QF2 Released

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Re: QF2 Released

Post by bigbadbogie »

I just thought that it would make it a more interesting and immersive experience - to actually hear the characters speak their lines rather than just reading them all.

There is only one 20 minute scene, and that's right near the end of the mod. There is a 15 minute scene after mission 5. Most don't exceed 10 minutes.

Remember, it can mostly be skipped. It's all just a bonus for people who are interested in the story. They can get instantly into the action (on most levels) by hitting the space-bar.

To be fair, I know that I went well and truly over-board with writing the dialogue. It's just such a deep and complicated story. It was hard not to.

If there's a next time, I'll cut down on it significantly and make it mostly in-game.
"You think that you can wipe out an entire civilisation without consequences?" - Rachel

http://www.moddb.com/mods/qf2-essence-to-a-thief
https://www.indiedb.com/games/husky-ashcon-i/
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

It's definitely worth doing. There are many times in the original games when a cutscene or audio log would have been better for both storytelling and immersion, but these would have been left out not for technical constraints and not only for time and budget issues, but for fear of harming the game's flow.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Post by bigbadbogie »

I guess that's the benefit of mods. They can tread where games cannot. Profit margins aren't an issue.

There are only a few times throughout QF2 that you can't skip audio scenes. Just the in-game ones.

Most of the time, players can get their psycho-killer battlezone-rampage fix without waiting an extra second.
"You think that you can wipe out an entire civilisation without consequences?" - Rachel

Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

It's more the fact that the story is only accessible in realtime that's the issue. Still, it's a minor gripe and we've already wasted a page of your release topic on it :P

EDIT: Okay. I've now played three more missions. I had some trouble getting the APCs to work in mission 3, and the music in mission 5 was loud enough to drown out the speech and wouldn't turn down. Also, how many of your failure conditions lead to everybody turning on the player?

EDIT 2: The 15-minute audio log is extremely difficult to follow, one of the reasons I said exposition works better in text than in audio. There are also contradictions with Fleshstorm on at least one count, probably two, and I really don't like the prison-universe-for-biometal concept or the biometal-is-a-single-entity concept (but personal taste rather than pointing out an error).

EDIT 3: Mission 7 didn't end. Mission 8 suffers serious performance issues; my framerate is normally in the hundreds and it dropped to less than ten when looking towards the town. That should not be happening on a PC with this much horsepower.

EDIT 4: There's a major issue in Mission 9, and probably in other missions using the same mechanics. I hopped out and into a building to explore while Rachel was talking, and was still there when she ordered me to head out. The boundaries moved with her and forced me across the map on foot, preventing me form getting to a vehicle. Also, when Hogenband sets of the player is given nothing to do; sections like this can lead them to conclude that the script has stalled. The player should always have more to do than idle and listen. Your dates are way off, too; Icarus was lost around 2000 years ago, not 5000.

EDIT 5: Most of the mission debriefing screens showed up blank.
bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Post by bigbadbogie »

AHadley wrote:EDIT: Okay. I've now played three more missions. I had some trouble getting the APCs to work in mission 3, and the music in mission 5 was loud enough to drown out the speech and wouldn't turn down. Also, how many of your failure conditions lead to everybody turning on the player?
APCs need to pick up 12 civilians before they head to the dropships. Music should automatically reduce volume when the talking starts. Either shooting Hoogenband too many times or letting the recy get destroyed will cause everyone to turn on you.
AHadley wrote: EDIT 2: The 15-minute audio log is extremely difficult to follow, one of the reasons I said exposition works better in text than in audio. There are also contradictions with Fleshstorm on at least one count, probably two, and I really don't like the prison-universe-for-biometal concept or the biometal-is-a-single-entity concept (but personal taste rather than pointing out an error).
At no point was it confirmed that the 'ancients'' theory was valid or accurate, or that it was anything more than a hallucination by Corey - possibly even a Wwerlna trick. How did it contradict FS?
AHadley wrote: EDIT 3: Mission 7 didn't end. Mission 8 suffers serious performance issues; my framerate is normally in the hundreds and it dropped to less than ten when looking towards the town. That should not be happening on a PC with this much horsepower.
Mission 7 ends once the Wwerlna ships have attacked Rachel's base and you've gotten the recycler into the forest. Mission 8 is very involved. It has civilians, APCs, shuttles, spiders, Wwerlna + QFM and all of those houses. It does suffer a little lag on my end, but I couldn't reduce any of it without ruining the story. For some reason, those houses do cause lag when there are large bunches of them together. They really shouldn't, considering they're all empty dummies.
AHadley wrote: EDIT 4: There's a major issue in Mission 9, and probably in other missions using the same mechanics. I hopped out and into a building to explore while Rachel was talking, and was still there when she ordered me to head out. The boundaries moved with her and forced me across the map on foot, preventing me form getting to a vehicle. Also, when Hogenband sets of the player is given nothing to do; sections like this can lead them to conclude that the script has stalled. The player should always have more to do than idle and listen. Your dates are way off, too; Icarus was lost around 2000 years ago, not 5000.
Uh, don't hop out? :P

You are given something to do! Attack the Wwerlna defensive lines.

Ancient Greece is circa 2500 BC. Around 4500-5000 years ago. "The Greeks' power wained when their gods, the source of all their enlightenment and power destroyed themselves." - BZ1
AHadley wrote: EDIT 5: Most of the mission debriefing screens showed up blank.
Known issue. That will be fixed in the patch.

Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

As I remember, FS states that biometal (at least) and the Nemesis (possibly, can't remember) were both creations of the Prometheans (I don't like that either, but it's still a contradiction :P)

At that point in M7 I hadn't yet been given anything to do and couldn't fire or move outside the base.

Ancient Greece was not 2500 BC, but from 800BC to 500. Where did you get 2500BC from?
bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Post by bigbadbogie »

Nemesis was not a creation of the Prometheans. They brought it through to our universe by accident using their collosus gate and it wiped them out.

The Prometheans did learn how to create bio-metal, but they did not invent it. It's far, far older than they were.

By M7, you mean the snow mission? Sounds like a trigger was missed.

Bugger! Big screwup. Ancient Greece was 2500 ago, not BC. That's bloody irritating! I must have misread it at some point.

Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Not M7, sorry, M9. And I don't remember the details of Fleshstorm, given that I last played it three years ago. I'll take a look at your in-depth ancient history lore later.