server down

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Zero Angel
Attila

Re: server down

Post by Zero Angel »

Axeminister wrote:I have a copy of BZ2 that has never been used. I bought it at Fry's probably 7 years ago as it was the last one in town on the shelves, it is an XPLOSIV version. If needed I could lend them a copy. I am kind of hesitant to do it since they did us like this.
You do realize that OpenSpy is a different service than Gamespy? The OS guys have nothing to do with the GS guys, they just run gamespy compatible server software which we might be able to use.

It would certainly be helpful if they had access to the game so that they can support it better.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Ejsstiil
Scrap

Post by Ejsstiil »

The Acrylic DNS cache has ability to set wildcards to its hosts file. Maybe this will help us.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/acrylic/
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I have been making some head way with OpenSpy. Using the helper application, the ones who tested with me (Kebbz and Blackdragon) were able to successfully register their game with the open spy master servers and to be visible by clients. However clients who click on a game will crash the openspy server and future hosting attempts will fail. The good folks at openspy have promised to take a look and they'll work on the problem tomorrow. For now, nobody should do any testing as I do not want to crash their servers unnecessarily.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Stupid question. Is the openspy software open source or planned to be at some point?
From what little I could find about them it does just seem to be a one man and his server operation at the moment.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

He indicated the software will be released along with the source. www.openspy.org, check the bz2 topic for details.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

I leave for a week and come back and the server's down. :cry:
So what exactly are trying now? Do I need to get GameRanger or should I wait for a better alternative?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I would wait. OpenSpy looks good but atm it has issues with BZ2 so don't try to use it yet.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Will do. Thanks. :)
Hope this all gets fixed.
Juggernaut
Thunderbolt

Post by Juggernaut »

Most certainly try using gameranger. It's small, fast, and we have been meeting and having games there (as well as the TS3 server).
It's like a shell in a shell, and it now uses NAT negotiation (old versions didn't), so it will open ports automatically. Tons of chat options including PMs and friend lists. FREE.

When you install, I find Gameranger scans for and configures the 1st bzone.exe it comes across as the Gameranger/BZ2 path. I had to EDIT | Options | scroll down to battlezone | browse to the version of BZ2 I want it to work with (I have 1.2 and other installs, so it picked 1.2 version of bzone.exe and would launch the incorrect version). http://gameranger.com

If your router has unpn disabled or doesn't support it, you will need to forward port 16000 UDP.
Specs:
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz CPU
16GB DDR31600 Corsair RAM
MSI Z77A-G41 MOBO
Crucial 256GB SSD | 500GB WD HDD
EVGA REF GTX-970 4GB ACX 2.1 GPU
27" LG D2743 Cinema 3D IPS LED @1920x1080 60Hz
ASUS Xonar DGX APU
Cable Internet - 35Mb/6Mb
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

It needs commandline options :D
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

I finally got official word back from Gamespy's developer relations, weeks after I emailed them. I don't feel that I can repost that email in public, but the summary is that Gamespy said that Activision chose to cease supporting their back catalog, which includes BZ2 and SWAT4. Due to the cancelation of the Gamespy Open program, any games not supported by publisher agreements had their Gamespy servers yanked.

Personally, I do not assume that Activision will be convinced to change their support level for BZ2. Their dumping BZ2 out to die at retail the week after Christmas 1999, and calling 1.2 an unofficial patch convinced us at Pandemic that Activision didn't care back in 1999/2000.

What this news means for the future of BZ2, it closes out the possibility that this was an accidental mistake on Gamespy's part. That focuses things somewhat.

-- GSH
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

I've always disliked Activision. Even if they brought us some good games.
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

I finally got official word back from Gamespy's developer relations, weeks after I emailed them. I don't feel that I can repost that email in public, but the summary is that Gamespy said that Activision chose to cease supporting their back catalog, which includes BZ2 and SWAT4. Due to the cancelation of the Gamespy Open program, any games not supported by publisher agreements had their Gamespy servers yanked.
Well then.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

But in seriousness, this is terrible. With Luck, I hope, BZ2 will survive into the future, but today marks a terrible blow to the game and its community.
Known on FF.net as John Mccallistair, link provided below if you're interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5916137/John-Mccallistair
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Indeed, IM. :(
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

Do I understand this right now?

6.0-row got an upgrade to qr2, which we never really needed.

Now they don't support qr2 anymore and we are anyways not going back to qr1 ?
Teamspeak 3: teamspeak.com
TS3 Server(Ugonland): 74.91.115.34