caint install bz

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

birddseedd
Scrap

caint install bz

Post by birddseedd »

tryin to install bz on win7. others say that if you set comparability mode it works. doesn't seem to work.

what did all of yall do to get it to work?
Axeminister
Sabre

Re: caint install bz

Post by Axeminister »

don't install to default location, just make a folder destination like C://Battlezone II. I have an unpatched version under a folder like this and it works on W7.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

There's instructions in the 1.3.6.2 patch's Readme13.rtf file. Here's the relevant section, though you should read more.
Installing Battlezone II from CD on Windows XP/Vista/7
The Battlezone II CD does not contain the best installer, as many have noticed. Especially for 64-bit versions of Windows, the setup.exe in the root folder of the BZ2 CD does NOT run, because that setup.exe is a 16-bit application. Battlezone II (the game) is a proper 32-bit application that runs on 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows. But, the CD's initial installer does not run well on modern systems. The best thing to do is to try this first:
1. Insert BZ2 CD. Do not run anything if prompted
2. In Windows, go to 'My Computer' (Windows XP), or 'Computer' (Windows 7)
3. Find the BZ2 CD entry, click on it
4. Go to the setup directory in the BZ2 CD
5. Run the setup.exe (shown simply as the application called 'setup' if you use the Windows default of hiding file extensions)
-- GSH
S.cavA.rmyG.en
Sabre

Post by S.cavA.rmyG.en »

after you get it installed pach it.
http://www.bzscrap.org
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Funny, everything worked fine for me. I've got about a dozen versions installed, 1.01b to 1.3b91j3.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

GSH is most likely the only person here who was helpful.

Don't jump the gun guys, he couldn't install it. It is a classic issue with the 16 bit autorun on a 64 bit system where they have to be told where to find the 32 bit installer.
General_Ivan
Scrap

Post by General_Ivan »

Installing Battlezone II from CD on Windows XP/Vista/7
The Battlezone II CD does not contain the best installer, as many have noticed. Especially for 64-bit versions of Windows, the setup.exe in the root folder of the BZ2 CD does NOT run, because that setup.exe is a 16-bit application. Battlezone II (the game) is a proper 32-bit application that runs on 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows. But, the CD's initial installer does not run well on modern systems. The best thing to do is to try this first:
1. Insert BZ2 CD. Do not run anything if prompted
2. In Windows, go to 'My Computer' (Windows XP), or 'Computer' (Windows 7)
3. Find the BZ2 CD entry, click on it
4. Go to the setup directory in the BZ2 CD
5. Run the setup.exe (shown simply as the application called 'setup' if you use the Windows default of hiding file extensions)

I followed every step, but when I run setup.exe nothing happens. In task manager it shows the process is running, but it doesn't do anything. I have windows Vista and I got the game off ebay.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Is the disc clean and unsctratched? Try to burn a copy and see if that can be done successful. If the copy burns with errors then you may have a damaged original. If it burns without errors then there is some other issue at work. Making a backup copy is legal and can be used in the future should your orignal disc get lost or damaged.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Normally I just wait for it.

Sometimes it takes like 30 minutes for it to pop up on Vista. Try just waiting for it.

Vista sucks, get Windows 7.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Nielk1 wrote:GSH is most likely the only person here who was helpful.

Don't jump the gun guys, he couldn't install it. It is a classic issue with the 16 bit autorun on a 64 bit system where they have to be told where to find the 32 bit installer.
Wonder if we could create a new installer autorun that just points to the setup.exe and sticky it. One click solution for the most naive of the fly-by-night visitors, wouldn't take terribly wrong (just point to the primary cd drive setup) and be off with it.

I know, sounds simple to us, but can be an "amazing fix" to the right people.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

For quite some time, running setup\setup.exe worked for people (i.e. the setup executable inside the setup folder). I've seen reports that it's not opening windows for some these days. Maybe it's required to right click and run it as an administrator?

Patching the CD is really, really hard. The best bet is to vote on gog.com's wishlist for them to carry BZ1/2. Gog wrappers game content inside a modern installer that's compliant with modern rules, etc.

-- GSH
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

GSH wrote:For quite some time, running setup\setup.exe worked for people (i.e. the setup executable inside the setup folder). I've seen reports that it's not opening windows for some these days. Maybe it's required to right click and run it as an administrator?

Patching the CD is really, really hard. The best bet is to vote on gog.com's wishlist for them to carry BZ1/2. Gog wrappers game content inside a modern installer that's compliant with modern rules, etc.

-- GSH
All we'd have to do is go to my Morgan Freeman run satellite camera room and track every potential BZ2 disc out there, collect it, reburn it, and then return them to their original owners all in the dark of night.

---

What I mean was really just a shortcut that locates the CD drive and launches the setup for people who don't know what R:\Battlezone2 even is, or that "My Computer" isn't the box in front of them.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

I can't help but wonder what new problems Windows 8 will introduce for installing BZII? XP, though a bit dated works great with all versions of BZII.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

I take it you're not installing or running BZ2 as a guest account under XP? Most people don't. But, BZ2 CDs with 1.0 or old BZ2 patches aren't great under those conditions.

For the record: I support Microsoft locking down the Program Files directory from random apps that want to scribble random files there at any point. Unix (and variants like Linux) have done that for decades -- /usr/bin is not writeable as a non-admin user. That's good. MS is late to the cool kids (security) party, but at least they're moving in the right direction. Yes, that means modern installers are needed for BZ2 -- CD, patches, and mods. I've been pushing for that for years.

-- GSH
General_Ivan
Scrap

Post by General_Ivan »

I solved the problem the same as with Imperium galactica 2: I installed it on my old computer with XP, then put all the game files on a memory stick and transferred it to my Vista computer. Works fine now :) I actually did that a few hours ago already, but just couldn't stop playing right away to let u guys know :D

Btw I'm new to the game, but already seems to be in my 3 all time favorite games (although I dislike the fact u can't get into the bomber and fly around)

And amazing to have that many repsonses on a forum of a game that's 12 years old :)