All gamespy services dead 2014/05/31 (?)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Commando
Flying Mauler

Re: All gamespy services dead 2014/05/31 (?)

Post by Commando »

Unfortunately there are only a handful of people with the programming background that could accomplish this task so it is rather moot. Only one of them has the SDK for raknet and therefore the code for NATNeg.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Commando wrote:Actually it does. The server can be specified in gameprefs.ini.
That's a pleasant discovery, but if we were to have multiple servers that would be better exposed to the shell.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

There are a lot of directions we could go...I was doing some reading about this on the web and this topic might be a good place to compile ideas for starts ...
I know you have been working hard on trying to figure out how to get ranknet to be more usable and having something new to work with a huge improvement.
this could be an opportunity to design something that best fits bz2 and our communities needs for one .
also something I wanted to mention ....we never get 1000 s of players all at once so the server wouldent have to be the biggest thing to hit gamming.
but just in case we do get 100's of players be nice to have the power to if the demand got bigger we could deal with it latter and upgrade.

yes we need something more than ??? when NATNeg is used and storing in a database is probably something a server should use ...I don't find the third point controversial ...transperancy is honesty...but that's only my opinion ....we need to keep in mind we can not impose on others.

perhaps we can hammer out a guidline or a bz charter of rights and freedoms lol its just an example ....what are our farthest possible boundries that is acceptable by the community and work withing those brackets .
what do we want or need ?
also compile a complete list . by list I mean many things....but you know what I mean ....without a blueprint .there is no starting point
and to get the ball rolling a most of the people who commented here all seem like if not the best some of the best candidates to compile such a list...not excluding anyone...since we know there are other alfa geeks out there .
:P
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

The matchmaking server has been an option in gameprefs since early 1.3. Even Public Beta 1 allowed you to override the gamespy server list.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

One thing I had brought up is the adding a secondary matchmaking server, similar to how DNS works. If the primary DNS can't resolve an address, it moves onto the next specified server, then to the next, until there aren't any more DNS servers specified to query.

Basically my suggestion was to add additional servers in gameprefs, if the primary isn't responding, it moves onto the secondary. If the secondary isn't responding, it moves down the list. GSH indicated this wasn't something that would be easy to implement so I don't see this as being a feasible option.
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

if you had the software development kit ...i'm imagining you'd still need the bz code to do anything with it ...and even if you had all that stuff its still be a shot in the dark to get it working...I remember when raknet just came to this community it was a lot of trial en error befor it ran smoothly ...happy it did thow.

since were on the subject does anyone here think we have a long standing future with raknet?
not saying we don't just wondering
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

No idea. Yes bz2 would have to change for certain aspects, like ping being listed when NATNeg is used. Things like that would need to be modified in bz2.

If the server were reverse engineered to work like the regular raknet server, bz2 should be able to communicate with it without any changes.

Players would need to modify their gameprefs file to point to the new server, if a backup server were even set up. If the software were made, I would suggest just using the new server and using raknet as a backup. That way his server isn't a target for DDoSes. I remember one strat player saying that Raknet had been attacked by DoSes by our favorite community DoSer.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I'd love to whip something up but you guys know my project count.

Though something interesting is coming down the pipe that a few ppl know about.
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

When Commando mentioned that if then server were reversed engineered ...I thought about you Nielk1 but yeah I figured you were already swomped with other projects....

does the network address translation negociation cause that much lag or resynks commando? ...I know I have experienced resynk and how annoying that can be ...but its not so much that we cant play the game...thow could be considered a nuisance for sure.
I'd love to whip something up but you guys know my project count.

Though something interesting is coming down the pipe that a few ppl know about.
I hope this is good news ...keep us posted plz ...cause I haven't heared of anything new ...thow you seem to know something .
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

NATNeg shouldn't cause any more resyncs than not using it. NATNeg just allows you to host without using port forwarding.
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

Yes i remember when raknet just started testing we had to port forward router in order to host games ...now that problem was fixed ...than we still had other issues I rember the multiword frequency popping up... faking moves and others to name a few...
but how does ping being listed when NETNag is used a problem? a simple question ....

and if players had to modify their gamepref ini to point to the new server if a backup server where made ...might be a small price to pay in order to shake off dos attacks

the worry might be some players wouldent know how to or that the option even exsisted ...adding a button in hud to make it user friendly ...or some user friendly option whould be available for such .I know its a simple thing modifying gamepref.ini....but not everyone will do it if its to hard.
but that would talking way in the future...
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Bz2 reads the gameprefs at launch and therefore the raknet server address.