Overated

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

rice303
Rattler

Overated

Post by rice303 »

After looking on many websites and playing some new games I reckon that most games around seem much too overated by critcs and by the overall public I try not to be that critical when it comes to playing a new game but games like portal 2 which uses a engine that definatly shows its age and is as hard as trying to bust a rock open get so much acclaim and many people follow and don't really care about there overall feelings of the games or their stories. One of the things I hate about modern gaming is not just the amount of glitches companys are allowed to use without getting critisim but the fact that people don't give a crap about the stories. To put a long story short this post is where everyone lists their most overated games.

This is mine.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/grand-theft-auto-iv

RIP good gaming.
Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Overated

Post by Ded10c »

Portal 2 is far from overrated. Source is, and remains, a beautiful game engine - it's constantly evolving. Admittedly, some look better, but if you want good graphics, watch a film.
SkyNET
Drunken Constructor

Post by SkyNET »

I don't care about story. Games are for fun, and Portal 2 is excellent.

There will be some good games again, but the era of Doom, Duke3d, C&C and so on has passed simply because those games were already made :P

There's alway the Half-life series if you like games with good gameplay and a decent story. If you prefer something older, try Deus Ex or the first System Shock, but be prepared for a hard game.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

SkyNET wrote:I don't care about story. Games are for fun, and Portal 2 is excellent.

There will be some good games again, but the era of Doom, Duke3d, C&C and so on has passed simply because those games were already made :P
Pretty much that. I can still remember playing homeworld and not following the story the first time playing through the campaign, it was the 48 times I played it after that that I payed attention to the storyline, in detail.

If that gameplay doesnt appeal to me I'll never get into the story-part of a game, I just dont care, it a bonus to the game, not the main thing.

Cant help feel that 99% of current games are mostly about graphics/story/options proveded, than actual (stable), original gameplay.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

If you think that Portal 2 is overrated, you haven't played for very long.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

I always love the discrepancy in ratings between "critics" and actual players.
Critics likely have to stay positive to keep getting those free copies mailed to them in order to review.

GTA IV was ok. I loved the sandbox aspect, but that actually kept me from finishing it.
Other RockStar games are better. I loved Red Dead Redemption and finished it in a weekend. I've just started playing L.A. Noire and while it doesn't exactly bring a whole new level of graphics, the storyline is better than GTA IV (not saying much, I know, but it's definitely more fun) and the facial capture and rendering is insane. Doesn't, however, match up with the body movements or rendering though.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

If you like L.A. Noire, you'd like Mafia II.

From looking at the reviews, L.A. has a bit better facial belief than MII, almost climbing out of the Uncanny Valley. However, MII has better overall graphics.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Heh, something I didn't notice when I posted in here:

There is a section of the forum for games other than BZ2. Please remember next time to use it, instead of just putting it in the Off Topic board. It saves the staff some time.
rice303
Rattler

Post by rice303 »

I actually passed portal 2 and thought it was'st that good I found the gameplay aspect ok but I reckon that after a while it either become too hard or too repetitive.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Actually, I found portal 2 too easy if anything. Also, pay attention to the storyline. That's one of its best points. Especially with the two mind***ks at the end - but you've got to figure both out for yourself.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

rice303 wrote:games like portal 2 which uses a engine that definatly shows its age
This has got to be the 50th time I have heard this un-researched bullshit. Normally people have some sort of claims like 'the engine video was pre-rendered because the engine couldn't do that' or some such. The truth is that the engine has kept up very well and in fact is TOO powerful for the damn console version they did for Portal 2. They had to code in such a massive range of performance variability I can actually play Portal 2 on my PC that is BELOW min spec and it plays smoothly. It looks like any other older source game, but note this is at the minimal quality. I have checked on modern machines and even the PS3 and found the quality of the engine massively better. The engine is graphically even more powerful on the PC than the console. And when it comes to the engine itself, it has undergone MASSIVE improvements since Left 4 Dead was first released. As a result of engine bending games such as Portal and Left 4 Dead, the engine has gained massive amounts of new features and power, as shown in... Portal 2. The truth about the ending video in the outlined example was that while the engine could do it, the system playing it probably could not handle it.

I get REALLY annoyed when anyone says something so patently untrue and baseless. And I mean anything, political, technological, or otherwise.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:If you like L.A. Noire, you'd like Mafia II.

From looking at the reviews, L.A. has a bit better facial belief than MII, almost climbing out of the Uncanny Valley. However, MII has better overall graphics.
I've heard Mafia II is good, but haven't tried it.
The advanced facial detail is necessary for reading people you are interviewing so you can judge whether or not they are hiding something.

Overall, the graphics haven't changed since GTAIV or RDR, except for faces. The gameplay is what makes it a fun game.
rice303
Rattler

Post by rice303 »

Does anyone here at least think halo 1 on Pc is overated because I hate the framerates and annoying compatibility
I also played mafia 2 and believe it was a good but often flawed and hard experiance.

Movies which are also overated can be posted here and my most overated movie is UP because it was not like other pixar movies it made pixar look poor and also did not live up to the reputation of the incredibles.

Most underated game and movies Tekken (movie) equilibrium, legendary (game) I am number four and eagle eye.
rice303
Rattler

Post by rice303 »

VSMIT wrote:Heh, something I didn't notice when I posted in here:

There is a section of the forum for games other than BZ2. Please remember next time to use it, instead of just putting it in the Off Topic board. It saves the staff some time.
Acually this about ANYTHING that was overated which is why I put it in the off topic board
;)
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Halo 1 on PC? The entire Halo series is overrated from what I can see.