how you make model

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Feenix

Re: how you make model

Post by Feenix »

VSMIT wrote:Or, he could learn Gmax. Or any number of other free modeling platforms available.
GMAX, is a bad idea he's better off getting 3D MAX instead. Why GMAX is still pushed has me as baffled as to why Truespace is not. Blender would be a better choice then GMAX. In fact any other 3D modeling software would be a better choice then GMAX. I wasted a lot of valuable modeling time with GMAX which wasn't really designed for BZII model making in the first place. The MD3 exporter can't even export usable animation which I'm guessing he'll eventually want to create for BZII. Shame on you bro for even recommending it to a newby modeler.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Are you stupid?

All I'm doing is offering another alternative. I didn't know that was against some law in "Somewhere in Texas." There is NO program that was "designed for BZII model making," and we all have to do something to get around that fact.

P.S.: Oh, by the way, I started on GMAX. I liked the interface. That's what drove me to get the full version of Max.

P.P.S.: I tried Gamespace Lite, then Truespace, the first time you tried pushing it on the community. For me, Blender has a more intuitive interface. Everyone will perceive it differently. Don't discount something for someone else simply because you didn't like it.
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

VSMIT wrote:Are you stupid?

All I'm doing is offering another alternative. I didn't know that was against some law in "Somewhere in Texas." There is NO program that was "designed for BZII model making," and we all have to do something to get around that fact.

P.S.: Oh, by the way, I started on GMAX. I liked the interface. That's what drove me to get the full version of Max.

P.P.S.: I tried Gamespace Lite, then Truespace, the first time you tried pushing it on the community. For me, Blender has a more intuitive interface. Everyone will perceive it differently. Don't discount something for someone else simply because you didn't like it.
There's no need to get pissed bro I just think GMAX is a waste of time he's better off getting 3D MAX if he's really serious about making models and props for BZII.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Except that 3DS Max costs about $3000 and GMAX is free. I think that's worth jumping through a few hoops to get a model into BZ2.
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

VSMIT wrote:Except that 3DS Max costs about $3000 and GMAX is free. I think that's worth jumping through a few hoops to get a model into BZ2.
As I mentioned GMAX is a waste of time for BZII models. If it weren't you'd probably still be using it right? Truespace and Blender as well as several other free 3D modeling softwares are a better choice then GMAX for a newby modeler.

Again, the GMAX push is an old one it's like when I used to try to push Gamespace Lite. I stopped pushing it when Truespace 7.6 came along which BTW is 10 times easier to learn and use then either GMAX or 3D MAX put together. I don't really push Truespace anymore and instead just mention it as a viable model making software that's well suited enough to actually get BZII models in to the game with animation support. BTW, if GMAX really worked I too would still be using it.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

You know, there's bound to be a reason somewhere that almost all of our best modellers use 3DS Max... I don't think it's the price tag.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

BNG, do you realize that the GMAX interface is just like the 3DS Max interface?

Hmm... There must be some correlation there.
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

Feenix wrote:
VSMIT wrote:Except that 3DS Max costs about $3000 and GMAX is free. I think that's worth jumping through a few hoops to get a model into BZ2.
As I mentioned GMAX is a waste of time for BZII models. If it weren't you'd probably still be using it right?
I'm a GMAX turned 3DS Max user, GMAX is definitely not a waste of time. It's exactly the same as 3DS Max, minus most of the modifiers and a tool here or there. I'm not entirely sure why you think that's worth saying "DEFINITELY DO NOT GO GET THIS SOFTWARE".
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Shadow Knight wrote:I'm not entirely sure why you think that's worth saying "DEFINITELY DO NOT GO GET THIS SOFTWARE".
Because if you get GMAX you are not getting his favorite software, and how can he get any help and support if no one but he uses said software.

