A griefer problem

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Vadam
Thunderbolt

A griefer problem

Post by Vadam »

We all probably know by now there are a bunch of griefers running around BZ (or just one that changes his IP). It has gotten to the point where I'm suspicious of anyone who joins my game. There is not much we can do to fight them, except ban them on the spot. They might actually be hacking the game though. I was in an MPI game with Huib-Bloodstone, Lieutenant-ita, and a guy named "1". I gave Huib a thug recycler, and a few minutes later I see his constructor demolishing my forge after it already demolished my recycler. Huib swears that he did not do it, he doesn't seem like he would do something like that anyway. Could the griefers have somehow taken control of his constructor or something? Another interesting point is that two people openly admitted to being able to change their IP on a whim. Russian and supp were the two. I'm just going to stick to pre-arranged games until this blows over. I'd provide IPs, but I know they'd just change them anyway.
Starfleet 0.8 - Almost done!
Ded10c
Recycler

Re: A griefer problem

Post by Ded10c »

Sure it wasn't someone impersonating Huib?
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Vadam
Thunderbolt

Post by Vadam »

I'm fairly certain. We played a strat afterwords and he didn't grief one bit.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Usually the purpose of the griefing is to persuade people to just play strat, they are just bored and cannot find anyone else to play strat with.
Get peerblock and range ban his ISP, there are a lot more ISP's than BZ2 players.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Vadam
Thunderbolt

Post by Vadam »

I never heard of anybody griefing just to play strat, since the reason we played strat was because too many players had joined for an MPI in the time Huib and I were discussing what to do about the griefers. Ill try peerblock though and see what it does.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

What it does, after you set it up, is very rudely disconnect, without any explanation, anyone using the ip's/range you have listed. You can turn it off and on without restarting bz2. The target just lags out and cannot rejoin.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Or you can do it the other way around. When people join, check their IP, if their IP is not known to you » ban!

I've learned to already ban people that cant greet the people already in game when they join, to me it is the same as entering someone's home and not having the slight little bit of respect to greet the homeowners.

That being said, when the 'die hard griefers' join my game I let them, but make sure their griefing fails, turning the tables on the kiddies and making them waste their time :)
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

ask for voice identification beforehand, too.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
viktor
Drunken Scav

Post by viktor »

Red Spot wrote:Or you can do it the other way around. When people join, check their IP, if their IP is not known to you » ban!

I've learned to already ban people that cant greet the people already in game when they join, to me it is the same as entering someone's home and not having the slight little bit of respect to greet the homeowners.

That being said, when the 'die hard griefers' join my game I let them, but make sure their griefing fails, turning the tables on the kiddies and making them waste their time :)
if you ban all unknown ip adresses you would alienate ALL new players making sure that no new players join any bzcommunity thus making the game dies a slow death. and about this ''but make sure their griefing fails'' how do you accomplish this?
viktor
Drunken Scav

Post by viktor »

Red Devil wrote:ask for voice identification beforehand, too.
not all regular normal players have a microphone configured or a microphone at all, so this only slightly solves the problem
but what if a griefer would record you ingame? and play those sounds back when asked for authentication?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Or you can do it the other way around. When people join, check their IP, if their IP is not known to you » ban!
In such a small community it is actually very dull to play the same people all the time, personally I prefer to welcome newbs and even the cloaked mystery players and simply cannot be bothered to monitor and list everyone's IP. Having the ability to just make your proven problem players go away, without them or the others knowing that your actually doing it to them is just perfect.
Huib-Bloodstone
Rattler

Post by Huib-Bloodstone »

u can ban ip's but its not going to help when you are using proxy and vpn's
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

MrTwosheds wrote:
In such a small community it is actually very dull to play the same people all the time, personally I prefer to welcome newbs and even the cloaked mystery players and simply cannot be bothered to monitor and list everyone's IP. Having the ability to just make your proven problem players go away, without them or the others knowing that your actually doing it to them is just perfect.
I dont take it that far, the second bit of my post illustrates what the criteria for preventing a ban are .. basic social skills. I dont think thats too much to ask in a 'teambased' MP-game.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

u can ban ip's but its not going to help when you are using proxy and vpn's
I have never tried playing bz2 via these methods, I expect the results are undesirable.
Ip addresses are allocated in blocks to organisations like isp's mostly, if they are using a proxy, presumably a whois will show you the range used by those running the proxy service, list that in peer block and your computer will not accept any connections from the proxy server. I am fairly certain that proxy servers are one of the ready made lists you can download for peerblock. So you could just ban all of them too. You can ban entire Nations if you want to :)
When I first started using it I downloaded a few lists, only to find that gamespy was on one of them and that I had banned myself from BZ2 :lol:
http://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

So was it you in that game or and imposter? :)
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

you can also arrange for a game with your friends and password it.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA