server down

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Baconboy
Attila

Re: server down

Post by Baconboy »

Someone should get a hold of Kebbz and see if there's a way of him making a server list that has current games up with the IP addresses, so people can copy/paste IPs to join games. Idk if that's even possible, but it might be worth a try.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Kebbz list works sort of like a user does, it connects to the matchmaking servers and looks which games are there. No GS, no matchmaking, no list.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Ah ok.
Killer AK
Rattler

Post by Killer AK »

AHadley wrote:BZ2's networking code isn't built that way. It works with BZ1, but look how that turned out.
Bz 1 turned out pretty good actually.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

You've not seen their mess of a community then? Individually-controlled servers serving the entire game is not a good thing. It's open to all manner of abuse.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Killer is a old timer in Bz, i think he knows.
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
Feared_1
Sabre

Post by Feared_1 »

Doesn't matter what you think he knows. THIS:
AHadley wrote:You've not seen their mess of a community then? Individually-controlled servers serving the entire game is not a good thing. It's open to all manner of abuse.
...is the truth. Think about all of the problems it could cause with people being banned from one person's server because they don't "like" that person or people having to connect to a different server to play a different game type. It's a giant mess. I have never seen many of you in any games to really know what that means, though.

I really hope we get OpenSpy to start working. That will be our best bet.
This is where my signature picture would normally be. It is not, as you can see.
You're wasting your time reading this. :)
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

There are 3 servers to play on, two of which are run the same as Activision ran them.
What do you think would have happened in Bz2 if the server code was open source?
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Apollo wrote:There are 3 servers to play on, two of which are run the same as Activision ran them.
What do you think would have happened in Bz2 if the server code was open source?
And one - the largest and the one new players are most likely to land on - which bans people for the most arbitrary of reasons.

BZ2 would likely go/have gone exactly the same way. I am making no comment on who would have done what as it's equally likely to happen on either side, frankly. The only person I would trust with their own server right now is GSH.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Players in bz2 can ban whoever they want from their own server. Banning people from a matchmaking server would be another matter entirely and quite unacceptable. The community would just have to use an alternative if that started happening at all.
Gamespy has now banned the whole community...
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Axeminister
Sabre

Post by Axeminister »

Just tested GameRanger with TNT, worked fine. I saw his game, joined, played.
He who does not advance themselves, endlessly becomes themselves.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/3606640
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

I was playing on GameRanger with a dude named gf. Worked well. Just like old times. If only more people played.

He suggested this to help with the server (haven't done much reading on it, so I don't know if it's any better than GR, but it looks interesting). It might just be sorta a copy of GameRanger:
http://www.tunngle.net/
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Game ranger does have a few minor issues, like some players always getting thrown out at the start because of the player limit on the default map, adverts, no ability to check IP addresses and nags if you don't upgrade.
Juggernaut
Thunderbolt

Post by Juggernaut »

Game ranger does have a few minor issues, like some players always getting thrown out at the start because of the player limit on the default map, adverts, no ability to check IP addresses and nags if you don't upgrade.
The players don't get thrown out. BZ2 will launch automatically for 4 of the 8 in the lobby, the other 4 have to click the join button once the server sets to a map that supports 8 players. The server can check all IPs (\iplist), others cannot. I never get a nags to upgrade. Other issue I notice with Gameranger is that people cannot IP join the game using the 1.2.3.4:17770 method (it crashes the BZ2 server back to GR chat room), I'm presuming because GR uses different ports. Haven't fully tested this.

Unfortunately, most who still play are meeting in the ugonland TS server and IP joining each others game. I can't get more to use GR which is a shame. Too stubborn to change I guess. :( Although Gameranger is not perfect, it is the best solution thus far to organize BZ2 online. Direct IP joining works fine, but doesn't advertise BZ2 presence which imho, only ensures BZ2 online's demise. :((
Specs:
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz CPU
16GB DDR31600 Corsair RAM
MSI Z77A-G41 MOBO
Crucial 256GB SSD | 500GB WD HDD
EVGA REF GTX-970 4GB ACX 2.1 GPU
27" LG D2743 Cinema 3D IPS LED @1920x1080 60Hz
ASUS Xonar DGX APU
Cable Internet - 35Mb/6Mb
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Really we need to get it back working on its own, both ts3 and GR are an effective barrier for new/returning players succeeding in finding the multiplayer community at all.