A small(ish) but hopefully pleasing announcement...

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Dianoga
Rattler

Re: A small(ish) but hopefully pleasing announcement...

Post by Dianoga »

Looking really good man, keep it up!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Looks like an assaultHover class to me, they do the artillery role ok. Just make sure its nice and stable if you do that.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

^ I agree on the Hover Assault Class. Think I'm going to scrap the guns/side cannons, and have the main cannon fire Assault Mortars and Combat Cannon (Thinking Pulse Stab). I'll make a decision later once it's actually in game.

Without further ado, the finished mesh! (minus potential guns). Dead chuffed with this one. I've had an idea stuck in my head for this unit for ages, it's quite a feeling of achievement when you model it and it comes out better than you expected.

Developer @ Stormtide
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2350#p40547 << My UE4 Battlezone Project

ModDB - Battlezone II Unofficial Expansion Pack
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Nice looking vehicle TJ, I do think you might be making it a bit overpowered when I see what you intend to slap on it in the form of weaponry .. or the unit must be armor 'N' and have a hull as weak as that of a scout ...
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

its an artillary tank...

Mortars FTW!
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

General BlackDragon wrote:its an artillary tank...
And its going to cost 180 scrap to balance it in respect to all the other units? ;)
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Red Spot wrote:
And its going to cost 180 scrap to balance it in respect to all the other units? ;)
No but it will jam every other shot.
◥▶◀◤ row row, fight the powuh
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Red Spot wrote:
Lol, If I wanted to reinvent X-Mod I'd have done it by now. It currently seems to slot in nicely next to the Rocket Tank and Assault Tank, but all the races are getting a bit of an overhaul anyway. I've managed to talk N0sTr0m0 into (hopefully) providing some more higher-detail models too, even for the Scion. Looking forward to seeing how they'll turn out.

The original plan for the full scale mod was to balance the races into 2/3 tiers, not only to stay canon with the story but also because achieving balance between 6/7 major races is never going to happen in this lifetime. Creating them is hard enough as is. Serenese/AAN/Black Cerberi would be at the top, followed by the Scion, Hadean, Pathans, New Olympians, then down to the puny races. Maybe when three or four of the core races are done I'll force myself to push on with the others as well. I'm just going to keep going until I really lose my Mojo and make something rad with whatever I have at the time.

I settled on weaponry in the end. Assault Mortar for range, Combat Mortar which is locked to a flak cannon for AA, and twin Photon Torpedo's on the skirt. It's massively in-effective in any form of dogfighting at the moment. We'll see what happens.
Developer @ Stormtide

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

You're forgetting something important.

Weapons all face the turret in 1.3

1.2 could have seperate, forward only weapons on turreted ships. Not anymore, doesn't work IIRC, unless shot convergence can turn it off?

But, in my tests, the laser pointer rotated the same way the turret faced.

Random plug: Somebody go find BBB.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Correct, convergence doesn't turn it off either, just the way it is unfortunately. I have a couple of units who suffer because of it already, but the way the (new) Photon Torpedo's fire makes it hard to notice, so it's not TOO bad.

The older Panther Attack Tank has the same turret/independent weapon layout.
Developer @ Stormtide

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

General BlackDragon wrote:You're forgetting something important.

Weapons all face the turret in 1.3

1.2 could have seperate, forward only weapons on turreted ships. Not anymore, doesn't work IIRC, unless shot convergence can turn it off?

But, in my tests, the laser pointer rotated the same way the turret faced.

Random plug: Somebody go find BBB.

Uhh, isn't there a toggle fgor that. I mean, FFS, check my ATV that had the eyepoint locked forward and the turret not. It worked with the right ODF toggle.

Does no one even remember how to mod anymore?
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Nielk1 wrote: Uhh, isn't there a toggle fgor that. I mean, FFS, check my ATV that had the eyepoint locked forward and the turret not. It worked with the right ODF toggle.
Does no one even remember how to mod anymore?
That's not the problem, the problem is keeping weapons facing forward, when the eye-point doesn't. Not the other way around. Weapon HP's always follow the eyepoint around, weapon convergence doesn't toggle it, Convergence only affects the HP's rotation towards a targeted unit.
Developer @ Stormtide

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Ill have to say it, if you have a turret you want the guns attached to it, having them stuck pointing forward on the body of an assault hover is completely useless and would drive you nuts if you tried to fight with it, you would end up not knowing which way you were going and which way your shooting. Having roll on a turreted vehicle is bad enough, add having guns that point in different directions and you'll just have a ship nobody wants to drive.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

MrTwosheds wrote:Ill have to say it, if you have a turret you want the guns attached to it, having them stuck pointing forward on the body of an assault hover is completely useless and would drive you nuts if you tried to fight with it, you would end up not knowing which way you were going and which way your shooting. Having roll on a turreted vehicle is bad enough, add having guns that point in different directions and you'll just have a ship nobody wants to drive.
Shift + F2 view will allow you to follow the turret around, but I see your point.

Seeing as the unit probably won't be snipe-able (easy target), I'll probably just stick the eye-point on the turret instead of in the cockpit so you follow the turret location in First-Person view as well as exterior views. I've just finished the Anti-Air weapon for it (FX wise), and to be honest, it's hard trying to attack Archers or any air unit if you're constantly facing forwards. Side note, I also just figured out that the draw_twirl_trail render base is NOT affected by particle culling. Originally the flak smoke was being culled as more ordnance exploded, but using draw_twirl_trail and a special emitter allows BZ2 to draw a lot more of them. Handy tip for any effects guru's out there.

Also, took me ages to figure out that ONLY SupportProcess AI name's actually engage air units automatically, no matter what the attack/subattack task. The AI behaves quite nicely now though. When you order it to attack something, it will behave like artillery (aiming high, and using the mortar). In sub-attack mode it will engage air units as they come into range. AI units don't use the Photon Torpedo's at the moment, which I kind of like. BTW, people need to stop worrying. The idea of Serenesis wasn't to just drop a load of extra pointless units into the current races, rename them and give them a lick of paint/tarting up. All races involved will be very different, some units probably won't make it back at all. It's a new mod, close to a total conversion, so It's worth forgetting the ISDF/Scion etc. as you know it. It's intended to be new and different, not just a re-hashed FE or something.

Video of the Flak Cannon weapon. Exactly the sort of effect I wanted, so once again, chuffed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R19Gdsqzh3k
Developer @ Stormtide

Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

that looks pretty darn cool
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA