiterate:
AHadley wrote:Image
DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Post by DeusExCeteri »

LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

not only is it free...but they are giving away money to anyone using it. :roll:

were going to attend the Hourences Convention and see what they have to say about UE4.x
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

As a UE4 developer I would like to know where you got that. If you mean the development grants, that's something else entirely - they're not giving money away and it's not to anybody using UE4.

4.7 is one of the best game design tools I have ever used. Period. Definitely worth looking into.