Problems, any solution?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Dragona
Scrap

Problems, any solution?

Post by Dragona »

Hey.
I recently tried to install battlezone 2, but since i got windows 7 i have had some troubles with it.
First of all i cant run the installer, the install screen doesnt come up at all, ive tried with the compatibility options and the "run as administrator" but its no good :(.
Secondly, my friend did send me his already installed folder, i can run it but my ESC button , and some other buttons dont work.
Anyone know what i can do to fix this?
GSH
Patch Creator

Re: Problems, any solution?

Post by GSH »

The 1.3.6.2 patch readme says this about running the installer on CD:
The Battlezone II CD does not contain the best installer, as many have noticed. Especially for 64-bit versions of Windows, the setup.exe in the root folder of the BZ2 CD does NOT run, because that setup.exe is a 16-bit application. Battlezone II (the game) is a proper 32-bit application that runs on 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows. But, the CD's initial installer does not run well on modern systems. The best thing to do is to try this first:
1. Insert BZ2 CD. Do not run anything if prompted
2. In Windows, go to 'My Computer' (Windows XP), or 'Computer' (Windows 7)
3. Find the BZ2 CD entry, click on it
4. Go to the setup directory in the BZ2 CD
5. Run the setup.exe (shown simply as the application called 'setup' if you use the Windows default of hiding file extensions)

Hopefully, the above steps work. However, it will sometimes put up a dialog box saying that Windows NT is not supported. For some, click 'ok' to dismiss that message, and the installer works perfectly well after that.
It is best to install from CD then run the 1.3.6.2 installer to install all prerequisites.

-- GSH
Dragona
Scrap

Post by Dragona »

I have tried that, when i click on the setup, the admin thingy comes up, i click yes allow this or whatever :), then nothing :( , it just sits in the taskmaster.
yeah
Rattler

Post by yeah »

Since you don't really need the original installer for any OS configuration (the 1.3 installer will do that later anyhow), there is workaround in case the original installer won't run on your current W7 system. Simply install BZ2 on another machine and copy the installation directory to your W7 machine. After that you run the installer for the 1.3 patch on your W7 machine.

If you keep a (zipped) copy of the installation directory on that other machine, you can use that for future installation without the CD or any need to run the original installer. All you need for future clean installs is to unzip that directory and run the 1.3 patch installer afterwards.
S.cavA.rmyG.en
Sabre

Post by S.cavA.rmyG.en »

yeah wrote:Since you don't really need the original installer for any OS configuration (the 1.3 installer will do that later anyhow), there is workaround in case the original installer won't run on your current W7 system. Simply install BZ2 on another machine and copy the installation directory to your W7 machine. After that you run the installer for the 1.3 patch on your W7 machine.

If you keep a (zipped) copy of the installation directory on that other machine, you can use that for future installation without the CD or any need to run the original installer. All you need for future clean installs is to unzip that directory and run the 1.3 patch installer afterwards.
this can also used for mods to keep a working back up.
4 THINGS TO REMEMBER:
1.Professionals are predictable,amateurs are dangerous
2.If you can't remember, the Big Gun is always aimed at you.
3.If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid,it's crazy.
4.Anything you do can get you killed,even if it's nothing
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Keeping a zipped copy of BZ2 is worth doing regardless of whether you mod or test.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Dragona
Scrap

Post by Dragona »

Okay so ive tried to install it on another machine and then copy the whole thing, the thing is when i start the game my Escape button is like unbinded, doesnt do anything, same thing with some other buttons, is there a way i can change it in a config document or something?
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

yes, in the addon\config folder you will find GamePrefs.ini. look in the bottom of that file for key assignments you can tweak.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red Devil wrote:yes, in the addon\config folder you will find GamePrefs.ini. look in the bottom of that file for key assignments you can tweak.
Copy them into LocalPrefs before you edit them, or they'll be overwritten next update.
AHadley wrote:Keeping a zipped copy of BZ2 is worth doing regardless of whether you mod or test.
Side note: Because your CD might one day not be in its box.
Dragona
Scrap

Post by Dragona »

Okay so i looked in my game folders, and i dont have any GamePrefs.ini/Localprefs, only things i have in my addon folder is OPT and tga files, no other folders in there etc. What to do? :(
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Install 1.3.
Dragona
Scrap

Post by Dragona »

AHadley wrote:Install 1.3.
Thank you!
Works like a charm :).
eli
Drunken Scav

Post by eli »

run in compatibility mode
i am weird
i like pudding
and you like me
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

eli wrote:run in compatibility mode
Avoid this whenever possible.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Compatability mode may be helpful for the CD's installer and older BZ2 patches. However, BZ2 1.3.6 (and up) are tested primarily (exclusively?) with compatability mode OFF. It is not recommended to run 1.3.6 (and up) with compatability mode. Hacks that might have helped ancient patches like 1.2 can hurt the latest patches.

-- GSH