1.3 Modding

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Monkey Shine
Drunken Scav

1.3 Modding

Post by Monkey Shine »

Sorry to be such a noob but i have tried long and hard to mod 1.3.6.2 and have still cant import my custom models into the game.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: 1.3 Modding

Post by MrTwosheds »

What modeling program are you using?
If you tell us what you are doing we can tell you where your going wrong, If you don't tell us anything, we can only guess.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Monkey Shine
Drunken Scav

Post by Monkey Shine »

Alright. Lets say i wanted to change the colour of spstab. However there is no odf files for any of the weapons.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Yes there are. Sure your looking in the right place?
All the original odf's are in data.pak.
All those changed in 1.3 are in patch13.pak
Monkey Shine
Drunken Scav

Post by Monkey Shine »

Wow i feel like an idiot. Still one problem you can probably fix. I can't edit and save the files in the pack archive without unpacking the whole thing. is there a proper way to do this. thanks
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

You extract the files you want, with a button at the top of pak explorer, do whatever you want to them and then put them in the addon folder to use them. You do not change, alter or re save the bz2 pak files in any way. You might want to pack your alterations up in a pak file of your own at some point for distribution, but bz2 will find and use them if they are in the Battlezone2/addon directory.
Monkey Shine
Drunken Scav

Post by Monkey Shine »

Thanks, that really cleared things up for me about 1.3. Just one more thing. It says that i have duplicate localize odf files but i cant seem to get rid of either of them without messing up the game.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Monkey Shine wrote:Wow i feel like an idiot. Still one problem you can probably fix. I can't edit and save the files in the pack archive without unpacking the whole thing. is there a proper way to do this. thanks
Yup, although saving any modified file with the same filename as an original file might cause 'bad assets' errors when attempting to join online games and you will be unable to play with people who have different assets than you do.

If you want to 'play around' with ODFs in a 'sandboxed' environment, there is a program that I maintain called the 'TVEditor'. Basically you can modify any assets you want and if you save them in your Battlezone II/TVEditor/Custom folder, you can experiment with them in the editor without risking bad assets in public games.

http://bz2maps.us/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3916

I am thinking of making an update to the TVEditor which will allow you to use those custom assets in the non-editor mode -- as a way for mod developers to quickly test assets with each other without having to set up a .cfg file and folder and create their own shortcut.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

If you have duplicate localize.odf files, then remove the newer one. Or to be extra safe, simply rename it 'localize-backup.odf' or something to that effect.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Monkey Shine
Drunken Scav

Post by Monkey Shine »

Thanks for the tips. To prevent bad assets i usually just make another install of Battlezone and play around with that. i tried renaming the newer localize but it just freezes at the loading dll screen.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

You likely messed with the one in the PAK and overwrote it somehow. Only way to fix that is to grab one off the CD.
◥▶◀◤ row row, fight the powuh
Monkey Shine
Drunken Scav

Post by Monkey Shine »

The problem is that the new localize file is linked to the pak files that i just extracted. The old one is linked to the assets in the game. Is there any way to merge them?
Monkey Shine
Drunken Scav

Post by Monkey Shine »

nvm. turned out that i was extracting the 1.2 pack files instead of 1.3. that was messing me up. thanks for all they help