RTS Games, and the RTS's I own.

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Sabre Tank
Thunderbolt

RTS Games, and the RTS's I own.

Post by Sabre Tank »

I figured we needed a topic that covered the whole RTS genre, so here.
Anyways, I love RTS games, however I only own a few. The RTS games I DO own are (not counting Battlezone II):

HALO WARS

Oh man, this game is a great addition to the whole Halo series. I figured it would happen sometime, and I was happy to see that they finally made an RTS out of one of the greatest first person shooters of our time. The only thing I don't like is that it wasn't actually made by Bungie. The Deathmatch mode is really fun, as I like fast paced games, but dang, it's difficult. The Deathmatch is difficult, and the whole game CAN be difficult, but if you do things right it will be easy from there. Wherever "there" is.

SUPREME COMMANDER 2

I picked this one up randomly from Gamestop, and I have to say that I am not disappointed. Each of the factions are VERY cool, and the Aeon Illuminate are my favorite. Also sort of like in Battlezone II, you capture these things called "Mass Extractors" in order to gain resources, and seeing as I am a resource junkie (I love grabbin' a ton of resources) I get a lot easily, because there are usually a TON of these things on the map. It's also a fairly easy game as well, but I haven't went very much into the story line yet. Skirmish is always a great time killer in this game.

UNIVERSE AT WAR

I picked this one up randomly as well, because I thought the case looked really awesome and stuff, and the back looked promising. I wasn't wrong. This game impressed me very much so with the opening cutscene. It's like an action sci-fi alien apocalypse movie all in like, 5 minutes. It's awesome. The races are very awesome as well, however there is no human faction. We are simply the weak, feeble bystanders that watch as 3 alien races duke it out on our planet. One race is fighting to exterminate humans, the other to protect us humans, and the third just mysteriously came from under ground. Each of the factions are VERY unique. So unique in fact, that you can't use a single strategy for all of them. I mean, the Hierarchy (aliens that want to kill us) their "base" is mainly composed of 3 gigantic walkers that you can customize with all kinds of weaponry and bonus equipment. It's a pretty in depth game. If you looking for a simple RTS game, look elsewhere. Like Halo Wars.

GOBLIN COMMANDER

Yeah yeah, I know. OLD GAME. It's for the Xbox. Yes, the XBOX. It's a really simple RTS. There are (I think) 5 or 6 different goblin races, each with a unique style and forms of combat. I don't think it was all too popular, but it's worth a play.

WARCRAFT III

Yeah, I know, "Pfft, Warcraft?" Not the online game, that game sucks. The RTS game is very good. VERY good indeed. I suppose it was worth the 40 bucks I payed for it. It was like, the complete battle chest or something. Anyways, same old same old unique factions and whatnot, but it's a very awesome game. However, it is VERY hard. It will take you a while until you get used to the massive attacks on your base when you're still in the process of getting things up and running. I don't know if it's just me, but it's still pretty difficult. Even on easy. I dare not to try it on Expert. Or Insane or whatever it's called.

So there you have it, my RTS games and what I think about them.So now, tell me this:
What RTS games do you own?
What's your favorite?
And do you have/have played any of the games I own?
Zero Angel
Attila

Re: RTS Games, and the RTS's I own.

Post by Zero Angel »

Well. I hope you will forgive my use of TBS as well. But these are all the strategy games I own or have owned that are worthy of mention.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

A Turn Based Strategy game. Its based around the same mechanics of the Civ games but took place in space where the humans have colonized a distant planet. Your goals are to develop from a few basic technologies that were stored in your landing capsules, and your upgrade paths eventually allow you to develop A.I., Planet Buster (ie: nukes), Advanced warships, Mind/Machine interfaces and a lot of really sci-fi stuff. There's a lot of depth to the gameplay mechanic, and while an old-school game it offers things that no modern TBS have. The best TBS I ever played.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI

Another TBS. Set in place during the three kingdoms/warring states period of ancient China. You manage cities, build weapons and tools, manage supply, and appoint your various offers as prefects, strategists and military commanders. Your upgrade paths allow you to have elite cavalry, powerful seige units, ability to develop strong fortresses, and more. You can launch plots to get enemy officers to defect to your army and nations to go to war against each other. Unlike most strategy games, the game centers around the dozens of historical officers of the three kingdoms period, each one with their own unique stats and special abilities. The game play is very deep and sometimes you feel like there's too many things to pay attention to, but it is rewarding if you like games with very complicated gameplay mechanics and are not put off by its often slow pace.