GMAX is very good. It has lots of mod-packs that add more formats, so there are a great many conversion paths.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

Can the 3ds max battlezone xsi plugin work in gmax?
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Or he can make a single post, never to be heard of again, thus nullifying the point of the thread.
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

Clavin12 wrote:Can the 3ds max battlezone xsi plugin work in gmax?
GMAX, is a stripped down version of 3D MAX and no the MAX XSI plugin won't work with it.

GMAX, was designed as a modeling tool for specific videogames using game packs; BZII not being one of them. GMAX, can stand on it's own merits as an excellent model making tool; just not for BZII usage. That's my point though when other people compare GMAX with 3D MAX is that the 2 modelers while very similar in operational features are very different in relation to model making and BZII model making.

My favorite modeling software has nothing to do with my comments about GMAX and it's ability to produce models for BZII. Blender, is a better modeling software then GMAX because it supports several convertible modeling formats like 3DS, OBJ, COB, LWO, etc; which by my informationusing GMAX and it's MD3 exporter and possibly the GMAX MDL gamepack which can simultaneously export an X model along with the base MDL model. The MD3 exporter won't produce an animated XSI model somewhat limiting it's usefulness for BZII. The X/MDL model exporter I never tested with animation, so i don't really know except that it might work as it's a text based X format that 3DEX can convert if a top level frame is added to the model using the save as X again feature and then that X model converted to XSI.

I would however recomend that he download GMAX as it may eventually be removed by Autodesk or whomever controls it's distribution; it can still be useful for other videogames like C&C Renegade, MS Flight Simulator, Never Winter Nights, and several other game titles. Again, BZII is not one of them. He'd be better off spending the bucks for 3D MAX as far as BZII is concerned. BTW, isn't the MD3 exporter a Doom format? Thanks.

Why people still advocate the use of GMAX when other better alternatives exists is a big mystery to me and others who has chosen and actually use these alternative modeling softwares. BTW, GMAX rocks just not for Battlezone II Combat Commander. Again, if it were of any real value for BZII I would, repeat, would still be using now.
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

Just in case some of you doubt Truespace's potential check out this TS model of the C-130.

I didn't make the model but someday I will make some just as detailed. Those interested in Truespace can check out this Truespace forum. United 3D Artists. The posters there are pretty helpful to other 3D model makers and it has topics covering other modeling software like Blender. :mrgreen:
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

Why do you keep plugging TS when nobody here has shown the least bit of interest in it, despite you naming it specifically in just about every post you make, even on the old forums? Nobody's doubting truespace's capabilities as a modeling program, it's just that, get this, nobody cares.
That's my point though when other people compare GMAX with 3D MAX is that the 2 modelers while very similar in operational features are very different in relation to model making and BZII model making.
Nope. They're exactly the same. The only difference is the conversion that happens afterwards, which even doesn't need to be mentioned if you export as obj. But don't let simple facts get in the way of your fanboy plugging.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Shadow Knight wrote:Why do you keep plugging TS when nobody here has shown the least bit of interest in it, despite you naming it specifically in just about every post you make, even on the old forums? Nobody's doubting truespace's capabilities as a modeling program, it's just that, get this, nobody cares.
That's my point though when other people compare GMAX with 3D MAX is that the 2 modelers while very similar in operational features are very different in relation to model making and BZII model making.
Nope. They're exactly the same. The only difference is the conversion that happens afterwards, which even doesn't need to be mentioned if you export as obj. But don't let simple facts get in the way of your fanboy plugging.
Exactly the same? Why would anyone be using MAX if GMAX was so useful for BZII?? They're still different enough bro where BZII is concerned. Plugging TS? Truespace, is a way better choice then MAX in several ways including cost. How's that for a plug? TS, is a speed modeler. I'll bet TS can run circles around both GMAX and MAX in terms of getting models created in less time with less complexity even by people who never touched a 3D modeling software before. MAX, is over rated for a game like BZII, and people who buy it soley for BZII model creation paid way too much for the priviledge. But hey, everybody is in entitled to their own opinion right? :mrgreen: