19 Days until Duke is out of the box

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

rice303
Rattler

19 Days until Duke is out of the box

Post by rice303 »

A little under Twenty days and Duke nukem forever is released and I was wondering if anyone else has the originals or if anyone had ever liked Duke Nukem. I currently have every Duke Except Duke Nukem Advanced and Land Of The Babes.

Otherwise I love Total meltdown and 3d More then ever right now.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: 19 Days until Duke is out of the box

Post by MrTwosheds »

I loved the original, it was the second game I ever played on a LAN with one of my mates.
I have grown OLD waiting for Forever. Not even sure I can be bothered with it now.
PowerB
Rattler

Post by PowerB »

"Its time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, but I'm all out of gum!"
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

"That Sucks!"
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

"Get back to work, you slacker!"
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Just played the demo. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Kate: "What about the game, Duke? Was it good?"

Duke: "After twelve years, it better be!"
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

412 days, 05 hours, and 35 mins from this post until The Dark Knight Rises is released.

HA! Got you beat! :)
Ghastly
Sober Scav

Post by Ghastly »

Honestly, it seems like it's taking a lot of its mechanics from Halo (regenerating "health," two-weapons-only and grenades [pipe bombs], things like that). While there's nothing wrong with that exactly, it's veering drastically away from what made Duke Nukem 3D so fun.

I miss the old arcade-y FPS games, like Doom 2, Quake 1 and Heretic (and even Quake 2, though the seemingly-random maps were more fun to me :P), and personally can't wait 'til the industry gets back to that. Meanwhile, I'm just glad people are still making Doom 2 map packs. :P
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I need someone to convince me to buy it. What's it got, apart from the babe's and the one liners, that makes it different from any other fps game?
My guess is that it will suffer from excessive detail and effects (like most games now) and you will find yourself set against 1 or 2 enemy's most of the time (or have your framerate crushed), rather than the hordes possible in the original. This was doom3's problem, I don't want to admire the detail in one pigcops face as I struggle to point a gun at him, I want to have to figure out how I am going to kill 20 of em in one go. The web site is not encouraging, the streamed movie stuttered so much I had to keep rewinding just to understand it and the flash effects just reminded me of a game running really badly...
Less beauty and more beasts please. And no I am not going out to buy the latest and fastest super computer to run it on...
Ghastly
Sober Scav

Post by Ghastly »

MrTwosheds wrote:My guess is that it will suffer from excessive detail and effects (like most games now) and you will find yourself set against 1 or 2 enemy's most of the time (or have your framerate crushed), rather than the hordes possible in the original. This was doom3's problem, I don't want to admire the detail in one pigcops face as I struggle to point a gun at him, I want to have to figure out how I am going to kill 20 of em in one go.
TotalBiscuit, the Starcraft 2 commentator, recently played through the whole DNF demo in his "WTF is" series (showing new indie or popular games coming out). It looks like it's more like Quake 4 than Doom 3 with regard to monster count. Remember, it's using the Unreal 3 engine, which Bulletstorm and Singularity use, so I don't think you'll have a problem with monster count.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Didn't even realise there was a quake 4... all this time travel I get so confused. Maybe I have played it, or maybe I will have some time ago soon ;)
rice303
Rattler

Post by rice303 »

7 Days left I can't wait to "shake it baby"
rice303
Rattler

Post by rice303 »

DNF has now been released and it has'nt been met with good replys.

http://www.xboxgaming.co.za/news/duke-n ... -round-up/

Lets just hope it can still provide some good ass-kicking.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Every game review site I look at is saying it is ABYSMAL. . worst than sucks.

That it will be buried at the bottom of the bargain bins in a couple weeks.

* Gamespot: "The bland and ugly Duke Nukem Forever turns a famous gaming icon into an embarrassment. Long, boring platforming and driving sections, The shooting lacks impact, Ugly visuals and jerky frame rates, Short levels separated by long loading screens. Fails to be shocking, sexy, or funny. Multiplay is an exercise in lag."
* Eurogamer: "Despite the legendary length of time it has spent in production, Duke Nukem Forever feels terminally unpolished and often unfinished in too many key disciplines to be given a passing grade." – 3/10
* Joystiq: "DNF remains a sort of relic - a reminder of how things used to be and how, thankfully, the genre and the people who enjoy it have grown up and moved on." – 2/5
* IGN: "Duke Nukem Forever isn't a revitalization of the early days of the first-person shooter genre or a middle-finger to the increasingly complex and sophisticated nature of videogame entertainment. It's a muddled, hypocritical exercise in irritation with solid shooting mechanics and decent encounter design." – 5.5/10
* Guardian: "If this was 15 years in the making, it makes you wonder what they did for the other 14 years and 10 months." – 2/5
* D-Pad Magazine: "Duke Nukem Forever is a strange enough novelty all on its own, but when all is said and done, it is a vastly aged shooter that is left trailing in the dust of its modern contemporaries." – 2/5
* Metacritic: 54/100
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Doesn't seem abysmal to me.