Bull Dog

Optimizations (was la fae)

Post by Clavin12 »

Is a 1k poly pilot unreasonable?
Zax
Attila

Re: La Fae (Warning: Many Images)

Post by Zax »

Clavin12 wrote:Is a 1k poly pilot unreasonable?
An average call of duty soldier weighs 20,000 polys. Take that for what it's worth.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Well, BZ2 (even pb5+) still does skinning on the CPU, not the GPU. Modern games use shaders to do more work on the GPU. So, throwing lots of verts thru the CPU on BZ2 isn't necessarily the best idea. Do test before releasing.

1.3pb6.1 has a bunch of optimizations to make skinning on the CPU a bit faster, especially on slower machines. But not radically faster.

-- GSH
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

GSH wrote:Well, BZ2 (even pb5+) still does skinning on the CPU, not the GPU. Modern games use shaders to do more work on the GPU. So, throwing lots of verts thru the CPU on BZ2 isn't necessarily the best idea. Do test before releasing.

1.3pb6.1 has a bunch of optimizations to make skinning on the CPU a bit faster, especially on slower machines. But not radically faster.

-- GSH
How about local fog? Will that still be so intensive to render, because if so, it should probably be left disabled. Even at 25% it eats my FPS for breakfast, and I am planning on testing exactly how much of a hit each percentage takes at a given location.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Local fog is 95+% GPU (graphics card) dependent. It's drawing a bunch of slices of a 3D texture, which leans very heavily on your GPU's fill rate. Basically, opaque things can be drawn faster with basically just a write, than transparent items, which require a read-modify-write cycle. What graphics card do you have, zax?

(Topic split about to happen, too)

-- GSH
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

GSH wrote:Local fog is 95+% GPU (graphics card) dependent. It's drawing a bunch of slices of a 3D texture, which leans very heavily on your GPU's fill rate. Basically, opaque things can be drawn faster with basically just a write, than transparent items, which require a read-modify-write cycle. What graphics card do you have, zax?

(Topic split about to happen, too)

-- GSH
A Radeon 5850, a card that should be eating BZ2 for breakfast rather than the other way around :lol:

I turn it off and it is no huge issue, but I do miss the little extras like the dust or the weather in flesh storm. It's just much more intensive than it seems it should be; kind of like when I am zoomed in very far with filters turned on in my choice of 2D graphics editor. Grinds.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Re: Optimizations (was la fae)

Post by Clavin12 »

So as long as I don't have any apc like units 1k pilots should be fine?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Give 1k pilots a go and if that slows you down, lower it. If any of the testers (when you get that far) slow down, lower it again.

Speaking of local fog, how would I go about removing the small patches of fog on a map such as Dunes?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:Speaking of local fog, how would I go about removing the small patches of fog on a map such as Dunes?
No, local fog exists for that type of fog. The slow down is why we have that toggle to turn it off.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

I feel I should inform you all that I currently have a near 6K high-poly AAN pilot... obviously I am working to drastically reduce that to something slightly more sensible :P

Many thanks to the creators of UE Viewer for those badboys... although its going to take some serious re-texturing and optimizations to bring them down.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Nielk1 wrote:
AHadley wrote:Speaking of local fog, how would I go about removing the small patches of fog on a map such as Dunes?
No, local fog exists for that type of fog. The slow down is why we have that toggle to turn it off.
The problem being that even with very high end equipment it still must be turned off has an effect that it might as well not even be there.

It's kind of like stencil shadows, only stencil shadows don't grind things to a halt.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Zax wrote:
Nielk1 wrote:
The problem being that even with very high end equipment it still must be turned off has an effect that it might as well not even be there.

It's kind of like stencil shadows, only stencil shadows don't grind things to a halt.
I don't need to turn it off and my system is out of date by a pretty long shot.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I mean removing the fog from the map entirely to turn it into a new map without fatches of pog.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

To which the answer is, don't. Just make a nice new clean map.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Which is what I did anyway :)