Creating Single Player Missions

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Vadam
Thunderbolt

Creating Single Player Missions

Post by Vadam »

Adding stuff to races is fun, but gets dry after a while. I'm looking to start creating my own missions.

I realize this is a big undertaking; what with the voice acting, creating maps for the missions, paying attention to canon so I don't freak certain people out, etc. I'm sure this involves some kind of coding, like DLL or C++ or something like that. I learned what I know now by looking at what other people did, mainly ODFs. However, fiddling with ODFs and learning a coding language are completely different things. I can't just open up any mission file and study it to know what's going on (I've tried).

My question is, what should be the first step towards learning that? How did you guys learn it?
Starfleet 0.8 - Almost done!
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Creating Single Player Missions

Post by General BlackDragon »

Well, I did it by downloading the BZ2 DLL source code, studing it, and starting out by making small tweaks.

I looked at how the stock missions did things, and tried to NOT do that. :P (I tried to find more efficient ways to do things, data structures, for loops and arrays, etc) The default mission code IS almost 15 years old now.

I'd pay more attention to the BZ2 MP dll code (Deathmatch and ST) and see how it does things. IA/MPI are older still, and the way MPI DLL is structured is actually quite horrible. (A class ontop of a subclass ontop of yet another class)

Me, RD, N1, RS, and some others all code, sort of. We'll be around to help you with any "How do i make X do Blah" questions. I can also get on Teamviewer / Skype / Teamspeak with you, and give you tutoring lessons to help you get started, if you like.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I really need to finish that LUA mission thing. GBD, wanna help? Then people can code their missions in LUA and have all the niceties I added.
Vadam
Thunderbolt

Post by Vadam »

General BlackDragon wrote:Me, RD, N1, RS, and some others all code, sort of. We'll be around to help you with any "How do i make X do Blah" questions. I can also get on Teamviewer / Skype / Teamspeak with you, and give you tutoring lessons to help you get started, if you like.
That is a generous offer, and I appreciate your willingness to help. What times are good for you to get on Teamspeak? My schedule is limited and I am only able to access my computer certain days of the week. Keep in mind I know nothing about all of this, so prepare for a bunch of noobie questions.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

im free weekdays 9am - 9pm CST and weekends whenever.
Vadam
Thunderbolt

Post by Vadam »

What's the Teamspeak server address?
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

ts3.kebbz.com
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

Does BSer's old Dll scriptor still work with the 1.3 patch? That's what I used to make SP style missions back in the day.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

only in a limited way.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Yea, c++ is way more powerful
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

coxxon wrote:Does BSer's old Dll scriptor still work with the 1.3 patch? That's what I used to make SP style missions back in the day.
Given the fact that the source code for the missions is now available there should not really be any reason to use the scriptor any more.