Sensitivity/acceleration behavior

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

2mg
Rattler

Sensitivity/acceleration behavior

Post by 2mg »

Hi,

I am having some weird issues with mouse movement:

- Horizontal aiming makes very fast left/right movements with short mouse moves, yet to turn the vehicle more than 90° with a longer faster mouse move, it behaves rather slow.

- Vertical aiming is the exact opposite: small moves are slow, yet a faster move makes the aim almost jump up/down.

I don't have any special mouse software, not any special huge mouse DPI, no mouse accel. in Windows, and I'm using W7 + BZ2 1.3.6.4z19.

Can someone help me, it's really annoying, turning in combat vs fine aiming is very hard to pull off...
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: Sensitivity/acceleration behavior

Post by Red Devil »

do you have acceleration turned on in the ms mouse control panel?

do you have your mouse movement settings set to 100% for each setting? (options/input/movement)

do you have control smoothing on? (options/play)

do you have fuzz in your mouse navel?
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Normally in BZ2 the pitch is very fast and the yaw is very slow, because the mass of the ship has more effect on the yaw than the pitch. From what you wrote it sounds like the opposite is occurring?
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

I rolled back my recent(ish) input changes as a test and found no difference in vehicle handling so it's not that. Have you tried testing with an earlier build for comparison?
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

Ultraken wrote:I rolled back my recent(ish) input changes as a test and found no difference in vehicle handling so it's not that. Have you tried testing with an earlier build for comparison?
I'll probably try last beta later, but firstly I'd like to try to figure it out via forums.
Nielk1 wrote:Normally in BZ2 the pitch is very fast and the yaw is very slow, because the mass of the ship has more effect on the yaw than the pitch. From what you wrote it sounds like the opposite is occurring?
I am aware, since 1999, that horizontal movement is slower than vertical in BZ2 ;) That's not the issue here.
Red Devil wrote:do you have acceleration turned on in the ms mouse control panel?

do you have your mouse movement settings set to 100% for each setting? (options/input/movement)

do you have control smoothing on? (options/play)

do you have fuzz in your mouse navel?
As I said, I'm using 1-to-1 mouse input ratio, DPI is constant and irrelevant (1000 just so you know), middle setting in mouse control panel, acceleration turned off, in-game smoothing is off (didn't notice a difference on/off). I don't know what mouse navel is, I presume you're talking about dust, so no, it's clean. Also, only horizontal leveling is on, which I like.

Here is a picture of how it looks like:

PS: My view of the problem is that BZ2 handles only a certain amount of mouse input data, so if you do a small or slow mouse move and send (I'm just paraphrasing) 100 pixels of movement data for left/right, it will move your ship about 90° rather quickly. If you do a quicker or longer move, to let's say turn your ship almost around, you are sending 500 pixels of movement data to BZ2, but it captures only 1/5, so you still move your ship only about 90°. Vice versa for up/down moves.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

There are two options to control that kind of stuff, "options.play.mouseaccel", and "options.play.smoothing"

Try them with different settings, see if they help. One is in the PLAY options menu, I believe the other is not, you will need to open the console with Ctr+~ and type that in, and then change the number (0 is off, 1 is on)
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

General BlackDragon wrote:There are two options to control that kind of stuff, "options.play.mouseaccel", and "options.play.smoothing"

Try them with different settings, see if they help. One is in the PLAY options menu, I believe the other is not, you will need to open the console with Ctr+~ and type that in, and then change the number (0 is off, 1 is on)
Thank you for these commands. If it fails, I'll revert to an earlier alpha, or perhaps the latest beta.

Also, I think this falls under bug sections, as 1:1 speed/acceleration should be set by default (regardless of in-game yaw/pitch sensitivity settings).
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

Also, if anyone experiences the same, or similar, please post here, or if someone figures out what the culprit is.
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

Basically, it's easy (at least for me) to reproduce - do a quick sweep to left or right with your mouse (imagine it's a reflex and you want to turn to that side), your ship will move slowly and not by a large amount. As I said, it's like BZ2 is not registering long fast mouse movements...

It's as if your own ship lags behind the mouse on faster/longer moves, yet on fine slow moves the ship is over responsive...
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

Just reporting that I got the feel of the game, basically I need to adapt to vehicle when fine aiming (where small fast moves result in higher sensitivity) and trying to turn it (where I need to slowly follow my vehicle's turning speed), it's a bit weird, definitely not 1:1.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Basically, it's easy (at least for me) to reproduce - do a quick sweep to left or right with your mouse (imagine it's a reflex and you want to turn to that side), your ship will move slowly and not by a large amount. As I said, it's like BZ2 is not registering long fast mouse movements...
BZ2 doesn't accumulate large amounts of inertia from your mouse. It updates input 10 times per second, applies it. A giant quick force applied your mouse doesn't accumulate, or moving backward afterwards would be harder. BZ2 is moving a craft with inertia, so you need to keep applying force over time. Do not think of BZ2 craft like Quake|Unreal|etc first person shooters where you control a crazed weasel on crack running down hallways at 35+ miles per hour and jumping crazily. Instead, BZ2 follows the model of a car/airplane, where if you snap the controls to the side then back, it does not affect it as much as a longer, consistent application of force.

-- GSH
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

Exactly that!

It was just a bit hard to get used to in the start... I believe I kinda remember Scout units being very responsive back then, but who knows what mouse settings I had back than, it was a mouse with a ball afterall :D