Skinning... Tutorials?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

DarkCobra262
Sabre

Skinning... Tutorials?

Post by DarkCobra262 »

Anyone know of any place to learn how to make 3d model skins/textures? Wanting a custom texture for this thing:

EDIT - just a question, wouldn't hiding the model, and have the pieces separate in wireframe made, then print screen, and paste to say, a transparent background work?
Last edited by DarkCobra262 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modding/Modelling like a noob...
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Skinning... Tutorials?

Post by General BlackDragon »

BNG should make some things like that :D
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
DarkCobra262
Sabre

Post by DarkCobra262 »

GBD told me about a "texporter"... and I suppose I'll mess around with that, lol, go ahead and remove this thread or somethin :lol:
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

If you dig around on bzscrap, you will probably find Lithunwrap, this free unwrapping program has one feature I still have not found in 3dsmax7. The ability to export a .bmp of the UVmapping lines. Once you have this, making a skin becomes a bit easier.

That barrel is Illegal in bz2.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
jaydenbz2
Thunderbolt

Post by jaydenbz2 »

If 3ds max was used, this tutorial may help you:
http://www.bzcommand.com/forum/index.php?topic=65.0

EDIT: Rendering UWV templates into line form was a feature added to max 8, therefore the only option within max is to use Texporter http://www.cuneytozdas.com/software/3dsmax/#Texporter

Hope this helps.

-jayden
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

MrTwosheds wrote:If you dig around on bzscrap, you will probably find Lithunwrap, this free unwrapping program has one feature I still have not found in 3dsmax7. The ability to export a .bmp of the UVmapping lines. Once you have this, making a skin becomes a bit easier.

That barrel is Illegal in bz2.
That is what Texporter does.

It exports a bmp of the UVMAP wireframe.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

General BlackDragon wrote:That is what Texporter does.

It exports a bmp of the UVMAP wireframe.
My 3DS max comes with that functionality without an external plugin...
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

Blender also has the ability to save the UV face layout as a TGA file.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Anyway, the reason no bz2 models have a nice big barrel like that, is because of collisions, the turret is included in the geometry when the units collision sphere is calculated. So if you imagine the turret turned sideways with another barrel sticking out the opposite way, that is how wide your collision will be. Your tank will not be able to drive between buildings. Design a nice stubby barrel that makes up for with style what it lacks in length. 8-)
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Textures are really hard to do right and get them lined up correctly. Unfortunately I suck at texturing. One way to give them a shot is to convert the XSI models to a format that you can import in to your own modeling software. I use the X format because it very similar to the XSI format. Tell us about your modeling software and maybe we can help get you started.
jaydenbz2
Thunderbolt

Post by jaydenbz2 »

Nielk, your 3ds max is what 9? The ability to render an image from UV-space was implemented in 8.. :P

Also, if the model is clean I can UV it properly for you, as well as make a .psd with a texture template, like a basic metal vehicle layout for the .psd assuming you have photoshop?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Gimp can open psd too, It just lacks the wide range of quality plugins etc that photoshop has.
DarkCobra262
Sabre

Post by DarkCobra262 »

I said at one point that I was using 3ds Max 2010 32-bit. Meh, it's not like I'll release any mod, most of my models look kinda crappy anyway :P, texturing/skinning has always been an issue for me... but I suppose it'll be something I can learn... I suppose to be more of a "Jack of all trades"... I found a texporter for max 2010 so, I guess all I have to do now is fix the uvs... and take the time to piece together a better skin and what not... and I like the barrel, it's not like im going to release that tank or anything I make anyway, thanks tho, all, appreciate it.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Tries Textporter for max7...goes back to exporting a 3ds of the model and using lithunwrap to create a .bmp of all the models components. :)
Echo 343
Rattler

Post by Echo 343 »

DarkCobra262 wrote:I said at one point that I was using 3ds Max 2010 32-bit. Meh, it's not like I'll release any mod, most of my models look kinda crappy anyway :P, texturing/skinning has always been an issue for me... but I suppose it'll be something I can learn... I suppose to be more of a "Jack of all trades"... I found a texporter for max 2010 so, I guess all I have to do now is fix the uvs... and take the time to piece together a better skin and what not... and I like the barrel, it's not like im going to release that tank or anything I make anyway, thanks tho, all, appreciate it.
Don't be so down on yourself. Its one thing to be humble,but entirely another to be negative. Motivation seems to be the issue when it comes to modding. If you don't see the positive in things, you won't want to continue. Persevere.
:.Lingering Echo.: