AAN 4-Legged Walker 'Landstalker' (Serenesis)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

AAN 4-Legged Walker 'Landstalker' (Serenesis)

Post by TheJamsh »

Amazing what you can achieve with recycled old models eh! Still working on this, as you can see some parts need connections to others, but overall its looking good I think! The aim is to keep it below 5,000 polygons, so i've got to do some efficient modelling on the joints now. Its rare that you'll see many of these on the field anyway, and BZ2 seems to be throwing around 2.5K poly tanks with ease right now with 1K view distances, on a crappy laptop GPU.

So, a little backstory... Serenesis campaign doesn't take place until a good 15-20 years post-FE, so technology has advanced a fair bit, and Titan has 2/3's of its surface covered with the AAN's central research facility,bio-metal stores, testing plains and HQ. A lot of resources and man-power comes the AAN's way post-FE in the Serenesis timeline, hence the expansion of the AAN build tree and fancy new technology like this. The AAN are something of a power-race by the time you play, especially with their allegience to the growing Scion collective and the Hadean Crown. The only damaging factor is that its assets are spread out far and wide while aiding with the colonisation acts, searching for the Cerberi, defending civilians, trying to enforce law and order over separatist pirate/mercenary groups etc.

Anyway. This bad boy doesn't come into play until late campaign, although you oversee a prototype test on Titan before you leave. Its not neccesarily designed to replace the Attila, as the Attilla still retains its heavy armour and weapons. But its definitely a more agile fight-capable machine. Its lighter, and the 4-legs give it better agility and speed, especially with the ball-pivot hip joints under the hull and the double-jointed legs. It's designed primarily as a counter to combat craft, with its *unlimited* turret rotation and twin assault guns, but the rockets on its back give it a fair punch against assault units as well, and a decent range. Like the Scion Mauler, it can also sprint when you gain enough speed.

Hardpoints are/will be:
- 2x Assault Guns
- 2x Assault Rockets
- 1x IRE Booster

Rather than a game-controlled 'jump', the IRE booster will be an animated jetpack class that drops out from under the hull and gives the craft a quick vertical boost, enabling it to climb terrain, or do other crazy stunts, similar to the Panther which gets a forward boost.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the idea of the AAN being a 'power-race'. Its nothing next to the Serenese... The focus of Serenesis is realism and polish. If you pick Serenese in a strat, expect to win easily, unless you go up against two foes, who both have to work together to bring you down. Theres three 'tiers' of balance in Serenesis between the planned races, which you pick and choose and your own discretion. I'll be putting a lot of time and effort into balance testing, don't worry about that...

A fella I know as 'Don Diablo' laid out the original leg 'shape'. I did some major major MAJOR hand-done optimizations to get them down to an acceptable poly count. Can't take all the credit!
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Re: AAN 4-Legged Walker 'Landstalker' (Serenesis)

Post by TheJamsh »

Some new renders; ~4,700 Polygons

Still aiming for under 5,000. I'm very tempted to add a half-sphere shape underneath the main hull and have the legs pivot around it, perhaps do it as part of an animated render effect. The resulting effect would be similar to some of UT3's vehicles, and how they keep the legs attached to the craft with some kind of magnetic 'energy sphere'. Thoughts on that?

Josiah
Sabre

Post by Josiah »

Is the AAN that advanced in it's tech to have that sort of leg attach? To me, it seems a little advanced for them, but then, it IS aways after FE....

oh, about the whole thing in general...

AWESOME!!
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Glad you like :P

I changed my mind on that tech, might save that idea for another race. As you said, even that far past FE that technology seems unlikely to make its way into the AAN. It was a lazy modellers idea really :P. I've kept the pivot-ball joint idea, and hand-drawn the faces in to make the base. I'm almost finished with the attachment for the legs now, and i've managed to keep it to around 4,700 polys with the base which is a bonus, as I could delete a lot of the spheres. Just adding the final touches now!

Heres the base and legs on their own, just need a turntable type thing, and a few little details.

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Finished! 5,030 Polygons with the booster mesh, although technically thats not part of the model, so still hit my goal!

Changed the base again so the turret itself now operates on a pivot-ball system too. Proud of this!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

TheJamsh wrote:Finished! With posing oppurtunities... Changed the base again so the turret itself now operates on a pivot-ball system too. Proud of this!
Good! Since BZ2 still only has mono pivot walker turrets.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Yes, and that whatever it stands on is planar.

Have fun animating that, I know I wouldn't :)
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

*sigh* yep... big learning curve ahead of me!

I don't even know where to begin with walkers. I though fishdotxsi had some info but it appears not. This should be interesting!
eli
Drunken Scav

Post by eli »

Looks really cool.