Tried it, doesn't work...install on windows 7

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Briar
Scrap

Tried it, doesn't work...install on windows 7

Post by Briar »

HELP!..I've tried installing BZ2 in Windows 7. I've done what GSH said in the first part of his instructions. In the second part I can find the set-up folder, but see nothing that says setup.exec. I try to install the game and when it requires DirectX6, I tell it to install it. Then I get a msg that says "successfully installed, and when you click on OK it tells me to restart the comp. When I restart I'm right back to having to install DirectX. I have Direct 9 and 10 installed. I have been playing this game since the 90's. I still play it on the comp at my Karate studio, but it is 15 miles from my home. HELP ME SOMEONE!!!!!! 8-)
Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Tried it, doesn't work...install on windows 7

Post by Ded10c »

D:/Setup/Setup.exe, not *.exec. You can safely cancel out of the DirectX install if you've done it once already since you're patching to a version that will need DX9 anyway.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

By default, Windows hides file extensions, so the ".exe" part is missing. That is a security risk. Use Microsoft's instructions to show file extensions. Once you've done that, you can run setup.exe inside the setup folder.

-- GSH
Briar
Scrap

Post by Briar »

Thanks guys. I'm not at home right now, so it will be tomorrow before I can try any of this. Just a note tho. I am not as PC savvy as some of you. I need a little more explanation to understand what I'm suppose to do.
Briar
Scrap

Post by Briar »

The game started install but when it gets to the point that it wants DirectX6, it says it has been installed. When I tell it to finish it tells me to restart the PC. When I restart I'm right back to the point of having to load DirectX again and it does the same thing. I have DirectX9 installed. I'm not as computer literate as most of you guys so any help here will have to be so I can understand what I'm suppose to do. And Thanks for the assistance.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Thanks guys. I'm not at home right now, so it will be tomorrow before I can try any of this. Just a note tho. I am not as PC savvy as some of you. I need a little more explanation to understand what I'm suppose to do.
If you go to the Microsoft Instructions I linked earlier, they have a button partway down the page (under "More Information") that is a "fix it for me" download from them that does all the work to show file extensions.

Once you open the BZ2 CD, then the setup folder on the BZ2 CD, run setup.exe. Once that's done, since you're on Windows 7, I strongly urge you to patch up to Battlezone 1.3.6.4. Battlezone 2 on CD is built for Windows 98; 1.3.6.* is for modern Windows.

-- GSH
Briar
Scrap

Post by Briar »

I have attempted to install this BZ2 again. I have the patch (Battlezone 1.3.6.4)and DirectX9 installed. When I try to run the game it stops at the DirectX6 install and tells me to install 6. When I do that it tells me to restart. After restart I am right back to install DirectX6 again. Can't get past that point.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Windows 7 comes with DirectX 11. You do not and should not try to install DirectX 6. But, what is installed from the BZ2 CD is designed for Windows 98 and doesn't work too well with Windows 7.

Here's a checklist of what you should do to run on Windows 7:
1. Install from CD. Appears complete
2. Install the Battlezone II patch 1.3.6.4 - see the master Battlezone II patch website to download 1.3.6.4 public beta installer. Run that.
3. Install the Battlezone II patch 1.3.6.4z43 - see the master Battlezone II patch website to download 1.3.6.4z43. Unpack that zip, then copy its files over what was installed in step 2.

-- GSH