server down

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Red Spot
Attila

Re: server down

Post by Red Spot »

Interestingly I wonder for who you'd be doing that.
So far all the regulars seem very able to figure stuff out on their own or are organised enough to help each other out. Any new influx will have to go to a forum to find a link that isnt going to be discussed or an online place that advertises BZ2. All you need is a clear link/banner/... that moves people to a topic that explaines the ups and downs of certain methods and how to make them work.
As it was just before GS dropped support you pretty much had the solo-players, the small groups that know each other and lock/protect their game, and the organised bunch. Whatever is left is a very small percentage of playing members and hardly the demise of the game if they'd drop it.

I would like to see a new ingame matchmaking service, but for the time being other alternatives are more than capable of doing the job. It's just that, as usual, there is no sense of a whole in this community so everybody just shoots whichever way they want to go ... which may actually damage the amount of active players. Its not the method they connect, but how they utulize those methods .. unorganised.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Interestingly I wonder for who you'd be doing that.
Well for everyone who enjoys this game. Which ever solution people use at the moment, it just puts another obstacle in the connectivity of bz2. The mpi games are already badly effected as they always relied on people just randomly joining, rather than being players who regularly play together.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

^What TwoSheds said.
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

GAMESPY, WHY HAVE YOU BETRAYED US?
It's a cold world and THIS IS ICE
Feldheld
Rattler

Post by Feldheld »

Juggernaut wrote:Although Gameranger is not perfect, it is the best solution thus far to organize BZ2 online.
I have yet to find a downside of GR. Actually it has advantages to gamespy. Gameranger stays in the background in your PC and alerts you to any host opening up a BZ2 game, or any other of your GR supported games for that matter.

The only thing people need to learn is to describe what kind of match they are hosting. Joiners need to know if its a MPI game, DM or Human Strat.
rice303
Rattler

Post by rice303 »

Probably a really stupid question, but does this mean there will be no more patches? and also, I'm probably not going to be able to play as much with the servers down, I don't have a lot of players at my skill on the fourms and not many of my friends really enjoy the game.
Life isn't about love, hate or fear, it's about understanding that there's more then just us excising in this world, you may hate someone for their decision, but in the end, it's never your fault and you can always move on....
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Use gameranger
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

rice303 wrote:Probably a really stupid question, but does this mean there will be no more patches? and also, I'm probably not going to be able to play as much with the servers down, I don't have a lot of players at my skill on the fourms and not many of my friends really enjoy the game.
The next 1.3 release looks to be OpenSpy compatible.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

openspy.org is in the midst of building a new website, so the openspy servers may be down for a bit.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
SnakeEye
Rattler

Post by SnakeEye »

So... we are going to use openspy instead of gamespy now?
shakerfish
Scrap

Post by shakerfish »

Hi all,

Annihilator here. It sucks that Gamespy killed our online gaming. Couldn’t we however all connect via VPN to a server and play TCP/IP LAN game. I think this would work. We just need to have a server that would allow us to connect to it via VPN.
jack775544
Thunderbolt

Post by jack775544 »

Run with the command switch /lanonly so it doesn't check for the gamespy servers.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist" - Charles Baudelaire
SnakeEye
Rattler

Post by SnakeEye »

I played bz2 over Tunngle yesterday and it worked
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

There are a number of solutions available. The problem is getting everyone to use the same one.
I had hoped the community would take up using the b91s openspy patch, but they don't seem to be doing that.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

Should we have a forum wide debate about what to use then?
Known on FF.net as John Mccallistair, link provided below if you're interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5916137/John-Mccallistair