Battlezone Wiki

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Ded10c
Recycler

Battlezone Wiki

Post by Ded10c »

There have been a number of Battlezone-oriented wikis for a while, and I recently adopted the one at battlezone.wikia.com with the aim of turning it into a fully-functional and comprehensive wiki for both BZ1 and BZ2.

This is the part where I ask your help. I want everything you know on there.

The wiki is only in its infancy, so don't expect much shine or gloss quite yet, but it's certainly a start (and certainly better than the wiki looked a month or so ago). I'm also looking for community members to volunteer as staff; currently, only myself and the inactive founder HK-90.

So, go register and write stuff. (Canon only; games, manuals, strategy guides; patches, not mods)
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: Battlezone Wiki

Post by Nielk1 »

I support the copying of data from my wiki to this one in the case where it is 'stock' info as per AH's intentions for the wiki.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Custom content will eventually be welcome, just not until we have a good handle on the official stuff.

EDIT: If user-created content absolutely must be added (can't keep it in your head, not a better time, etc.), I'll slap a template and category on it. It's not a problem.

Also want someone who's good with CSS to take a poke at wiki.css. /me looks at Nielk1
Firestorm29
Rattler

Post by Firestorm29 »

Just keep in mind as you use wikia.org that they've had done stuff like forcing changes upon people and banning peeps that post links to other wikis (Nielk1's will count for this). While I do like the idea of having a public wiki, I've seen alot of those wikias turn into problems after awhile. Not saying to abandon this thing, just be cautious.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I didn't create it as I've noted above, I "rescued" it from an inactive administrator who had bugger all content (and it's the most central address).

There's also nothing in Wikia's policies about interwiki or external links being banned, and I've looked through them extensively in the past. There is some controversy surrounding the takeover of other wikis, but that is always done with the consent of the other wiki's bureaucrats/sysops. They've also been known to keep inactive wikias open for the advertising revenue, hurting the search ranking of the replacement (easily fixed by deleting pages and making redirects).

In any case, we have a nice central address we can fill with all kinds of useful information. Still need active contributors, still need additional staff. Volunteers?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I think if we specifically create "interwiki" links, as in, in the inter-wiki system, we should be fine.
Firestorm29
Rattler

Post by Firestorm29 »

Personally, I'd love to help with something like this, but I think people whose been more involved with BZ1 and BZ2 lore can do a way better job than I could.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I've got to redo my site entirely, but BZ2MD is getting any of my "web work" atm. Though after doing "web work" at work all day I tend to be sick of it, hence the slow updates to BZ2MD.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Firestorm29 wrote:Personally, I'd love to help with something like this, but I think people whose been more involved with BZ1 and BZ2 lore can do a way better job than I could.
Since it's just me at the moment, absolutely everything is appreciated.
TnT
Drunken Constructor

Post by TnT »

I seen your redirect from BZ1 and wondered do need stuff like this?
I have the BZ Gold Pack and all it's paraphernalia. I don't know if there would be copyright issue with posting it on a wiki or if it would fall under the fair use regulations.

Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I take it the copy of TRO in the manual didn't have a manual with it?

I'm not sure the image itself would be all that useful, but you can upload it if you wish. A written table for controls would probably be better than the image above, which seems to have a little too much whitespace. If nothing else, the HUD image could be cropped out and used.
TnT
Drunken Constructor

Post by TnT »

[quote="AHadley"]I take it the copy of TRO in the manual didn't have a manual with it?

Not sure what that means, but the manual, if it can be called that, is an htm file.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5 ... f6PjDbgyXc
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

It looks like that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
ssuser
Rattler

Post by ssuser »

Not to rain on your parade, but having all this stuff on a wiki just means it is likely to become magically inaccessible or just plain disappear one fine day, without warning. When bzuniverse went down, I think it was BFT who complained about losing his posts filled with ideas, pseudo blogs, and so forth, and I have to say about this what I said to him..

Do not trust the cloud. Sooner or later it always rains out.

Better to have all this kind of stuff under the control of a dedicated BZ person who can host on his own server. And with frequent backups in other places, as witness what happened with bzuniverse.com...
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I keep major page changes backed up, don't worry about losing things.

Nielk1 runs BZComplex on his own server, but it's too out of the way for most people to visit and it doesn't show up as prominently in searches for "battlezone wiki". I'm a sysop on BZComplex, and the inactive wikia site was always higher in search results; hence I adopted it and made it actually useful, migrating the content.