Rise of Nations

An RTS in the same vein as Age of Empires (also from the same creator). Except that while you start out in the dark ages, you have the ability to advance to the modern ages with everything that applies. You can eventually build things like Aircraft Carriers, bombers, rocket artillery, and even nukes. And rather than building one base, and killing the other base, you can take cities and expand your territory lines. The gameplay mechanic is much deeper than the AoE or Warcraft series as you can suffer attrition damage when intruding into enemy territory without a supply train, build wonders like the Statue of Liberty and Space Program to grant abilities such as higher resource income, reduced attrition damage, global line of sight bonuses and things like that. Many annoying aspects of RTS games (like managing idle villagers) are gone here, as the game engine is very advanced.

Company of Heroes

My current favorite game. It's an RTS game set in World War 2. I don't think my words can do it justice but you fight as either the Americans or Germans and can fight some of the most intense battles of WW2 such as storming Omaha beach or fighting in cities, on plains and in forests. You can mine roads and lay wire. Call in bombing runs or just lay waste to your enemy with an army of tanks. You can put MG teams in houses and call for off map artillery to devastate the enemy army. The action here is always fast and furious, and while it's easy to get into there is a tremendous amount of depth to the game that it will take years for you to learn all of the possible strategies and tricks.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

I've heard Halo Wars is good. :D
Although, the only RTS games I have are BZ2, BZ1, and RO.
My dad's thinking about getting Army Men RTS.
Is it any good?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Battlezone 1, with both expansions

Battlezone 2

Lego Rock Raiders - Had this years, I think it was my first top-down strategy... of sorts. Not played it in years either, but I recently discovered it's got a modding community :S. Interestingly, it's inspired some of my recent BZ work.

O.R.B. - Two alien races who grew up in the same star system discovering each other, as their planets orbit on opposite sides of the same star. It's got a massive story and as far as I remember it's utterly fantastic.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 - Birthday present from years and years ago - I never seem to throw games away :/

Star Wars: Empire at War

Dawn of War - used to be a Warhammer nut, now it's my brother. Games are still fun now and again, though.
sabrebattletank
Thunderbolt

Post by sabrebattletank »

Wait, you mean somebody else knows Coblin Commander exists!!?! I used to play that one Gabecube all the time.

Rise of Nations, Civ 4. RC Tycoon.

Oregon Trail / Amazon Trail.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

My top RTS is BZ1. By no means the best RTS avaliable. However adding the FPS component easily puts it at the top of my list.

Next I would say Homeworld 2. If HW2 had included a controllable FPV and the community had survived, I'm sure I would be there now and have forgotten BZ. It's community numbers is about like BZ's. About 20 hold outs who love modding the game.

Third would be a cross between Company of Heroes and Rome:Total War.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

BZ1, of course....and TRO.

I played all manner of Civ for a looong time. Started with Civ1. Civ 5 was disappointing. Pretty, but disappointing. I think I was hooked most on Civ2 MGE. I made a crapload of mods for it, played it online, played it into the ground. Still have it, too.

I liked homeworld2 and galactic civ, as well.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Aah, a Civ fan... were any of the soundtracks ever released?
Sabre Tank
Thunderbolt

Post by Sabre Tank »

sabrebattletank wrote:Wait, you mean somebody else knows Coblin Commander exists!!?! I used to play that one Gabecube all the time.
Haha, yeah. Goblin Commander is pretty fun, I used to do 2 player with my little brother all the time.